HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Day 11! Answers due by 9:00 p.m., June 27 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

...and don't forget that the day-before-yesterday's art photo is still live!

Good luck, and have fun!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 11 Answers!

Logo:
      AbsoluteChaos, Surfingfarmboy, Linkmeister, Glen Miyashiro, Moto, mel, kimo55, helen, and Lavagal all recognized the Central Pacific Bank logo; of nine respondants tonight, all nine of them knew this one! And look: A Moto sighting!

Art:
      Man, I hate this painting on the wall above the Queen Street / South Street Kinko's. The eyes in the mountains are kind of cool, but the shark (which intentionally is not seen in this picture) is all wrong, unless I'm getting the painting all wrong. Take a close look at it next time and tell me you don't see something wrong with how it's painted! Mountain apples go to Glen Miyashiro, kimo55, and Lavagal for recognizing one of the ugliest murals I've seen in this town.

Building:
      Ah, yes. The Board of Water Supply's Kakaako Pumping Station: highly visible, much-discussed, long-unused, and most interesting. AbsoluteChaos, Linkmeister, Glen Miyashiro, Mel, helen, kimo55, and Lavagal all recognized the venerable landmark. Additionally, mel provides this linke to a great article about the building. Personally, I always thought it would make a lovely playhouse, although I also like the brewpub idea!

Okay, the art photo from three days ago is the Nagasaki Peace Bell on the grounds of the city's municipal center, close to the Punchbowl / Beretania intersection and right behind the Early Education Center. If you went to Taste of Honolulu, you were very close to it. Apparently my clue about it being rung once a year is wrong. It seems that in addition to the the anniversary date of the Nagasaki bombing, the bell is also rung on Martin Luther King Day. My mother is a past and possibly current president of the Honolulu chapter of Nagasaki Kenjinkai, which is why she's rung the bell.

Surfingfarmboy and Glen Miyashiro scored on that photo's last day.

Here are the current standings!
      21: Glen Miyashiro
      16: kimo55
      13: helen
      12: mel
      11: Surfingfarmboy
      10: AbsoluteChaos
      7: dick
      6: cezanne
      5: 1stwahine, Linkmeister
      3: Lavagal
      2: jdub
      1: moto

N]ew P}hoto]s, next] post]], ]if th]is st]upi]d malf]u]nct]ining key]board doesn't] dri]ve me] b]at]t]y f]irst]!} T]his po]st] took an] hour t]o write]! ]]]]}]w]]
      ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
      Last edited by scrivener; June 27, 2005, 11:00 PM.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 12! Answers due by 9:00 p.m., June 28 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          I know nobody asked, but I always thought the components of this mural, taken separately, were much more interesting than the mural itself, so here are a few details.

[center][img]http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/contest/campuscenter4.jpg
          [img]http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/contest/campuscenter2.jpg
          [img]http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/contest/campuscenter3.jpg
          For those interested, the mural's title is Hawai`i Ka`u Kumu, which I think means "Hawaii, Our Teacher." It is credited to Calley O'Neill with Theresa Ho, Christopher Turco, and others, 1982.
          I remember them painting that.

Comment

Day 12 Answers!

Logo:
            What is it about bank logos? Are they so visible that they plaster themselves into our brains, or do the banks just do a really good job of selecting effective symbols? I don't know, but perhaps Glen Miyashiro, shave ice, helen, Surfingfarmboy, mel, AuntieNellieKulolo, dick, or kimo55, who all identified this logo, could answer.

Art:
            This is not very well shot. Don't laugh, dick--I took it in a hurry!
            This sculpture, by Mamoru Sato, is called Passage and is located on Punchbowl Street, near the parking garage. A close looks reveals that the side "entrance" of the passage is colored black, to represent the difficult periods we face. The face of the "exit" is mirrored, to illustrate our condition when we emerge from the difficult times. Congratulations to Glen Miyashiro, AuntieNellieKulolo, dick, and helen, who recognized the rather interesting (or "goofy" as Glen Miyashiro calls it!) work. Most popular wrong guess: The people standing around outside the UH Law Library.

Building:
            Easily the most recognizable building on the island, except for maybe Aloha Tower, the State Capitol Building symbolizes a volcanic island, complete with surrounding water, concrete palm tree pillars, and crater, opening up to the sky. Do you know that our Capitol building is the only capitol building in the country that doesn't have a rotunda? I say that makes it cool all by itself, don't you? By the way, does anyone know the story on that American Savings Bank building on Ward (hm...banks again) that looks like a miniature version of the capitol? Always was curious about that. Political favors go out to Glen Miyashiro, shave ice, helen, Surfingfarmboy, mel, Moto, Linkmeister, AuntieNellieKulolo, dick, kimo55, and Lavagal for correctly identifying the building.

H]ere are the cu]rrent] standings!
            24: Glen Miyashiro
            20: kimo55
            16: helen
            14: mel
            13: Surfingfarmboy
            10: AbsoluteChaos, dick
            6: cezanne, Linkmeister
            5: 1stwahine
            4: Lavagal
            3: AuntieNellieKulolo
            2: jdub, shave ice
            1: moto

New Photos, Next Post!]]]]]]]]]
            Last edited by scrivener; June 28, 2005, 10:51 PM.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 13! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. June 29 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo: Not really a logo, but it'll have to do for today!

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                What is it about bank logos? Are they so visible that they plaster themselves into our brains, or do the banks just do a really good job of selecting effective symbols?
                Hey, when you see that logo on an envelope -- one that you want to open and know the contents of -- once a month for years and years, it kinda seeps into your subconscious.

Comment

Day 13 Answers!

Logo: Actually, I stopped by the warehouse store today and this little guy was on everything, so I guess he is a logo.
                  I took a nice picture of the menehune next to the Menehune Mac sign, but suddenly the GIMP is giving me problems, so perhaps tomorrow.
                  Mac nut cookies go to kimo55, Moto, Lavagal, helen, and Keith H for identifying Mac!

Art:
                  Nobody got it, so here's a second look.

Building:
                  I expected this one to be tougher, but "Honolulu Hale," said kimo55, dick, helen, Lavagal, 1stwahine, Glen Miyashiro, Keith H., and mel!

Okay. Current standings! Note: Yesterday's score for Moto was wrong; this is (or should be) the correct version.

25: Glen Miyashiro
                  22: kimo55
                  18: helen
                  15: mel
                  13: Surfingfarmboy
                  11: dick
                  10: AbsoluteChaos
                  6: cezanne, Linkmeister, 1stwahine, Lavagal
                  3: AuntieNellieKulolo, moto
                  2: jdub, shave ice, Keith H.

New photos, next post!
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 14! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. June 30 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo: Sorry about the size! I'll get the stupid image editor working tomorrow. And yeah. It's out of focus.

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 14 Answers!

Logo:
                      I always liked this one. It's an A and it's a wave. Simple and graceful and wholly appropriate. Five bucks of unleaded go to Glen Miyashiro, helen, kimo55, Surfingfarmboy, dick, mel, Moto, AbsolutChaos, Linkmeister, and lavagal!

Art:
                      This is a monument commemorating the hundredth anniversary of the first Korean immigrants in Hawaii, and is located in Pawaa Park between King and Young (and Keeaumoku and Kalakaua). I never really thought much of this, but perhaps I just don't know enough about Korean art. Fried mandoo and taegu go out to Glen Miyashiro, helen, dick, mel, and lavagal for remembering a sight we've all driven past a zillion times!

Building:
                      Nice job. It's another look at the brand-new UH Medical School building in Kakaako, this time without the gigantic taro leaves. Ten CCs of plasma, STAT! to Glen Miyashiro, helen, dick, and mel for their sharp eyes. Wait, that sounds like the plasma is for their eyes, and that's not what I meant.

Okay. Yesterday's art. It's called Ka Hooilina Mau Loa. It's in what's called Grover Cleveland Park (which AbsolutChaos knew!) behind the Keelikolani Building on the Queen Street side, near Punchbowl Street. According to Donald Harvey, the artist, the title means "The Eternal Legacy" and symbolizes the legacies left by Kamehameha the Great, Ruth Keelikolani, and Bernice Pauahi Bishop for the people of Hawaii. I always think of synchronized swimming when I see it. Look at it! So yeah. This complete view rang the bells for Glen Miyashiro, dick, mel, and AbsolutChaos!

Here are t]he current standings!
                      29: Glen Miyashiro
                      23: kimo55
                      20: helen
                      19: mel
                      15: dick
                      14: Surfingfarmboy
                      12: AbsoluteChaos
                      7: Linkmeister, lavagal
                      6: cezanne, 1stwahine
                      4: moto

New photos, next post!
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 15! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. July 1, in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 15 Answers!

Logo:
                          Ooooooh...no winners on this one! So I'll give you another shot and a clue:

Art:

Yes. It's the tile mural on the United Public Workers building on School Street in Kalihi (right next to Golden Palace, a pretty good Chinese restaurant), a building that's seen more than its share of taking out the trash, but perhaps I should watch what I say, lest someone find me floating face-down in Nuuanu Stream next weekend. AbsolutChaos, Glen Miyashiro, dick, and lavagal may take a cigarette break on school grounds for getting it right! Sure it's illegal, but UPW members are exempt from that law because of their collective bargaining agreement!

Building:
                          It's not the best whatever-it-is, but it's not bad and it's convenient, and the place has ambience: Perry's Smorgy on Kuhio Avenue in Waikiki! Extra horseradish for helen, dick, and AbsoluteChaos for knowing their Waikiki!

Here are the current standings, with three days left to play!
                          30: Glen Miyashiro
                          23: kimo55
                          21: helen
                          19: mel
                          17: dick
                          14: Surfingfarmboy, AbsolutChaos
                          8: lavagal
                          7: Linkmeister
                          4: moto

New photos, next post!
                          Last edited by scrivener; July 1, 2005, 10:53 PM.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 15! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. July 2, in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Three Days Left!

Day 16 Answers!

Logo:
                              Another menehune! Cold bottles go to helen, AbsolutChaos, Glen Miyashiro, mel, lavagal, Linkmeister, Surfingfarmboy, and Moto for recognizing the little guy.

Art:
                              Aaaaaaand nobody got it! So here's a second look. Woof! Woof!

Building:
                              Well! Only helen and Lavagal recognized the Honolulu Fire Department's training facility at the Ewa end of Nimitz, near the airport. If you take the airport viaduct into town , you probably see it every morning! Well, the top of it, anyway. It's much easier to see if you're getting on from Hickam, actually.

Other guesses: A back view of the Occidental Building (good guess, I say), some part of Halawa Prison, and "I swear this building looks like a medical building that sits on this makai side of North King Street somewhere between (appx.) the Kapalama Canal and Akepo. The building I'm thinking has an outdoor stairwell that looks just like the one in your picture..the stairwell leads to different levels of a parking garage, and it's easily seen from N. King. But hey, enough description of a building that is probably not the one you're looking for. Anyway, my guess: It's a medical building on North King Street." That last one is from Surfingfarmboy, whose guesses are always entertaining!

King Street between Dillingham and Waiakamilo DOES have a whole bunch of very distinct buildings. I'm endlessly fascinated by the architecture in the area.

Okay. Nobody got the logo photo from two days ago, so here's your last shot, and a new clue:

Current Standings! Here They Are!
                              31: Glen Miyashiro
                              23: kimo55, helen
                              20: mel
                              17: dick
                              15: Surfingfarmboy, AbsolutChaos
                              10: lavagal
                              8: Linkmeister
                              5: moto

New photos, next post!
                              Last edited by scrivener; July 2, 2005, 10:17 PM.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 17! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. July 3, in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building: (All of them together)

Good luck, and have fun!
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X