No announcement yet.

New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What & Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What & Where?

Originally posted by Pomai
    [...]Still, this one was certainly the easiest yet. Enough that I didn't have to drive or walk around in order to identify 4 of 5, plus the accepted "theme" correctly.
    Easy, indeed. I didn't even have to play to score 5 points. I wonder what Palamakid didn't do to score 3 points I like this game!

Comment

The overhang was key, I knew. If I'd cropped any lower, it would have been nearly impossible to distinguish from the Municipal Building. I need to take another look at the federal building on Punchbowl. I'm curious about just how similar the architecture might be.
      Originally posted by tutusue
      Easy, indeed. I didn't even have to play to score 5 points. I wonder what Palamakid didn't do to score 3 points. I like this game!
      Heh. That's one way to look at it. You're guaranteed those 5 total points for the rest of this game!
      Originally posted by scrivener
      I thought your dad was a State employee.
      He's been an everything employee!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        [...]
        Heh. That's one way to look at it. You're guaranteed those 5 total points for the rest of this game!
        Now I like this game even more! I might even play it sometime!
        He's been an everything employee!
        And, not a bad dancer...at least that's how I remember it from the late 1980s...or was it early 1990s? <shrug!>

Comment

Re: New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What &amp; Where?

I wonder what Palamakid didn't do to score 3 points I like this game!
          Truss me, this is on the up-and-up . . . at least in my case.

Look it up. My tree points came from my only entry into this game involving the Ala Moana Center.

Obviously, being away for over 30 years doesn't help me in this game. I am embarrassed though. The photos included some of my 1950's childhood haunts. Aaah . . . the memory fades.

Palama Kid
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid
            Truss me, this is on the up-and-up . . . at least in my case.

Look it up. My tree points came from my only entry into this game involving the Ala Moana Center.
            [...]
            Huh? You got your points...honestly?! I will now hang my head in shame.

Comment

Huh? You got your points...honestly?! I will now hang my head in shame.
              So did you, Tutusue! (Ala Moana round.) And who knows how many games are left, so sharpen those eyes and get guessing!

Today's the last day for Game 6! Answers by 8 p.m., please. I think I'm going to bed early tonight.

Comment

So did you, Tutusue! (Ala Moana round.) And who knows how many games are left, so sharpen those eyes and get guessing!

Today's the last day for Game 6! Answers by 8 p.m., please. I think I'm going to bed early tonight.
                Yep! I remember recognizing the Ala Moana theme during an attack of insomnia one night! Don't think the insomnia hit during the government building game. As for game 6...I'll quit while I'm ahead!

Comment

There is no penalty for making the wrong guess, also keep in the mind that the theme is also worth a point too and so far for me that has been the easy part.

Comment

Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 6!

The Theme: "Famous Signs." I was really looking forward to this set, but ran out of time and didn't get several of the entries I might have included. The neat bit is, a couple of you guessed at signs that I was hoping to use. For what it's worth, the original theme was "neon signs," so some entries that were in my head but not in my camera included the Queen Theater on Waialae and City Mill on Nimitz... and doesn't Sekiya's in Kaimuki have a distinctive sign, too? I never made it there. Alas, the Flamingo Chuckwagon sign is long gone. Several movie marquees were under consideration, but most of my favorites were also long gone.

Photo 1: McCully Chop Sui at McCully and S. King St. Scrivener reports it's one of his favorite Chinese restaurants, which makes me ashamed to say -- despite having spent much of my youth stomping around Mo`ili`ili -- that I've never been there.

Photo 2: Leonard's Bakery on Kapahulu! I actually had second thoughts about this one when I realized that they'd put up a brand new sign. Still, the original design was clearly reproduced faithfully, and I guessed that this would be the giveaway. I was completely wrong. Only three folks correctly got it, though I got several, "Ooooh, I SWEAR I should know this one!"

Photo 3: This one turned out to be the easiest of the bunch. And here I was worried I cropped too tight. Yep, it's the sign for Likelike Drive Inn on Keeaumoku.

Photo 4: This was the one that broke my "neon" theme, reducing it to "famous signs" or even just "signs" (which is plainly obvious, but I was feeling generous). This is the Hawaiian Rent-All marquee at the corner of McCully and Beretania. Sadly, the current sayings and slogans they're putting up now are nowhere near as original and clever as I remember them being as a kid.

Photo 5: It's the Varsity Theatre on University. I so love this theater, and my parents' stories of attending UH classes held there. When other historic movie theaters in Honolulu started dropping like flies a few years back (Kuhio Twins, Kapiolani, Cinerama, and of course Waikiki), I was sure of the Varsity's impending demise. It's still there, though. For how long? Who knows.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

33 pts.: Scrivener
                    28 pts.: Mel
                    25 pts.: Zztype
                    22 pts.: Pomai, AbsolutChaos
                    18 pts.: Helen
                    15 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
                    10 pts.: Linkmeister
                    9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, Dick
                    7 pts: 1stwahine
                    5 pts.: Tutusue
                    3 pts.: Palamakid

New game, next post!

Comment

Here's Honolulu Zoom, Game 7!

Send your answers or guesses to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 5. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

Comment

Yep, it's the sign for Likelike Drive Inn on Keeaumoku.

This is the Hawaiian Rent-All
                        This was the most difficult of the picture series so far, at least for me. I rarely go to most of these places, except for LikeLike Drive In, which I offer this night shot: Likelike Lighted Up

As for Hawaiian Rent-All, we've all passed this place many times, usually in a rush in traffic only. The place was sold a few years ago and I guess the new owners don't have too many whimsical things to say as the previous one.

I am going to have to get a night shot of that Leonard's Bakery sign. That looks very interesting by day, must be neat at night.

I've only seen the Varsity mostly at day, so I cannot even remember if the neon lights up at night. It is too bad that many years ago the theater was split in two. Would have been better if it was one single big screen... but we know big single screen theaters don't make money and chopping it in two will not help it in the long run as several developers who want to redo this area have other plans for the property.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Arrrrgh! I called it "University Theater!" I know better than that @!*#$!
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

At first glance I thought the theme was "Kapahulu Avenue". I thought that the Like Like sign was Rainbow's Drive-inn sign. This, because I "kind of" recognized the Leonard's Bakery arrow. When I showed a print-out of the photo set to my co-workers, they immediately corrected me and said it was Like Like Inn. They had no clue what the other photos were. Damned it PZ!

So I drove down Koreamoku to confirm, and sure enough it was Like Like. But nothing else on the puzzle was located on Keeaumoku. That's when I gave up looking. Once I realized this picture set was spread out all over town that was it.

It's just too dangerous for me to drive around Honolulu, while at the same time trying to look up at buildings. I need to pay attention to the lolo drivers on the road.

Anyhow, my co-worker started taking photos around town with his 12x optical zoom Canon PowerShot S2 and making his own Zoom game for us. Good fun! I think I'll have to upgrade my budget PowerShot A510 to an ultra-zoom model.

Thanks PZ for such a fantastic game concept!
                            Last edited by Pomai; December 3, 2005, 10:19 AM. Reason: Canon upgrades
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 7!

The Theme: "Places of Worship." Or "Churches." Or even "Facilities of a Religious or Spiritual Nature." I wasn't sure how to cover them all with a PC phrase, but if you were in the neighborhood, you got the point. Easiest theme yet, I think! True fact: I took eleven photos for this set. All over the island. But very few were distinctive enough, in my mind, to include as one of the five.

Photo 1: I started with the stumper... although if you drove into Kailua often over the Pali, you'd probably know this one. This is Kailua Baptist Church, right on Kailua Road about a half mile past St. Francis on the left. At least in my mind, this structure was always relatively distinctive. But it's definitely the smallest building in this group! Not a single person got it. Maybe I should have left Central Union Church in, instead!

Photo 2: By contrast, everyone got this one. Yes, it's Kawaihao Church, across from City Hall and the Hawaii State Library. Notes Pomai, it's "notable for the hand-quarried coral bricks that make up the main structure."

Photo 3: It's the Cathedral Church of St. Andrew at Beretania and Queen Emma streets. There's a great write-up about the cathedral, complete with QuickTime 3-D tours, here on the Star-Bulletin site.

Photo 4: It's the Honpa Hongwanji Mission Hawaii Betsuin on Pali Highway. Many of you got this one, but as I expected, a few of you guessed the temple tucked in the curve of Lunalilo Freeway, which you see on the right heading east just before the Punahou Street offramp. But c'mon, that one's pink!

Photo 5: It's the St. Augustine Church in the heart of Waikiki. A beautiful building in a bustling tourist mecca. I keep wishing there had been a way for the church to survive without building an ABC Store and other businesses on its front doorstep (blocking the front of the church from Kalakaua Avenue, and Waikiki beach).

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

37 pts.: Scrivener
                              33 pts.: Mel
                              30 pts.: Zztype
                              27 pts.: Pomai
                              26 pts.: AbsolutChaos
                              22 pts.: Helen
                              17 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
                              10 pts.: Linkmeister
                              9 pts.: Tutusue, Glen Miyashiro, Dick
                              7 pts: 1stwahine
                              3 pts.: Palamakid

New game, next post!

Comment

Photo 1: I started with the stumper... although if you drove into Kailua often over the Pali, you'd probably know this one. This is Kailua Baptist Church, right on Kailua Road about a half mile past St. Francis on the left. At least in my mind, this structure was always relatively distinctive. But it's definitely the smallest building in this group! Not a single person got it. Maybe I should have left Central Union Church in, instead!!
                                AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I did not get this one, but it was NOT a stumper! I KNEW this was Kailua Baptist! I am a Southern Baptist (as I've confessed in the past) and there are two Southern Baptist church-buildings on the island with roofs that look like this. Kailua and Pearl Harbor (where I was baptized, behind the Salt Lake Library). They had the same architect, and the roofs are designed to look like the cliffs of the nearby mountains. The only reason I didn't say Kailua Baptist is that it's not in Honolulu! I hate myself!
                                Last edited by scrivener; December 5, 2005, 09:33 PM. Reason: ...yeah, I'm gonna get loose; I need me a triple shot o' that juice!
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X