Ninja Is Missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ninja Is Missing

Help! My pet turtle Ninja is missing!! She was securely locked in her pen yesterday, and this morning she was gone!! I'm pretty sure she didn't escape...but who would want to steal her!??!

I am absolutely crushed. Ninja has been with me for 8 years. I plan to run an ad in the papers, and I've put up signs all over the neighborhood. Also called the Humane Society, and went to the emergency vet's clinic in Kaneohe. I don't know what else to do.

Do any of you have any ideas as to how I can get her back? Do people steal turtles in Hawaii? Where would someone take a 'found' turtle?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Ninja Is Missing!!

Oooooh BUMMERS, turtlegirl. If there was no way for Ninja to escape on her own then, yes, it's logical to assume she was stolen. Why? Who knows. Could be something as stupid as vandalism...a cheap thrill. Why do people egg houses? Neither that nor stealing a turtle makes any sense. But that doesn't stop idiots.

Comment

How big is she, and how secure is the enclosure? I hate to raise the possibility, but if she's small enough and if the enclosure's not 100% secure, a big bufo might have gotten in and eaten her. That's what we suspect happened to one of my wife's baby turtles a few years ago, back when they were small (only about 3 inches across). These days the surviving sibling is a lot bigger and less swallowable.

Comment

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Turtlegirl. Is her pen such that she could've burrowed down into the yard or under the fence or something like that. Some turtles do this burrowing thing, but I don't imagine all do. I hope you find her.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Ninja was in her temporary home - a child's playpen with a secure mesh top. No way out, as far as I can see. Also, she is HUGE! The size of a dinner plate, for lack of a better description. Probably 10-12 inches long or so. She caught a cold 3 years ago, and I took her to the vet, who was amazed at how big and healthy she was. Apparently most people don't take good enough care of their red-eared slider turtles, and they usually die from neglect young and small.

We searched everywhere - all the bushes and ditches, under houses and cars, anywhere we thought a turtle might hide, but no luck. I plan to call pet stores tomorrow to see if anyone has tried to sell her or something.

I also found an ad on Craigslist from someone who found an RES turtle in Kahaluu, and I'm holding my breath waiting for them to call me. Sven is pacing. We hope it's her!!

Thanks for ya'lls concern. I am racking my brain and wringing my hands trying to figure out how to find her.

Comment

ah, man! good luck, turtlegirl!!!!
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Is Ninja still missing, turtlegirl?

Comment

Thanks for asking. Yeah, she's still missing. I can hardly open my eyes, they're so puffy from crying.

Yesterday we put out 200 flyers all over the neighborhood. We got 2 calls about found turtles, but neither was Ninja. This morning we got a call about a turtle that was found run over by a car. Sven just left to go check it. I hope its not her.

I'm off to the big island today. I really need a break, and some R&R.

Wish I had better news for you.

Comment

the run over turtle was Ninja.

Aloha oe, until we meet again.

Comment

Re: Ninja Is Missing

Oooooh nooooo, turtlegirl. Whatta shame. I'm so sorry. Thank goodness for your BI trip. Hopefully it will give you the opportunity to start healing. Eight years is a long time to bond with an animal. Take care...

Comment

Oh, how awful. Sorry to hear the bad news - many of us have been there, and we know how deeply you hurt.

Comment

http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petloss/

Aloha Turtlegirl - how sorry I am to read of poor little Ninja. What a difficult time for you and Sven. If the above link can be useful to you I'd definitely
                        suggest you seek their support. When my beloved Maggie left us they were
                        of great comfort and help only a phone call away. These are veterinary
                        students who volunteer the hotline and besides being a great service to those grieving it gives the students a different and most valuable perspective on
                        their chosen profession. I continue to support them every now and then with a contribution to keep the work going.

Good thoughts come your way, have a restful time on the Big Island.
                        A hui hou

Comment

I feel sorry that you are sad, but at least now you don't have to wonder anymore what happened to her.
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

ah, damn! turtlegirl, my heart goes out to you. along with leashlaws, i know exactly how you feel to have lost a beloved pet.

the big island is very spiritual (for me , anyway) and i'm hoping that you will find peace and rest for you weary mind, body and soul.

just thinking? maybe you could adopt a turtle from the humane society? i saw several there some time ago.
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            reflect, repent and reboot.
                            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I'm so sorry, turtlegirl. Loosing a pet is very painful. When it's safe for me to do, I always get out and move turtles to safety when I see one trying to cross a road as it's common for them to get hit. That's a sad deal. I feel for you. Hopefully your trip to the Big Island will bring you some peace.

Comment

Working...
                              X