Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pomai
    replied
    Re: Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?

Whoah! Looks like I started a monster here with this thread. lol

In this DB category, "Most Revolting local TV ads" are beating out "Favorite Local TV Ads" 38 responses over 8. Ouch.

Entertaining responses none-the-less.

"Das Mah' Bank". lol

Leave a comment:

• talkstinkDotCom
    replied

The new winner has got to be the Taste of Honolulu spot. So disgust.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Saw a SlumberWorld commercial last night for their mattress sale and happened to notice the itsy-bitsy print at the bottom of the screen that said "Mattresses not as shown". So exactly what the hell were they showing us, and why can't they show the ones that are for sale?

And another thing: what's up with the company names SlumberWorld and SleepLand? They sound like amusement park names. Like they ought to have rides and concessions and such.

Leave a comment:

• Mocha
    replied

I've got nothing to add but thanks for all the laughs! I don't even remember all of the ads that are mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by tvguy
    No Craig, it was for a store similar to Rent-a-Center, Colortyme. And the line wasn't really stolen since it was put together by their ad agency in Idaho. (Hmmmm.......do i really want to let on that I know more about this spot than I should?????)

What I've found interesting about this thread is the number of big budget ad-agency conceptualized campaigns that everyone's complaining about. Problem is, as annoying as the many spots may be, you folks have remembered the spots and in most cases, who the advertiser was. I wish I got paid the big bucks to come up with these annoying commercials!!!!!

Originally posted by tvguy
    No Craig, it was for a store similar to Rent-a-Center, Colortyme. And the line wasn't really stolen since it was put together by their ad agency in Idaho. (Hmmmm.......do i really want to let on that I know more about this spot than I should?????)

What I've found interesting about this thread is the number of big budget ad-agency conceptualized campaigns that everyone's complaining about. Problem is, as annoying as the many spots may be, you folks have remembered the spots and in most cases, who the advertiser was. I wish I got paid the big bucks to come up with these annoying commercials!!!!!

you see how much of an impression that spot made on me? Anyway House of Adler used that motto back in the 70's.

I don't mind the corny ads...it's the really bad ads like the Jiffy Lube and the Colortyme ads (I know that had to be locally produced because it was too local)

You are 100% correct (actually 99%) about product identification and retention thru shock advertising, in this case corny ads. Obviously the Colortyme ad was a total waste of money with poor acting, a plagerized catch phrase and just poor camera work, basically your eyes and ears were raped and mutilated to the point of much needed therapy and rehab at Kuakini.

I love the BoH commercials because of it's lightheartedness. The butterfly ad for that other bank made no sense at all (can't even remember the name of that institution) but the motto "that's my bank" leads the viewer to ask the question, "What bank is that" and you watch to find out. I watch the butterfly ad just to see the killer legs. (Note to those women in that ad: You have great legs and all of your hard work at the gym doesn't go unnoticed!)

Like I said before the Cinnamon Girl ad was the best to me, simple and pure. You remember the ad but more importantly, you remember the company that ad represents in a tasteful and pleasing way. I don't think I'll ever go to Colortyme anytime soon because of that poor excuse of an ad.

So I take it you work for either an ad agency or a production company? Having worked in radio for many years and having to have dubbed my fair share of agency-produced spots, I've heard a lot of em some good some retarded, but entertaining none the less. Not so with Colortyme that was simply a bad ad. I classify the locally-produced Jiffy Lube ad with the bobbing heads as entertaining in a retarded way, but it got me to remember the name (Jiffy Lube) so that ad worked.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

How about the ads for the hearing aid doctor? I've never liked any of that series, but the latest one (running for a couple of months now) really irks me. At the end of the spot the doctor is sitting with (presumably) his wife, kids and grandkids. He mentions how important hearing aids are.
    And then the entire family bursts out in gales of laughter!

Leave a comment:

• b4ru
    replied

I hate that Kaiser commercial where the doctor is claiming that "{you can choose any doctor you want, we at Kaiser want you to be able to choose{" that is a total and complete lie, you cannot choose any doctor you want, only the ones on Kaiser's payroll. That commercial is a disgrace and false advertising.

Originally posted by Pomai
    There was a recent news article on the Quiznos TV ad featuring two rather controversially designed "critters".

Leave a comment:

• diamondhead
    replied

i agree with the sleepland usa commercial being the WORST. "hi i'm tanya from sleepland usa!!" the commercials are terrible, and i've met "tanya," and she isn't the nicest woman in person. so that is the most revolting commercial for me. i turn it off every time.

Leave a comment:

• KaLaNi J.
    replied

undefined

Lets face it, 85% of all Hawaii's spots are still being shot by old skool producers and developed by aged add agency creative directors. Perhaps their taking the Mentos approach and making everybody think that lame looking spots are cool. I'd like to see if the spots generate any biz if not the butt of jokes at the watering hole........

KaLaNi J

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

[QUOTE=dick]I find that those HECO buddhist ads are pretty offensive./QUOTE]

When I see those I think more of David Carradine in Kung Fu television and movies. I keep waiting for the guy to say "Well done, grasshopper," at the end of the spot.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

I can't believe I forgot to mention Mike McKenna's ill-advised "models" ads! Up until then, the company had a good reputation in my mind... a friendly car dealership with good word of mouth, and friendly, unassuming ads featuring his dog Hana Girl.

Then, one day, McKenna's car lot appears on TV, with half a dozen cookie-cutter "pretty girls" posing next to various vehicles. Doing their best Vanna White impression, they gesture and smile as one of them speaks nauseatingly of "models" and "curves" and various weak innuendo. The ad was disappointing and vaguely disturbing, since the models (here's one) are barely out of high school (if that).

As it turns out, they did at least two ads like this.

McKenna's seems to be a good company and a good corporate citizen, but whoever pitched and filmed these ads needs to be let go.

Leave a comment:

• tvguy
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

The Rent-A-Center ad with the stolen House of Adler slogan, "If you're buying your diamond somewhere else, you're paying too much."

Leave a comment:

• dick
    replied

I find that those HECO buddhist ads are pretty offensive. Put J. Christ on the cross expounding the virtues of a monopoly and people would freak out.

Leave a comment:

• dick
    replied

Those retarded PSAs with some clueless pseudo-rapper dude and a bunch of kids jabbering completely unintelligible jibberish about not smoking. Never fails to get me to reach for a cigarette and light up.

Leave a comment:

• oldshooter
    replied

The HECO ads with all the pseudo buddhist asking the 'master' for enlightenment about electricity and the guy ends by saying 'I am one with HECO. Dot com.' drive me nuts. I don't know why. Just do.
    I think the anti-ice PSAs produce by Waianae High School students are exceptional. They are so beyond anything else that the professionals are doing that it's not funny. I talked to a local television commercial director who was blown away and even a little worried by these commercials. Not only is the production value good but the concept quite advanced. I think it's fantastic to see such quality come out of not only a high school but especially a Leeward Coast high school.
    And I have to agree... those pursuit of happiness ads with the people with butterfly nets are aggravating. This is the other end of the spectrum of high concept... tried but completely missed the mark.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X