Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
    That is terrible pay. I thought extra's made way more than that!!

KalihiBoy
    But just think... free pupu's and a chance for a photo opt. with Hurley!

If the extra worked 8 hours... that would break it down to $6.25 per hour (and minimum wage here in hawaii is $6.75 right now...

So it's not only terrible pay... I would say... it's almost illegal... (However, I'm sure they are standing around doing nothing for the majority of the time)

Comment

KalihiBoy
      Heck, some of us LOST fans on the mainland would pay our way to Hawaii just for the chance to appear as an extra on LOST.

John

Comment

Originally posted by fisch1
        Heck, some of us LOST fans on the mainland would pay our way to Hawaii just for the chance to appear as an extra on LOST.

John
        Hah, yeah I would just do it to tell friends on the mainland that I was an extra on Lost. But an extra $50 for that day is a plus, although not as much as I thought it would be. Thanks for the info.
        Arturo

Comment

KalihiBoy
          Commercial extras make more than tv and movie extras. Union extras make more than non-union extras. Within the union there is more than one category of extra and the rates are different. That said, no one gets rich being a 'background artist'! The $50. rate is for a non-union extra which is hired after the prescribed quota of union extras is filled.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Comment

I got to be a 'background extra' for "LOST," and indeed got $50. They ended up cutting the entire, elaborate scene (but I'm holding out hope for the DVD). But yeah, any fan would do it for free. And frankly, I'm told the most valuble part of the gig was the pay stub, rather than the check, as it apparently (had I ever gotten down to the carpentry shop on Nimitz) makes one eligible to buy official, crew-only "LOST" merchandise.

Comment

Well, as I said to you on email, it makes sense that this site is still there. If this is where the season ends it surely makes sense that Season 3 will also begin there so it makes no sense to take down the set.
              Scott, the other "LOST" fan who I ran into at the Makapu'u location, said a friend of his who works on the crew told him they were actually breaking down the set yesterday. That it would be used next season, but just rebuilt, not left out there over the summer. Not sure if it's true, and won't be out that way in the near future, but if so, I'm sure glad I took off on a whim to check it out on Saturday -- even though I'm still aching today!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                Scott, the other "LOST" fan who I ran into at the Makapu'u location, said a friend of his who works on the crew told him they were actually breaking down the set yesterday.
                Yep, since today is the last day of filming until next July or August. (Not sure if you saw my earlier post, PZ.)
                Also, there was one helluva wrap party Sunday night for the cast and crew, over at an oceanfront estate in Kailua, near the Aikahi Park area.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Arrgh! Questions, nothing but questions! And a new website (http://www.sublymonal.com) to try (I did; it may want a password to get past the initial flash page)!
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

For tonight's episode (5/10/06) I thought the flashback for Eko was kind of weak. While it did answer as to why Eko was in Australia, there is also a path crossed with another character's encounter from the first season.

The story on the island was okay as far the "pearl" goes.

Comment

Helen,

I agree with you. I disliked this episode. Eko's flashback actually never explained why he was in Australia. It showed that he wanted to leave Australia for the USA. What took him from Nigeria to Australia?

The thing with Ana and his brother appearing in his dreams and his brother in Locke's dream bothered me. The producers keep claiming this show is not about purgatory or religion, but they're really pushing it. Understand, I'm quite religious myself, but I don't want this show to go there.

The producers keep saying there's a logical explanation to everything. I'll believe that when the finally explain the dreams people have and the visions they have when they're awake.

John

Comment

I can finally beat my friend pzarquon to the punch. The scenes with Eko in the church with the Monseigneur and the girl's mother were filmed at Saint Andrew's Cathedral in Queen Emma's Square in Honolulu. I visited there last year and you can see a screencap from last night's show and my photos here:

http://john_fischer.home.mindspring....andrews_01.htm

John

Comment

I loved it. Given the one-week spoiler tag rule, you can read our thoughts in depth here. In short, while the new clues and answers came with more mysteries, and while some things are simply inexplicable (the dreams), the episode was put together well enough that I forgot to look for holes and just enjoyed the ride. It reminded me of Season 1, where strange things also happened, but we were entertained enough by the story and weren't yet conditioned to pick apart every detail.

It felt like a Season 1 episode, or at least reminded me of the magic back then. I'm still skeptical enough to suspect I'm being sold a bill of goods, that the writers are improvising, but this week at least I enjoyed being taken for a ride and believing, for example, that they always meant to connect "Deus Ex Machina" (where Boone died at the plane/cliff) with this week's return trip.

Libby's fate was heart wrenching. Cliche but still well done. Her story's not done by a long shot, so while I was surprised at her getting shot, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of her.

And the setup for next week? Even better than last week!

I mean the way the episode ended, with the music and mood and montage, and given that the title for next week is 'Three Minutes' -- the length of the countdown once it starts beeping -- and that Locke and Eko have officially taken opposing sides on the 'button' issue. But yeah, the preview looked pretty darn good, too. I saw flashes of the Makapu'u set I visited on Saturday, so it'll be great to see it on screen.

Yes, Eko was at St. Andrews (spotted filming there on April 5), and returned to Manoa Valley Inn (first seen in "Raised by Another" last season) for the psychic.

Comment

The producers keep claiming this show is not about purgatory or religion, but they're really pushing it. Understand, I'm quite religious myself, but I don't want this show to go there.

Yeah, they keep denying it. But then they come at us with the phony author "Gary Troup", whose name is an anagram for "Purgatory". Make up your mind, producers!

Of course, "Gary Troup" is also an anagram for "Yogurt Rap". That might make for a more interesting plot twist: The "Him" they keep referring to isn't Alvar Hanso, but Snoop Dannon Dogg. Or the guy from Kid & Yoplait.

Ugh. I need sleep.

Comment

Yo Paulie!

PLEASE keep posting when you're sleep-deprived. That last one was joyously amusing!
                              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata
                                Yeah, they keep denying it. But then they come at us with the phony author "Gary Troup", whose name is an anagram for "Purgatory". Make up your mind, producers!
                                I'm pretty sure they're messing with us on purpose. Because the purgatory theories are so prevalent, there are constant references to the afterlife. "I'm already dead" has been said a few times by different characters. Tonight? The psychic daughter references meeting Yemi "in between worlds."

Just like how Hurley's line about "another time" when he was working with Sayid on the radio on the beach was, IMHO, just a jab at the "time travel" theorists.
                                Of course, "Gary Troup" is also an anagram for "Yogurt Rap". That might make for a more interesting plot twist: The "Him" they keep referring to isn't Alvar Hanso, but Snoop Dannon Dogg. Or the guy from Kid & Yoplait.
                                You know, there were references in the show a couple of weeks back to one "Neil Frogurt," the frozen yogurt guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X