Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Originally posted by Paul Ogata
    Yeah, they keep denying it. But then they come at us with the phony author "Gary Troup", whose name is an anagram for "Purgatory". Make up your mind, producers!

Of course, "Gary Troup" is also an anagram for "Yogurt Rap". That might make for a more interesting plot twist: The "Him" they keep referring to isn't Alvar Hanso, but Snoop Dannon Dogg. Or the guy from Kid & Yoplait.

Ugh. I need sleep.
    'Troup' is a show biz name whether or not 'Lost' intended that! I just took a major trip down Memory Lane googling the Troup family! Good memories, too! I didn't remember a 'Gary' and it seems that's 'cuz there wasn't one! At least within that particular family.

Snoop Dannon Dogg? Bwaha! Just where do you come up with these tidbits?! Now, if only I could be that creative when sleep deprived!

Comment

I rewatched the episode tonight and noticed that in the Pearl station there are 9 TV screens but there are only 6 stations.

Comment

If you ever have recently worked with 3/4" video tapes...

You would have gotten a good kick out of this episode...

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          If you ever have recently worked with 3/4" video tapes...[...]
          3/4" is still available and in use?! Oh, wait. That's OT! Did you watch 'Lost' on 3/4?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
            3/4" is still available and in use?! Oh, wait. That's OT! Did you watch 'Lost' on 3/4?
            Um... well yeah their still in use... archival footage, etc...

A lot is now getting transfered to digital means...

But yeah.... my office still has a few 3/4" decks that are still working and useable...

(not that we use them that much)

Comment

When I was in college back from 1972-76 I worked for the Audio Visual Department doing TV filming. We actually used reel to reel video tape decks for a couple of years and then switched to these 3/4 inch cassettes back around 1974. The cost of the decks were in the thousands of dollars and the tapes were really expensive too. Even when around 1980 I got my first VHS home machine, VHS tapes were costing $20-$25 apiece. Now you can get them for about a dollar each and 50 DVDs for about $19.99 on sale. Boy have times changed.

My first video camera for home had no audio unless you had a mike hooked up. It also had to be hooked into a video recorder to use. My next one was a VHS-C camera which was still big and bulky and only so-so quality. My current Canon is only about the size of my palm and has broadcast quality.

Boy have times changed!

John

Comment

The family and I had a busy day yesterday checking out a few more "LOST" locations. We started out at Papailoa/Police Beach, where I was happy to discover the "tent city" was still standing. There was also a security guard there who told me not to take pictures, so I stopped. Eventually.

Then we drove around Waialua, also known as Mr. Eko's Nigerian village, the home of Rose and Bernard's spiritual healer Isaac, and the spot where Sawyer and Cassidy planned their jewelry con (the photo below matches the shot in the episode exactly, courtesy my wife's video iPod).

We even found the gas station, Eric's Expert Service, where the con took place. They didn't even change the name of the station in the episode.

We then continued onto Dillingham Airfield, which also played a Nigerian locale. But the real attraction there was the remnants of the original widebody jet used in the pilot.

Then, it was time for some househunting. First to Mililani Mauka and the Castle & Cooke model homes, where Sawyer and Cassidy shacked up. They filmed inside Residence 2, so everything from the dining room to back patio looked familiar.

Then it was into Waikele, for the home that Locke inspected for Nadia.

On the whole, I'd say my "LOST" photo gallery is growing at a good pace.

Comment

PZ, I'm speechless. That is either way, way cool, or the geekiest thing I have heard of in a long time. Or maybe both.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    The family and I had a busy day yesterday checking out a few more "LOST" locations. We started out at Papailoa/Police Beach, where I was happy to discover the "tent city" was still standing. There was also a security guard there who told me not to take pictures, so I stopped. Eventually.
                    Nice pictures PZ...

Comment

A little birdie sent me a couple of links from the latest issue of Newsweek. Two good features on "LOST," though they may be mildly spoilerish.
                      • Island Fever
                        This season, 'Lost' had its share of setbacks and frayed nerves, but it's still the coolest show on TV. NEWSWEEK hits the beach for the wild finale.
                      • Conspiracy Theories
                        The cast members of 'Lost' deconstruct their show.
                      Good reading, as we await the final two episodes...

Comment

Sounds like you had a fun time!! Where exactly is Police Beach anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy
                          Sounds like you had a fun time!! Where exactly is Police Beach anyway?
                          It's a little beyond Haleiwa Beach Park. Apparently you can either start there and head east, or drive a mile or two further on Kamehameha Highway, hit the beach access on Papailoa Drive, then head west. See my "LOST" Filming Locations page for a map.

Unlike their original site at Kualoa, this one's on KSBE property, and thus is more diligently guarded (or so I'm guessing, since I had free reign at Makapu'u but got approached and warned off on Saturday). I'm pretty sure they're not going to be happy if the spot starts to draw crowds. So if you head out there, I'd recommend staying low key and maintaining your distance. (You know, like I failed to do.) Don't want 'em to have to move again!

Comment

FYI, ABC announced its 2006-2007 schedule today, and "LOST" is staying put on Wednesday nights. From what I recall, this next, third season is the last one for which the show is formally signed on with the network. Season 3 better rock everyone's socks off, or they'll have to tie up a whole lot of loose ends real quick!

But the real news about "LOST" is probably this:
                            Reacting to complaints from devoted fans of ``Lost,'' its complex Wednesday drama, the network also announced today that the series will air without repeats next season. ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson said the show will run seven episodes in the fall and then turn over its time slot to the new ``Day Break'' starring Taye Diggs before returning in February to finish out the season.
                            I wonder if fans will really like it better? I'd take reruns over some random other show!

A new show will follow "LOST," called "The Nine." It's about nine random people connected to a single traumatic event, and their subsequent connections are explained via flashbacks. Hmm!
                            Last edited by pzarquon; May 16, 2006, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Watching re-runs of Lost was never an issue with me, in fact there are times when I couldn't watch the original airing, so watching the re-runs were handy. The thing I have issue with is those re-cap shows that they do from time to time.

Comment

From what I recall, this next, third season is the last one for which the show is formally signed on with the network.
                                I think I mentioned earlier that a friend of mine (who is near the top of the food chain on the production crew) just signed a two-year contract renewal with them.
                                Hopefully a good sign!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X