"Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Unlike their original site at Kualoa, this one's on KSBE property, and thus is more diligently guarded (or so I'm guessing, since I had free reign at Makapu'u but got approached and warned off on Saturday).
    I'm wondering about this. My understanding is that all beaches in Hawaii are public. I think the law dictates up to the first growth after the high tide line (or something like that). This is why all resorts have to provide public access to the beaches.

The guard had no legal right to chase you from the beach. By law you probably could stand on the beach and take as many photos as you wanted to.

John

Comment

Originally posted by fisch1
      The guard had no legal right to chase you from the beach. By law you probably could stand on the beach and take as many photos as you wanted to.
      John, you're right that beach access is public, and that I could (and did!) hang out in front of the set as long as I wanted. My wife and kids and I spread out a blanket and played in the sand for a couple of hours literally in the shadow of Sawyer's tent. We hung out and soaked in the sights, identifying different "residences" ("That's Sun & Jin's tent!") and checking out Eko's church and the nearby graveyard. All from the beach, and with no comment from the guards.

Just like the Makapu`u camp set, which is definitely public property, I'm pretty sure I couldn't be stopped from doing that, even if they wanted to.

But I knew I couldn't penetrate into the set (and didn't try), which was definitely beyond the high-tide mark and well marked with "No Trespassing" and "Do Not Enter" signs. This also seemed clear and wasn't a point of contention. It was definitely private property.

The only question was whether I could stand at the edge of that property and take pictures of it. It was a legal debate that I wasn't quite up to getting into, and certainly one I wasn't about to start with a Saturday morning shift security guard. I'd gotten a good number of photos before he said something (we just regarded each other with indifference for some time), anyway. He was relatively polite (and his dog was cute) and he said he'd get in trouble with his boss, which may or may not be true, but sometimes you just want to be nice and humor a guy rather than argue about rights and boundaries.

A relative of mine lives on the beach in East Honolulu, and people traipse past his backyard all day. They can be there by law too. Would it be okay if they started taking pictures of his house? I don't know -- I guess it might be legal. But it'd certainly make him uncomfortable.
      Last edited by pzarquon; May 17, 2006, 05:43 AM.

Comment

I was about to say that tonight's (5/17/06) episode broke the mold in terms of the flashback sequence but it seems to have it's roots in a couple of other epsiodes this season.

I am also wondering what common thing that Jack, Kate, Swayer and Hurley have such that they are needed by the Others.

Well at least we got to see the tents that was shown here in this thread.

Comment

helen: I am also wondering what common thing that Jack, Kate, Swayer and Hurley have such that they are needed by the Others.

Jack = Doctor
          Kate = ?
          Sawyer = Con artist
          Hurley = Millionaire lovable schlub
          What enterprise might need people with those attributes?
          Last edited by admin; May 17, 2006, 10:10 PM. Reason: Fixed spoiler tag (cannot follow quote tag).
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

After last week's episode detailing the next "stage" of the Dharma project, I think the Others are at the final stages. The castaways are their lab rats.
            Last edited by admin; May 17, 2006, 10:11 PM. Reason: Cut quoted spoiler to re-enable spoiler button.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Rather than wrestle with spoiler tags, you can find Kilinahe and my detailed thoughts on tonight's episode, "Three Minutes," here. Not the strongest episode, to be sure, but it's tough being basically the opening act to the big number -- next week's season finale.

It was great to see the Makapu'u set, though. I'm glad I photographed it, because you really couldn't savor the detail in the episode itself.

And all the scenes on the beach? I kept crowing to Kilinahe, "We sat right there! So that was Sayid's tent! Charlie's standing right where our kid... er, nevermind."

Comment

Should mention this week's Hanso commerical sported another web address.

Comment

It has been fun seeing some of the Lost regulars appearing on the talk show circuit- Terry O Quinn on Regis and Kelly and Malcolm David Kelley was on with Jimmy Kimmel last night along with Jorge Garcia and Yunjin Kim in New York goofing with Guillermo who was also there for the Kimmel show. Jorge Garcia will be seen playing poker live from New Orleans on the 31st.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    Not the strongest episode, to be sure, but it's tough being basically the opening act to the big number -- next week's season finale.
                    Perhaps not the strongest, but it still kept the format of present time and flashback... though this time the flashbacks were not very far back, which to me were good, just to know what had previously happened in the not so distant past.

I have to wonder if the next episode will contain similarly recent flashbacks or focus on one or two charcaters with the more tradtional, distant (before crash) flashbacks. Of course I have to wonder where that set I had spotted a few weeks ago will fit in.

On another note, "Lost" had its steepest dip in ratings last night against the next to last week of "American Idol" on fox.

From Reuters :

The hour-long "Idol" averaged 27.1 million viewers and a 10.5 rating/25 share in the coveted adults 18-49 demographic, according to preliminary data released Thursday by Nielsen Media Research....

That no doubt had an impact on ABC's "Lost," which sank to its lowest rating for an original episode all season in advance of next Wednesday's two-hour finale. The show averaged 14.2 million viewers and a 5.9/14 between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. (It lasted until 10:04 p.m., cutting into the series finale of "Invasion.") The rating was down 25% from its season-to-date average of 7.9/19.
                    Has "Lost" reached its peak in popularity? Could this rating dip be the start of a trend?

Given that there will be only 7 new episodes during the fall debut of Season 3, "Lost" stands to lose again with 15 new episodes from February 2007 if "American Idol" can sustain its popularity next year.

Maybe a 3 season run could be a good thing for the show.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I gotta wonder why they don't have the bulk of the new episodes next season in the fall, rather than spring when they will be competing with "Idol."

In one of the flashbacks last night there was a scene with Michael hitting Locke with a rifle butt. I don't remember seeing that the first time around. Anyone know what episode that came from?
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

When it was first aired Jack just found Locke on the floor in the armory. Last night's episode filled in the details that wasn't shown back then.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                          Has "Lost" reached its peak in popularity? Could this rating dip be the start of a trend?

Given that there will be only 7 new episodes during the fall debut of Season 3, "Lost" stands to lose again with 15 new episodes from February 2007 if "American Idol" can sustain its popularity next year.

Maybe a 3 season run could be a good thing for the show.
                          Mel, I would not be surprised if next season were the last for LOST and that would be OK if they actually wrote the series with that in mind, but they won't. Few series write like they know it's the end. It would take LOST ha;f a season just to wrap up all the story lines.

The decision to move LOST to 9:00 p.m. this season was terrible. These networks can never let a good thing stand. That's how CBS has done so well for years keeping that Thursday night lineup intact.

Next week LOST's 2 hour season finale is opposite Idol's 2 house season finale. That's bad news for LOST.

Comment

Mel, I would not be surprised if next season were the last for LOST and that would be OK if they actually wrote the series with that in mind, but they won't. Few series write like they know it's the end. It would take LOST ha;f a season just to wrap up all the story lines.
                            I wouldn't be surprised either. Serialized storylines such as LOST should indeed plan for a limited run life... 3 years, 5 years maybe... beyond that, it's too long.

In the 1990s I was a big fan and viewer of Babylon 5 which was a TV series that was planned out for a 5 year run. Despite several obstacles, the show did manage to play out its planned storyline over a 5 year run. Regular viewers knew about this and expected the series to end when the producers said it would. I think this kind of planning could work for LOST.

The decision to move LOST to 9:00 p.m. this season was terrible. These networks can never let a good thing stand. That's how CBS has done so well for years keeping that Thursday night lineup intact.
                            I agree. I like to settle in on a regular time and day for all TV series I watch. The suits that run the networks think otherwise as they move shows around to try and get more ratings. That is what happened to LOST this year. The same thing will happen to ABC's Grey's Anatomy as the network gambles with it and moves the show from its Sunday night slot to Thursday nights for 2006 - 07. The hope with moves is that a show's fans will move with it and strengthen another night with a good lead in or lead out from a fledgling program. The ultimate goal is to generate more advertising revenue.

Next week LOST's 2 hour season finale is opposite Idol's 2 house season finale. That's bad news for LOST.
                            American Idol is still a ratings juggernaut.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                              Serialized storylines such as LOST should indeed plan for a limited run life... 3 years, 5 years maybe... beyond that, it's too long.

Kinda like how all those Asian TV series are. The couple of Korean soaps I watched were just one season. Hey, even Kikaida was only one season. Well, Abarenbo Shogun went for a quarter of a century, but that's probably the exception, right?

I just don't want LOST to get axed before we get all the damn answers! On the other hand, I don't want it to last 25 years either. I have stuff to do.

Comment

I HATED incessant reruns this season, I wish it would run like 24 does on FOX but this is the closest thing I guess.

Anyone read the Entertainment Weekly articles, which contained some hinted spoilers as interviewed by the LOST producers? Great cover of the cast which you have to flip thru 3 pages I think to see everyone, its a collectors edition.

A few things of note I caught, it said LOST has dropped 200,000 viewers this season. I suspect in part some of it has to do with too many reruns this season. I've brought this up many times on other forums, but when castmembers, fans and even the producers complain about it then there is something to it after all. The producers mentioned that the incessant reruns did hurt ratings and tested fans patience because they would prefer that the show run similiar to '24', because Lost is a serialized tv show in which you have to catch it and keep up with it on a week to week basis. When you air it with many weeks of hiatus and reruns then it breaks the continuity of the series.

ABC itself, like Naveen Andrews mentioned to me when I spoke with him, wanted to bring in more viewers by rerunning the show but it seems with the drop in viewers and ratings it did just the oppossite. The head of ABC would have preferred to keep the show the way it ran this season with lots of reruns but I think the fans complaints and producers requests that the show be divided into two blocks made them change their minds.

I, too think the series will run 3 to 5 years at best I just cannot image the series running any longer than that.

KalihiBoy
                                Last edited by Kalihiboy; May 20, 2006, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X