This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters - Book 2

He was talking about Guy Hagi. So what's the deal irol? Yeah, Joe is boring, yeah, KITV's got a golden couple, but what station did you see Lyle on tonight?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
      If this is the way you post about friends of your family, I'm really interested to see how you will post about enemies of your family.
      It's easy to post about family that way when you're doing so under the veil of anonymity.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Yeah, I knew I would be stepping in trouble by voicing my opinions. I know they're only human beings with good and bad traits. However, when they act like they're from royalty and come off as I'm-in-media-so-I'm better-than-the-rest, that's when I think it's time to give these people a wake-up call telling them that they're not all that (tho' maybe inside their heads). You really have to be thick skinned to be in the media.

My reference to "acting local" is just to say that being humble goes a long way than acting like you're all that...common courtesy and respect for each other.

Btw, I think Keahi Tucker is doing a fine job. He's a favorite.

Thank for your comments. Hope I didn't offend anyone. I'll go back to my CNN news. Next topic.....

Comment

Originally posted by irol View Post
          Is it just me or are you guys tired of Hawaii's news weather segment?? I just want to know the 5-day forecase, rain/sun/storm/flash flood or hurricane. Enough of the "I got to earn my salary mumble-jumble and show off our media technology" already. It's like they spend more time on weather than indepth reporting. Since it's a big turn off, a lot of us viewers are not watching any local news. We read it online or watch CNN. Local news is just a marketing venue these days. Mahalo to their Mainland owners.
          I can't speak for everyone, but as a weather buff, I like the weather segments. And I'm fascinated by all the technical toys they use and what they can do with them. Are the weather segments overkill for our local climate? Sure. But I still enjoy them.

As for your other comments, you say you've actually met these folks, and presumably you're basing your opinions on your personal experiences with them. However, this begs a number of questions. When and where did you meet them? Under what circumstances? How much time did you get to spend observing their behavior? Are we talking a couple of minutes at a personal appearance or do you travel in the same social circles affording a long-term observation? If it was a brief, one-time encounter, could it be that the person was tired or having a bad day? Might you have been the 3,743rd fan to come up to them to talk story at the event? Even the most saintly public figure can get weary at crowded public events. Your opinions may be quite valid, or they could be unfairly based on very limited information. Only you know for sure. We have no way of knowing.

Even though she's a family friend, I'm hearing the same concerns for Sharie too.
          This comment begs a challenge. You're "hearing"? From whom? If she's a family friend, you should be in an excellent position to form an opinion based entirely on your own experience. Why do you need to listen to what anyone else says?

And Guy, enough trying too hard to be a local-guy already.
          What's the basis for this comment? Did he "try too hard to be a local-guy" at some public event somewhere? If you're basing this judgment solely on his performance during his newscasts, I'll have to disagree with you. I watch KGMB more than all the other newcasts combined. Guy has always come across as genuine, warm, friendly and knowledgeable in his field. I've never perceived him as "trying to be" anything. He IS a local guy, so no need try!

As for your observation that local people don't like people with "attitude" you're quite right. But it's not just locals who feel that way. Even a dumb haole from Washington, DC like me gets irritated with people's attitudes. I hope you realize that you "vented" with just as much "attitude" as the people you were complaining about. People who live in glass huts shouldn't throw lava rocks, or something like that.

Ok, enough of my ranting. My attitude and I will go back to lurking now.

P.S. I'm a CNN junkie too, but I still like the local news!
          No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
            ...I'm sure Lyle would be tickled to know that someone still has high regard for his broadcast career, which ended a year ago or so when he became a Realtor.
            Do you know something the rest of us don’t, lavagal? Yes, he is a realtor right now, but considering how many times he has gone back and forth between television anchor/reporter and working as a state spokesman, I wouldn’t be surprised if Lyle re-appears on t.v. somewhere. And he wouldn’t be the first (Linda Coble, Beth Hillyer, Norman Lee, etc.).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              Do you know something the rest of us don’t, lavagal?
              Nope, she knows something the rest of us do.

Realtors that sell luxury property make more money than broadcast journalists.

Comment

Joe Bore: Get off your high horse and be more humble. Mr. Aiea grad, who was just a sports anchor before he made it, you're high makamaka attitude is turning us off. A lot of us don't watch you because of your attitude and boring comments. Bob Sevey you-are-not.

Hubby&Wifey on KITV: My gawd you have us all fooled. You both seem to be "people-persons" but in actuality, you're both snobs. Auwe!!! Academy awards here.

Even though she's a family friend, I'm hearing the same concerns for Sharie too. We still have hope for you so pls don't turn into the above...please......

Haven't met the others but I hope these news people realize that we're still a small island and word gets around that local people DO NOT like others who have ATTITUDE. Heck, you're ONLY in Hawaii so don't act like you're in New York or some other large city. Mahalo for allowing me to vent.
                First, what is this pronoun "us" you're using? Whom are you speaking for? Certainly not for me. Please define your terms.

And what is "local style," then? Is that telling everyone else how to act? Maybe your TV personalities should spend less time trying to figure out how to get some uptight mucky-muck's approval, and instead just do their job the way *they* have learned to do it, the way that works best for them and their audience, and not worry about some nobody thinking they're snobs because they weren't in the mood to look at his baby pictures in line at Longs on Saturday.

I've see a lot of these folks outside of their jobs, as have many others in this small island state we live in. They're not movie stars; they're local journalists (sometimes), newscasters or TV personalities. For the most part, they do a fine job.

Seems to me you've got some kind of jealousy or inferiority going on. When I saw the KITV 4 couple on vacation in Washington recently (we were on the same flight coming and going; they didn't know who I was, and I was kind enough not to barge in on them during their off time), they were treating everyrone around them with respect, courtesy and friendliness (that's what it's called where I grew up -- we don't make a big huge deal out of it, it's just the way people are).

Gary and Pamela were so cute and funny, making everyone around them laugh, just being themselves. They looked like a really happy to be together couple on their honeymoon. But you, Irol, felt like you had to smear them here, call them "snobs" and make other disparaging, vague comments with nothing to back them up. Well, what EXACTLY did they say or do that compelled you to cast such judgement, O Keeper Of Everything Local? Instead of throwing out vague nasty rumors, tell us what Gary and Pamela supposedly did that made them such terrible snobs. Really, I'd like to know.

Also, who are you, and what do you do for a living?

Comment

Haven't met the others but I hope these news people realize that we're still a small island and word gets around that local people DO NOT like others who have ATTITUDE. Heck, you're ONLY in Hawaii so don't act like you're in New York or some other large city. Mahalo for allowing me to vent.
                  Oh, now I get it.

Don't reach for the stars. Don't try to be better at what you can do -- someone else's feelings of inferiority might get hurt. They don't want to be brought up or shown a different way; easier to play in the mud striking rock with flint.

So what you're saying is, most people are lazy and stupid and can't accomplish as much as these others you point out, so rather than bringing them up higher by example, if you want to achieve more you should instead dumb yourself down to their level. If you don't accomplish too much, they won't feel inferior. That is your responsibility, not theirs. Aaah, it's all coming clear now.

That mainland attitude -- work ethic, accomplishment, family strength, friendliness to strangers, courtesy, financial success -- these are not welcome in Hawaii. You're hurting our self-esteem. Dumb it down so nobody feels left out. Otherwise you're too tarantaran.

Sure, nothing will be accomplished. But that's not as important as making everyone at the lower levels feel better about themselves by tearing you down. Take it all down to the lowest, dumbest common denominator. Local style. I learn again.

Comment

Wow.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Hubby&Wifey on KITV: My gawd you have us all fooled. You both seem to be "people-persons" but in actuality, you're both snobs. Auwe!!!
                      I've known Gary and Pamela for about 10 years and have spent quite a bit of time with them, which qualifies me to say that your "snob" comment is 100% bullshit.
                      Therefore, I cannot believe anything else you wrote, either.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        I've known Gary and Pamela for about 10 years and have spent quite a bit of time with them, which qualifies me to say that your "snob" comment is 100% bullshit.
                        Therefore, I cannot believe anything else you wrote, either.
                        Yeeehaa! You go LikaNui!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Gary and Pam are the worst people in the world. They prey on the unsuspecting and feast on the flesh of the innocent.

Oh, wait, the Gary and Pam from KITV? Sorry, mixup. Not that Gary and Pam. They so nice.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

By the way, anybody know what happened to Cedric Moon at KGMB? I've noticed he's not on their website anymore. Is he still on air there? What up Erika?

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                              By the way, anybody know what happened to Cedric Moon at KGMB? I've noticed he's not on their website anymore. Is he still on air there?
                              I saw him doing a story on Sunday. If he's no longer there, it's recent.

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                                By the way, anybody know what happened to Cedric Moon at KGMB? I've noticed he's not on their website anymore. Is he still on air there? What up Erika?
                                His stories that he does may end up on the website, but still, is not listed on the "News Team" page where you find out all about the anchors and reporters. I haven't seem him on that page before. Plus, I don't see Terry Hunter, Julia-Norton Dennis, or Norman Lee, even though they're still working at KGMB.

Comment

Working...
                                X