X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters - Book 2

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
    My buddy says tv news in Hawaii isn't what it used to be. I guess it is all about the almighty buck-- profits profits profits You want public service? Watch PBS or Olelo.
    I’m glad you’re still fresh enough on this revelation to be mad about it. I take a far more cynical look at the situation: the masses already ignore anything outside of sports, soap operas, cartoons, MTV and HBO.

Don’t give up!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

News = if it bleeds it leads

OR

if it makes a buck, so be it

"Pardon me Miss, I know you just lost your son in a head-on collision and his body is still trapped in the burning wreckage. But would you mind telling us how it feels?"

*hopes lady will say yes and cry on camera for all to see*

Like I said, if you want "public service" --

Comment

Gah! I don't remember the name of the sports guy on KGMB at 5:00pm this evening, but he said this about Reggie Bush (former USC football star who had 4 TDs today for New Orleans):

"Most talked about college football player ever!"

Um. Lessee, Red Grange in the 30s, Davis and Blanchard in the 40s, maybe Jim Brown in the 50s, OJ Simpson, Anthony Davis and a whole slew of USC tailbacks in the 60s, and on and on and on, including every Heisman trophy winner in the past 35 years.

No, young man, not the "Most talked about college football player ever!"

Either I'm really old or he's really young.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
          Gah! I don't remember the name of the sports guy on KGMB at 5:00pm this evening, but he said this about Reggie Bush (former USC football star who had 4 TDs today for New Orleans):

"Most talked about college football player ever!"

Um. Lessee, Red Grange in the 30s, Davis and Blanchard in the 40s, maybe Jim Brown in the 50s, OJ Simpson, Anthony Davis and a whole slew of USC tailbacks in the 60s, and on and on and on, including every Heisman trophy winner in the past 35 years.

No, young man, not the "Most talked about college football player ever!"

Either I'm really old or he's really young.
          It was Steve Uyehara. He turned 30 this year in September. Damien '94.

[I was going to add more comments here, but I realized it would have been irrelevant to this thread so I'll leave it at that]
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
            It was Steve Uyehara. He turned 30 this year in September. Damien '94.

[I was going to add more comments here, but I realized it would have been irrelevant to this thread so I'll leave it at that]
            Man, you'd think by age 30 he'd have learned not to make blanket statements without hedging.

If he'd said "One of the most..." I'd have had no gripe.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I just learned that tonight was Joann Shin's last night reporting on KHNL News 8. Stephanie Lum announced it just right after her report with on the K5 News at Nine. Just want to wish her luck wherever she goes next.

Comment

Congratulations, Joann. I’ll leave it at that, ’cause I’m sure someone will let the cat out of the bag.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

The Midweek announced Joann Shin's departure about 10 days ago in one of Yu Shing Ting's columns.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Where is Joann going?
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                      Where is Joann going?
                      Welllll, She was going to work for Rod Haraga, State DOT Chief, but then Rod got fired, er, um, asked to clean out his office, er, um, decided to move on, er, uh, um, was given a career change. So is she inbetween jobs? Anyone know yet?
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

KITV's Shawn Ching is stepping away from the anchor desk for several weeks to spend time with his mom who has cancer. Details here. (scroll down to bottom of column)
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          KITV's Shawn Ching is stepping away from the anchor desk for several weeks to spend time with his mom who has cancer. Details here. (scroll down to bottom of column)
                          Will anyone fill in for Shawn while he's gone?

Comment

Nope, no one is stepping in for Shawn...
                            I hear he's not gonna come back and that this is just a soft exit.
                            Too bad... I hope his mom is ok.

Comment

• Joanne Shinn

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                              The Midweek announced Joann Shin's departure about 10 days ago in one of Yu Shing Ting's columns.

KalihiBoy
                              I have not seen Joanne on air for this week but maybe I missed her because my tv habits are not routine depending on if I'm busy and if I'm out of state working on a long job.

But, I will miss seeing her because I thought she was one of the better reporters, and definitely one of the prettiest. (Or maybe I'm just biased because I thought she was so cute.)

Comment

Originally posted by MaukaLover View Post
                                Nope, no one is stepping in for Shawn... I hear he's not gonna come back and that this is just a soft exit.
                                Well, he did get his law degree, so perhaps he's headed that direction. I wish him the best and hope his mom is okay too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X