This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters - Book 2

I just saw Keahi Tucker on Channel 9's 5PM news this evening.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by gavani
      Hmmmnnn...that explains the "my hair is messed up cause I'm "busy" look." LOL
      boyfriend out of town? Don't this girl want some local flavor? LOL
      Dude, that's inappropriate, considering she's married...to the Affordable Caskets guy.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
        Dude, that's inappropriate, considering she's married...to the Affordable Caskets guy.

He was talkin 'bout Sharrie!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

speaking of diane, what's with her coverage in the philipines? i saw a little bit of it this weekend and saw video that could have been taken off of CNN or some other media, and heard her do a live PHONE Interview...not the best use of your station's money.

Comment

Originally posted by sin
            speaking of diane, what's with her coverage in the philipines? i saw a little bit of it this weekend and saw video that could have been taken off of CNN or some other media, and heard her do a live PHONE Interview...not the best use of your station's money.
            Maybe when she's finally back here in Hawaii she'll give her full report.

Comment

This past Sunday's Honolulu Advertiser had an "Island Life" feature story on Hawaii's four television news stations.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...603190318.html

Comment

I know KGMB did a station retrospective a few years ago hosted by Bob Sevey.

Do any of the other stations warrant a retrospective like KGMB, I know growing up in Chicago all the stations had several retrospectives over the years where they interviewed old newscasters like Bill Kurtis for WBBM who is now very well known, showed old clips of newscasts and local programming, etc.

KGMB is known for Sevey, Checkers & Pogo, wrestling, etc. but what are the other stations known for?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by sin
                  Speaking of mr. tucker, where the heck has he been? I haven't seen his pic in the promotions on KGMB anymore and he's not on the anchor desk. and usually if you take vacation or something your co-anchor will say something like "Keahi Tucker has the night off".
                  I think the rule is you only say that if he really does have the night off. Keahi is a hybrid anchor - something that all stations do on very limited basis.

Take the KITV morning show on Wednesday. Mahealani Richardson normally anchors, but they needed her to report since there was a landslide on Roundtop Drive.

The difference is, Keahi seems to be doing it backwards. He anchors the 6pm newscast with Kim, then turns around and reports at 10pm. If you don’t watch more than one newscast a day, you probably wouldn’t notice all the shuffling these stations do.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                    I think the rule is you only say that if he really does have the night off. Keahi is a hybrid anchor - something that all stations do on very limited basis.

Take the KITV morning show on Wednesday. Mahealani Richardson normally anchors, but they needed her to report since there was a landslide on Roundtop Drive.

The difference is, Keahi seems to be doing it backwards. He anchors the 6pm newscast with Kim, then turns around and reports at 10pm. If you don’t watch more than one newscast a day, you probably wouldn’t notice all the shuffling these stations do.
                    actually i usually tend to flip around while watching the news between kitv and kgmb - khon's joe moore speaks too slow and the reporting i feel has gone downhill while khnl is too painful to watch. even so the keahi thing is weird, is he an anchor or isn't he? kitv doesn't have a morning reporter like khon has with manolo so when breaking news happens one of the anchors has to go out, which i applaud. get off those seats and cover those beats i say.

hybrid anchor huh? interesting...for an instant the phrase drew to mind an image of a newsman writing a column for the paper, then getting ready to anchor the evening news, and then finally putting everything online for their news website.

Comment

so er...what's your job title at KGMB anyway?

Comment

Sick anchors

I saw Diane Ako on air last weekend and she was clearly sick with a head cold. Sniffles, congested sounding, tired looking, voice all screwed up. A friend at the station told me newscasters don't call in sick during ratings periods because they can't. I think that's pretty lame. Is this a widespread rule or is it just confined to this one station, or this one state?

Comment

Re: Sick anchors

Originally posted by Brad
                          I saw Diane Ako on air last weekend and she was clearly sick with a head cold. Sniffles, congested sounding, tired looking, voice all screwed up.
                          Oh! So is that what TalkStink was referring to?

Comment

As of late KGMB is where I have been watching. Good anchors, great set, good lighting, superb graphics, and fast paced.

I do surf between them all.

KHON is o.k. but that "look away/glance" Joe Moore does between stories is a MOORE than a little annoying LOL! plus I may fall asleep watching it to long as that *Moore-o-tone* speak sounds like a bad Howard Cosell(sp?)

I think the worst by far is KHNL, the wide screen "set" they cut to looks way 1985, you know with the silly stripes. Not to mention the fact of weather caster/anchor (what's up with that?)

The most annoying is the "rehash" of scripts that some of stations do...as in lazy producers/anchors that copy national stories for verbatim. It shows me what they think of their viewers.

*end rant* LOL
                            Last edited by idvfilms; May 3, 2006, 05:20 PM.

Comment

So no comment for KITV4, idvfilms? They do have the most expensive set after all.

I think the most glaring difference about them is they seem to be willing to start their newscast with a tape. No reporter in the studio or live on location. It makes their show seem canned and amateur.

It’s a good thing they have solid reporters like Keoki Kerr and Catherine Cruz or they’d be in trouble.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

So no comment for KITV4, idvfilms? They do have the most expensive set after all.

I think the most glaring difference about them is they seem to be willing to start their newscast with a tape. No reporter in the studio or live on location. It makes their show seem canned and amateur.

It’s a good thing they have solid reporters like Keoki Kerr and Catherine Cruz or they’d be in trouble.
                                KITV? what's that?

Comment

Working...
                                X