X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters - Book 3

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    FOOLS! I wish you guys the best, and that Julia ends up in a place where her talent and skills are valued. I'm 100-percent freelance myself these days, and I'm hoping I can keep getting the work to help keep my family afloat! I've applied everywhere, but I if I can write and edit from home, that would be most ideal for our situation.
    I'll be looking for Julia, and listening for her, too!
    Lavagal, thanks for the kind words. Julia's still keeping very busy with KSSK, and looking for ways to fill the void caused by her departure from KGMB -- with Julia, it was never just a job, but part of who she is. I'm sure she'll be fine, but I'm encouraging her to turn to one of the other stations who may appreciate the value she brings to the table.

We'll keep you posted.

Comment

I am very sorry to hear about Julia being let go. It is a cruel and sometimes heartless world we live in.

People of value are not treasured as they should be, but are taken for granted.

Julia is one of the few, real people and I know she will land on her feet.

Good things happen to good people.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
        I am very sorry to hear about Julia being let go. It is a cruel and sometimes heartless world we live in.

People of value are not treasured as they should be, but are taken for granted.

Julia is one of the few, real people and I know she will land on her feet.

Good things happen to good people.
        Foolish Heart, thank you for the kind words -- I'll make sure Julia sees them.

Comment

Hey I think PBN is still looking for a morning broadcast person!

Comment

Originally posted by Maduro View Post
            Hey I think PBN is still looking for a morning broadcast person!
            Maduro, thanks for the thought, but she's at KSSK from the wee hours of the morning until after noon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Dr. View Post
              Julia has indeed left KGMB, but not of her own accord. She was laid off after 12 years of dedicated service, due to "budget constraints." I know this because I'm lucky enough to be married to her. I'm hoping someone else in Hawaii media will recognize her value -- Lord knows I do.
              Would that explain why they only did a tribute video montage of her on the weekend news and not invited to the anchor desk for a formal farewell?
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                Would that explain why they only did a tribute video montage of her on the weekend news and not invited to the anchor desk for a formal farewell?
                Probably so, and to make matters worse, we didn't know they were going to do that -- so we didn't even get to see it, much less get a copy.

Comment

Probably so, and to make matters worse, we didn't know they were going to do that -- so we didn't even get to see it, much less get a copy.
                  I'd heard something strange about part-timers at KGMB, that blangiardi had to get rid of all of them but was hoping to rehire them at a later date for some reason. Does this follow anything that Julia was told Spin?

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                    I'd heard something strange about part-timers at KGMB, that blangiardi had to get rid of all of them but was hoping to rehire them at a later date for some reason. Does this follow anything that Julia was told Spin?
                    I don't know about having to get rid of all the part-timers; I understand that five total were let go -- and they have or will soon hire three more full-timers. Way to cut that budget!

Blangiardi did tell Julia that "if" they could get back under budget in the first or second quarter, "he'd see what he could do about bringing them back." My thinking is why on earth would she want to go back, so the next time Blangirdi and company go over budget she can get laid off again?

I realize I'm more than a little bitter about this, but Julia gave KGMB 12 years, coming in after her very early morning shifts at KSSK (she's at work before 3:30 every weekday morning), working weekends and holidays, and doing almost every thing ever asked of her -- and she was the only one in the newsroom let go.

Comment

Folks, I need to clarify something. Julia wasn't recognized on her last day because there was just way too much going on news-wise -- that was the day we found out that June Jones was leaving UH for SMU, and everyone was scrambling to try and get June for comment before he got on the plane to Dallas. I know everyone who works the weekends at KGMB and of their obvious and open affection for Julia, so we know there was never any intent to slight her. That we didn't know about the video tribute was an accident. We're touched that the folks she worked with did that for her - again, an obvious testament to the fact that her coworkers there care a great deal for her. I'm sorry if my earlier post gave the impression that we felt slighted by the newsroom staff who did that for her -- nothing could be further from the truth. It's an unfortunate reality of message boards (and e-mails) is that sometimes intent gets muddled or misunderstood; and upon further reflection, my earlier post does seem to make me sound ticked off at the newsroom staff, when that's not the case.

As far as not inviting her to the anchor desk for a formal farewell, quite frankly, Julia wouldn't have wanted that anyway. She didn't care ever about being on camera -- for her, it was all about the craft of telling the stories.

Thanks for letting me vent.
                      Last edited by Spin Dr.; January 17, 2008, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I'm sure somebody somewhere covered this already but isn't it odd to see Ron Mizutani on TV in his role as Vice President of Corporate Communications for Hawaiian Telcom?

I saw him last night on one of the news broadcasts talking about why Hawaiian Telcom had to lay off 50 managers.

I guess I'm just used to seeing him in the anchor chair or as the reporter asking the questions.
                        Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

hi this is sansei and i wondered since when sharie shima was doing her weather,she seem's to have taken off and no one would know when she return's and i wondered if anyone may know when she may return is i thought she was supposed to be on the new 6:30 Pm news at Kfve only i see paul or Stephanie doing the weather is i do miss watching her and stephanie,if anyone may have some thought's on where sharie maybe,please post.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Isn't Sharie on vacation?

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                              I'm sure somebody somewhere covered this already but isn't it odd to see Ron Mizutani on TV in his role as Vice President of Corporate Communications for Hawaiian Telcom?
                              I thought he would have left Oahu for Kauai.

Sighs. I would have envied him.

Comment

I always thought Ron would be the next Joe Moore. Either someone on the corporate side didn't share that belief or Ron thought he couldn't wait that long for Joe to retire I guess. Wonder how much kala the guy's making now. . .

Comment

Working...
                                X