X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Night Time" with Andy Bumatai

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
    Have you ever seen me interviewed? Trust me, those beds will come in handy. ZZzzzzzz.
    Hey Paul, do you plan to perform a stand-up routine on the show too? I think that would be cool, in addition to an interview.

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
    Wednesday, August 15. Show starts at 7pm. Of course, if I'm wrong, then we'll just head over to Side Street for fried rice and pork chops.
    You sure? 'K den! Your treat.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'm terrible at ID'ing voices. Who's the announcer on the show?

Comment

Don Tiki debuts as Andy Bumatai's house band on KFVE
        Comedian Andy Bumatai's new week-night talk show, "NightTime with Andy Bumatai" has just tapped Don Tiki to be its house band. The neo-exotica combo makes its debut tonight at 9:35 p.m. on KFVE, immediately following the K5 News at Nine.
        And, FWIW, I'm certain this show will hit its stride and be fantastic sooner rather than later. Andy's a whiz live, in front of an audience... the challenge (as Betamax articulated) is bringing that seamlessly into a studio environment. Ideally Andy should just go go go, and the crew and cameras simply keep up. No "Cut!" Unless someone catches fire. A joke is only really funny the first time.

Comment

I did try to watch last night's episode, however the show is still in its "growing" stages. I ended up turning it after the Bart Simpson drawing lesson, which was why I tuned in, in the first place. I'll still be supportive, and encourage viewers, but with technology today, perhaps the quality of the show (not Andy or his guests) could improve at a faster pace?
          ___
          "Be god to each other."

Comment

Oooooh...I loooooove this!

Comment

Honestly, can't wait for Andy Bumatai to follow Jimmy Kimmel and do the show on TheBus.

But if he booked older guests like "The General" Les Keiter, then better use the Handi-Van.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Betamax View Post
                Andy was camera searching sometimes.. Carson always had a reaction "mug-shot" camera he could go to.. but the director has to stay on top of it.
                How do the big boys do it? In this day and age, I'd think all the cameras would be recorded and the editing done after the show or at least cleaned up in post production. That way Carson could mug to any camera and it would be caught.

Comment

Saw this for the first time by accident last night. I sometimes watch the KFVE News at 9 and after that this show came on. What I found strange about last night's show is that they went a few minutes past 10 to a point that I missed the first few minutes of the KGMB News.... hmmm....

The show doesn't have a "Tonight Show" feel to me.... more local than anything offered from the mainland. At this point I doubt it could be sold into mainland syndication.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Last night's show had some things.

1) The two guests seem to have a theme. Take a typical occuption and then do something else with your life. The first guy was an accountant who then became a gem hunter. The second person was a police officer who retired and became a magican.

2) George Segal coming in the middle of Andy's openning monologue.

3) This may sound kind of negative against Andy (and it is) but during the gem hunter's (and I forgot his name) segment which included a display of gems that he had collected Andy kept interrupting with his jokes as opposed to asking kind of serious follow up questions or just letting it slide. To the gem hunter's credit he was a good sport about Andy's clowning around.

4) A 3 piece band, with a spot for the guest to come through.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      How do the big boys do it? In this day and age, I'd think all the cameras would be recorded and the editing done after the show or at least cleaned up in post production. That way Carson could mug to any camera and it would be caught.
                      That's not hard to do and there are some people who do multicamera productions that way. With cameras all recording to tape, a director will call out shots and actually switch cameras while recording to a master tape. Later an editor makes an edited version from the camera tapes, using the master tape as a guide.

It's more cumbersome that way but you're less likely to miss something. And you get the coordinated coverage as you would with something that's switched live-to-tape.

Comment

Could it be that there is no floor director, the guy who points the talent to which camera is on? Looked to me like Andy was always searching to where he needed to look at.

Show does have a lot of potential though, but I for one am distracted by the constant stream of passing headlights in the background.

Comment

There are a few things about the show that bother me, but so far, I'm liking the show. It's interesting that, like many here, my wife and I also enjoyed the Longs bit very much. I wonder what was so appealing about that segment. When I think back on it, I don't really know why I liked it so much, so I'm a little surprised to find it stands out for others as well.

I don't know what it is -- the lighting, the quality of the cameras, the small studio audience or one of the other things pointed out here -- but there's something about the show that makes it feel very amateur. It bothers me because I would really like to see this show take off. I see a huge amount of potential.

How about a huge Hawaiian mahu covering events on-location like Ross the Intern does for Leno? Maybe get some of the popular female newscasters from their sister station (KHNL) as guests, flirt heavily with them, and ask them all sorts of racy titillating questions? (This is late night TV after all.) Interview people stuck in traffic on Ft. Weaver. Rebroadcast some K5 or KHNL news stories and add humorous commentary. Get that one Braddah to do a recurring bit as Linda Lingle. The list is endless.

I hope someone involved in the production of the show reads this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            Honestly, can't wait for Andy Bumatai to follow Jimmy Kimmel and do the show on TheBus.
                            Well, he better have some protection bumbai someone will try to snatch their vidoe camera.
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Stage lighting has always bothered me with local productions. It's as if they don't light it up enough.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                                [...]I don't know what it is -- the lighting, the quality of the cameras, the small studio audience or one of the other things pointed out here -- but there's something about the show that makes it feel very amateur.[...]
                                It's a work in progress. A new show has so many kinks to work out. The key is to work them out before the show gets cancelled. I'd love to hear reactions from a much larger audience. Andy needs that as do the guests. Tonight's show convinced me of that. It was fun, tho', to see friend, Rocky Holmes, on flute with Don Tiki.

Comment

Working...
                                X