Aloha - moving to the Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha - moving to the Islands

Nice - you do engineering, must have good ears. Do you work for a radio station? I've never tried to play ukulele. Tried slack guitar a few times. I haven't gotten to Hawaii yet either, still braving the cold north east weather. Might be going out to Portland soon though.

Comment

I just check your profile - Ok, I know who you are, I read some of your other posts and saw some of your pics with the super Uke / bass. Good luck and have fun playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Moving to Makaha View Post
        Let me see... I'm a singer songwriter I play guitar, piano, keys, drums, trumpet... I guess it be called pop/rock type of stuff I write and play for myself. I usually try to stay away from the whole labeling of music though. I like to let the song dictate the direction, style, and instruments for the music. I have a degree in Music, jazz and classical performance and I've been a back up singer for Kenny Rogers, lived in Nashville, and toured with some classical vocal groups. My biggest influences would be Bob Dylan and the Beatles / John Lennon. What about you Leo? And Tiki, you must play as well. We should get together and let Tutu do our publicity.
        If you follow the cuefactory and tikiyaki orchestra links at the bottom of my posts, that will lead to to some of what i do. I've done my share of stuff in the music business(Google "Fuzzbubble") Right now I'm really most concerned with getting commercial work.

My main instrument is guitar, tho I dabble in lots of other stuff, and do mastering, producing, engineering etc...You have to wear many hats these days to make a living doing music.

back on thread (for a second here anyway:-)
        Makaha is a cool place. I stayed there for 10 days, and looked at Condos at the Surfside. Couldn't tell you more than tutusue already has, but the Oceanfront units were truly that...the Ocean out of your living room window. I know the breakwater construction is going on, so it's not the prettiest waterfront view on the island, but that's not to say it's ugly. It's just not the super manicured resort waterfront property in postcards. Still nice tho'

I think my biggest issue with Makaha was the traffic getting to and from town and other parts of the island. I went to the local food stores and got no stink eye from anyone. It was pretty mellow. No Starbux, Chili's, Zippy's or "hip" restaurants up there..mostly fast food as I remember. It IS beautiful up there tho', just a little remote.

You can find some decent in the 300's in Kailua which is an area I love. Just stayed 2 weeks ago. Have you looked into Kailua yet ?
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Thanks for the info on Makaha, thats what I wanted to hear - and I was amazed by tutu's answers. Nice of her to take all that time. I've looked into other areas but I really don't want to have a mortgage.
          Now back to the important stuff.
          So are you in fuzzbubble? It said they signed with Sean Combs. If you did and are, Hells yeah kid - good job. I'll look into the tikiyaki orchestra. And "making a living doing music" - Huh, That's why I've been selling real estate. lol
          Good luck with the commercial projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Moving to Makaha View Post
            Thanks for the info on Makaha, thats what I wanted to hear - and I was amazed by tutu's answers. Nice of her to take all that time. I've looked into other areas but I really don't want to have a mortgage.
            Now back to the important stuff.
            So are you in fuzzbubble? It said they signed with Sean Combs. If you did and are, Hells yeah kid - good job. I'll look into the tikiyaki orchestra. And "making a living doing music" - Huh, That's why I've been selling real estate. lol
            Good luck with the commercial projects.
            Oh, the P Diddy / Bad Boy thing has been over for a long time...it was a horrible experience peppered with some really great things. Probably one of the most bizarre music bizness experiences ever.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
              [...] back on thread (for a second here anyway:-)
              Makaha is a cool place. I stayed there for 10 days, and looked at Condos at the Surfside. Couldn't tell you more than tutusue already has, but the Oceanfront units were truly that...the Ocean out of your living room window. I know the breakwater construction is going on, so it's not the prettiest waterfront view on the island, but that's not to say it's ugly. It's just not the super manicured resort waterfront property in postcards. Still nice tho'
              Actually, it kind of is! If you check out the lagoons at Ko`olina you'll see that each lagoon has a breakwater! And, now, so does Makaha Surfside!
              I think my biggest issue with Makaha was the traffic getting to and from town and other parts of the island.
              One definitely doesn't want to HAVE to commute to town and back in rush hour traffic.
              I went to the local food stores and got no stink eye from anyone.
              Tamura's market has got to be one of the most competitively priced grocery stores on the island. And, very friendly.
              It was pretty mellow. No Starbux, Chili's, Zippy's or "hip" restaurants up there..mostly fast food as I remember.
              Yep. Fast food is everywhere. However, due to the economic demographics, it's understandable. Chili's and Starbucks are down the road in Kapolei.
              It IS beautiful up there tho', just a little remote.
              Very rural...with beautiful beaches and a little less than an hour from town.

Here is a photo of the breakwater from my living room...the day that new Pella wall was installed!
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice view sue !

Definitely nicer than any of the units I saw there..., and I guess what i was referring to was the last time I was there, there were orange construction fences everywhere....obviously that has changed. I think that comlex is a gem.
                Like I said, people at the markets were nice, and yes, much cheaper than the rest of the islands.

Maybe I should buy one ?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Actually, it kind of is! If you check out the lagoons at Ko`olina you'll see that each lagoon has a breakwater! And, now, so does Makaha Surfside!

One definitely doesn't want to HAVE to commute to town and back in rush hour traffic.

Tamura's market has got to be one of the most competitively priced grocery stores on the island. And, very friendly.

Yep. Fast food is everywhere. However, due to the economic demographics, it's understandable. Chili's and Starbucks are down the road in Kapolei.

Very rural...with beautiful beaches and a little less than an hour from town.

Here is a photo of the breakwater from my living room...the day that new Pella wall was installed!

Comment

Nice view sue !

Definitely nicer than any of the units I saw there..., and I guess what i was referring to was the last time I was there, there were orange construction fences everywhere....obviously that has changed.
                  Were you there during the actual construction of the breakwater (fascinating, btw!) or during the subsequent sand bag installation? Floors 2 and 3 in the A3 building (where I live) have the best view. That building is closest to the water. All the other buildings have more land fronting the makai side of the property.

When seated in the living room of a 4th floor unit, the view is mostly sky. Views from the ground floor units are mostly obstructed by the flora covered fence.
                  I think that comlex is a gem.
                  Like I said, people at the markets were nice, and yes, much cheaper than the rest of the islands.

Maybe I should buy one ?
                  MS will be a good buy again, I'm sure! I agree...it's a gem!

Comment

Yea, I think the 2nd floor ones had the best view as I remember.
                    Sue, please post photos of your "little grass shack" remodel when it's done.
                    martin Denny would be proud I'm sure.

Comment

[...]Sue, please post photos of your "little grass shack" remodel when it's done.
                      martin Denny would be proud I'm sure.
                      I'm beginning to think that digital camera technology will be replaced by something as yet uninvented by the time my little grass shack is finished! I NEED NATE BERKUS!!!!!!!!! I already have a playlist in iTunes for 'exotica' type music that will be used as background music for the condo! The music of Martin Denny and Don Tiki is at the forefront.

Comment

Working...
                      X