This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Iraq War - Chapter 2

I was just checking out Riverbend's blog to see what her reaction is to the Iraqi elections which will start on Sunday (http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/). In her lastest post, she is complaining that they have had no running water in Baghdad for 6 days.

She also pointed me to another blog by Imad Khadduri, who is an Iraqi nuclear scientist who wrote the book, "Iraq's Nuclear Image" (http://www.iraqsnuclearmirage.com/index_en.php). He has some very interesting things to say, too. (Khadduri's blog: http://abutamam.blogspot.com/)

For instance, no one in the good old US of A realizes that when the Iraqi farmers start farming again, it will be illegal for them to use seeds from their last crops; instead they must buy genetically engineered seeds from Monsanto, an American conglomerate. "A new report [1] by GRAIN and Focus on the Global South has found that new legislation in Iraq has been carefully put in place by the US that prevents farmers from saving their seeds and effectively hands over the seed market to transnational corporations. This is a disastrous turn of events for Iraqi farmers, biodiversity and the country's food security. While political sovereignty remains an illusion, food sovereignty for the Iraqi people has been made near impossible by these new regulations." (http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/iraq_seeds.htm).

Furthermore, "The American Administrator of the Iraqi CPA (Coalition Provisional Authority) government, Paul Bremer, updated Iraq's intellectual property law to 'meet current internationally-recognized standards of protection'.
    The updated law makes saving seeds for next year's harvest, practiced by 97% of Iraqi farmers in 2002, and is the standard farming practice for thousands of years across human civilizations, to be now illegal.. Instead, farmers will have to obtain a yearly license for genetically modified (GM) seeds from American corporations. These GM seeds have typically been modified from seeds developed over thousands of generations by indigenous farmers like the Iraqis, and shared freely like agricultural 'open source.'"
    Iraq law Requires Seed Licenses November 13, 2004

"According to Order 81, paragraph 66 - [B], issued by L. Paul Bremer [CFR], the people in Iraq are now prohibited from saving seeds and may only plant seeds for their food from licensed, authorized U.S. distributors.
    The paragraph states, "Farmers shall be prohibited from re-using seeds of protected varieties or any variety mentioned in items 1 and 2 of paragraph [C] of Article 14 of this chapter."
    Written in massively intricate legalese, Order 81 directs the reader at Article 14, paragraph 2 [C] to paragraph [B] of Article 4, which states any variety that is different from any other known variety may be registered in any country and become a protected variety of seed - thus defaulting it into the "protected class" of seeds and prohibiting the Iraqis from reusing them the following season. Every year, the Iraqis must destroy any seed they have, and repurchase seeds from an authorized supplier, or face fines, penalties and/or jail time. "
    (http://magic-city-news.com/article_2812.shtml)

Now why would we think our genetically engineered seeds would produce better crops than the seeds the farmers have used over the centuries which have adapted to the growing conditions in Iraq?????

What the American press wants us to believe is a parallel reality to what is really going on in Iraq, or at least in the Iraq that is being reported on by civilians living here.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; January 28, 2005, 06:20 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Another Iraqi blogger, Raed Jarrar, reports on what's going on (he's living outside Iraq, but has family still living there). This is not the stuff you would read in the NYTimes. Even as an expatriate, he believes the Iraqi elections tomorrow are a sham.

Miulang

http://raedinthemiddle.blogspot.com/
      Last edited by Miulang; January 29, 2005, 08:14 AM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

This is from the blog of Khalid Jarrar, Raed's brother. Khalid is in Baghdad and writes in this excerpt about what he sees in that city as it prepares for its elections tomorrow. These Iraqis are educated, patriotic, and have clear ideas about what the elections are for, very different from the unwashed Muslim heathens who are the devil's spawn in the eyes of some Americans.

Miulang

"Are you into theatre?
        Cause you are all about to witness one of the biggest and most expensive ones in the history: The Elections in Iraq.
        If you're asking me (and I am sure you are, since you took the effort of remembering my URL and actually came here, again!), I think that the elections are nothing but an American game to give some kind of legitimacy to their presence in Iraq, by creating a government that supposedly is a legal Iraqi government, that is authorized "legally" to ask them to stay in Iraq, and will justify then, the much harsher attacks against anyone that resists their presence, the excuse will then be that: The elected Iraqi government asked us to do so and so.
        Well, the same thing is happening now, but since the Americans are getting more and more embarrassed everyday for the shameful results of their occupation, what's better than giving Iraqis the "democracy" and "freedom "to the point that they themselves can ask the Americans to stay?
        Very funny ha? Haha? Well I don’t think so.
        This is the biggest theatre and the lowest one I ever saw, the first elections in the history were people don’t know who is running, and the ones that are running never announced any political or economical agenda, we don’t even know their names for crying out loud, they are too afraid to announce their names!!!!!
        CBC is making a documentary about me, the Canadian channel, and I have been interviewing people, less than two weeks before the elections, and asking them: what are these elections for? And so many people think that it's to choose an Iraqi president, not a parliament! People don’t even know what these elections are for!!
        Wanna hear something people don’t know too? These elections are not only to chose a parliament!! they are also to chose a municipality!! people will go to vote twice, two deferent ballots and two deferent boxes, in the same location and the same day, and no one knows about this!
        Here is one new information for you!
        Did you know that the "ration" card of year 2005, that allows you to take sugar, flower and few other things too, which have been the main resource for Iraqi families' food since early nineties, will not be given except for those who will vote?
        When you go to the voting center they give you a paper that allows you to take the card from the ratio shop in your neighbor!
        Freedom… democracy…yahhhhoooooo! cheer up Iraqis and live happy
        !
        The way the elections will happen is that people will write the number of the "list" that they want to vote for, that lists contains so many parties and people that no one knows their names, EXCEPT!:
        The Shea list, which is now a religious duty to vote for, that is more important than praying and fasting, as Sistani said when he "ordered" Shea to go vote, and I am sure he didn’t mean that he wants people to vote for the communist party, do you?
        And the other one that we all know is, guess who? Yes! Allawi! He, unlike all others, had the chance to declare his name since people already know him and he has all the American protection, so there is nothing to be worried about, or is there?
        Well Allawi is spending like crazy on TV promotions on satellite channels, he also got 6 hours on air with Arabiya channel that seems to be rewarding him for his struggle against Aljazeera, anyways, Allawi has posters in the streets, but none of them survives for more than few hours, a day sometimes, before people tear them apart, I wonder where does he get the money for his campaign for? I will give you three options to test your brilliance: 1.Santa 2. His own many 3.our friends in the states?
        And to tell you the truth people in the street are very sure that his list and the Shea list are already winning lists, voting and stuff is only the boring routine work.
        I am sure that these elections came very much this way:

Condi: good morning Mr. preeesident
        Bush: good morning Condi have a seat...
        Condi: Mr. preeesident.. I think that we should make elections…….
        Bush: come on Condi for God's sake again? I am still so tiered of the last one! And weren’t we supposed to have them only once every four years?
        Condi: no Mr. preeeesident... I meant elections in Iraq!
        Bush: ohhh! They are officially a part of the states now? That’s great! But ia m afraid we will have to some tricks again, Kerry will do his best to win Iraqi's votes, I hate this guy!
        Condi: no no Mr. preeesident….I meant Iraqi elections for an Iraqi president!
        Bush: other than me?
        Condi: yes sir! We need one that can speak Iraqi!
        Bush: hoofff! I should have learned that earlier!
        Condi: don’t worry Mr. preeesident you still have a good chance, start learning Persian, sir!

Hehehe very funny right? Well I don’t think so.

I am afraid that the danger behind these election isn’t only in all what I said before, but I am afraid that it will be the bullet to kill the national unity, Shea want it and willing to defend it, Sonna don’t want it and willing to stop it, add to that recipe a lot of weapons and you will get a civil war.I am for the elections as a principle, of course, but not these elections, not before so many thigns are cleared and discussed, I don’t even mind a shea government if shea are the majority, that would be their right, right? (there aren’t any kind of statistics, official or not, about the percentage of Sonna and Shea) but once shea take most of the votes, what would prevent them from ruling iraq with a Sharea law based on the Shea principles? What prevents that knowing that shea voted basing on a fatwa from Sistani that makes voting a religious duty? Will the Sonna agree on this? Will the Kurds agree on this? What about Kirkuk? What about the national revenue, how is it going to be distributed? Now you cant have a job in some nay governmental ministries and agencies if you don’t have a recommendation from a Shea party, how do you think will it be if there was a really Shea government? How do you assure al the parties, other than Shea in Iraq, that their rights will be saved and guaranteed?
        Sonna, Kurds and of course also Christians and Turkman?
        What guarantees the integrity of this elections while its held under the occupation?
        Once all that is discussed and cleared, we will hold elections very smoothly, and we will all protect it against any foreign parties.
        The Americans are stupid, but they aren’t THAT stupid, they must know that a civil war is really close if they continue along their present path of divide and rule, so they must, therefore, WANT this result, I Ask God that Iraqis continue to resist this idea by all means possible like they have been doing for the last two years, say Ameen!
        Did I tell you about ballots? Besides the rumors that they are for sell if you have the money, I discovered that a ballot was sent to the ratio center to be given to all people, even Arabs! I can go take one! And I will only need an Iraqi ID to go vote! And you have no idea how easy it is to make a fake one hear, most of Sonna, about %80 basing on the survey made by the Islamic party, and about 90% basing on a survey made by a commission that works for the ministry of internal affairs, are not going to vote so they didn’t take their ballots, where do the ballots go then?
        Today I interviewed some people that are running for the elections (as a part of my work for islamonline.net), and they said that they have no guarantees that this process will be honest and fair, they just said "we hope so!! At least we will try to keep close to try to expose the tricks if we could!!"
        So if that’s what the candidates think, what do you expect from an average Iraqi to think?..." (note: I highlighted some of the most eye-opening parts of this entry)

Miulang

http://secretsinbaghdad.blogspot.com/
        Last edited by Miulang; January 29, 2005, 11:30 AM.

Comment

First the Sunnis advocated boycotting tomorrow's elections in Iraq, and now one of the leading Shiite clerics is also saying that the Shias should boycott tomorrow's elections because the US and coalition forces who occupy Iraq are using the election as another way to divide the country.

Gee, do you think maybe the Iraqis don't want us meddling in their affairs anymore? Mr. President, I think it's time to think about folding up the tents and leaving Dodge.

Miulang

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_boycott_dc_1

P.S. In other election-related news, the American Embassy in Baghdad was bombed today, killing a civilian and a sailor, while in other parts of the country, violence continued, even though the country is under a curfew.

Comment

More voices from within Iraq, commenting on the elections tomorrow (including one blog from an American civilian contractor):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/...og/default.stm

Miulang

Comment

If we are to believe this poll by the American polling outfit Zogby's, the majority of Sunnis and Shiites polled last week in Iraq want the US outta there asap! And if the results of the election follow the same trends, I wanna know when our troops will be coming home en masse.

Miulang

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/1...1301600000.htm

Comment

No one is quite sure yet what the actual percentage of registered voters who cast ballots in Iraq's first "democratic" election was, but the feeling is that it was above the 50% local administrators had hoped for.

And the President and Condoleeeeeeeeza were ecstatic in declaring the elections a success. OK, so now that the people have spoken, when can we start bringing our troops home en masse?

Miulang

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../ts_nm/iraq_dc

Comment

According to a special audit report released by the US Inspector General's office, more than $8.8 billion which was disbursed to various Iraqi ministries since 2003 is unaccounted for.

Paul Bremer, who led the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) between June 2003 and June 2004, flatly denounced the claims by the Inspector General by saying, "...the report had "many misconceptions and inaccuracies," and lacked professional judgment.

Bremer complained the report "assumes that Western-style budgeting and accounting procedures could be immediately and fully implemented in the midst of a war."

The inspector general said the occupying agency disbursed $8.8 billion to Iraqi ministries "without assurance the moneys were properly accounted for." ...

Hey, wait a minute. If something like that happened in this country, wouldn't the Feds be all over the case like bees on a hive? Why isn't it important to expect accountability from US representatives in charge of handling (and handing) money to a foreign country? Why did we assume the Iraqis would be able to account for any money given to them? Was this part of the $18 billion or so that we had allocated for the rebuilding of Iraq, the majority of which hasn't been spent yet?

Miulang

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._ea/iraq_funds

Comment

After Church, MAMA and I went to The Kaneohe Marine Base, to pay respect to the Marines,Sailor and LT. 1st Class Hoe whom all died in Iraq. As I walked to the Memorial, tears started to flow. I carried a small flag and a woven lei with two kukui nuts. I made my way past the crowd and other mourners. I didn't speak nor was aware of who else was there. I focused only on kneeling, saying a prayer to the fallen Heros and also mentioned Lt.1st Class Hoe, our island son. I stood up and headed straight towards my car and upon reaching there MAMA was crying too. GOD BLESS ALL OUR MEN AND WOMEN OF OUR ARMED FORCES...OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Election turnout reports directly from the field in Iraq from al Jazeera:
                      http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...461071FEAA.htm

Miulang

Comment

Could the following tactic, as described by Iraqi blogger Raed Jarrar, be the reason for the high voter turnout? I suspect that if I had to make a decision between risking life and limb and going to vote (even though I don't know who's running or what they stand for) is better than not having food rations to feed my kids.

Is this what "democracy" is all about????? The "Oil for Food" program should change its name to "Food for Votes".

Miulang

From Raed in the Middle today (1/30/2005)

"...The cowardly and corrupt bush administration, working along with the dirty allow(ie) government is coercing Iraqis to vote. The allow(ie) puppets are threatening Iraqis who don't vote that they will not get their monthly food rations.

The bush gang can do anything to reach to their goals.
                        I mean ANYTHING.

It is well known all over Iraq now that if you didn't go to vote, the government will cut your monthly food rations. EVERYONE is talking about this, and EVERYONE believes it too!!! and this is one of the main reasons of why millions of poor and destroyed Iraqis were dragged out of their homes today and sent to election centers in the middle of explosions and bullets. They don't give a damn about elections, they want food. Millions of Iraqis don't have the possibility of testing whether this rumor is true or false, this is about surviving. They are ready to put their lives in danger to go get their monthly food rations. ..."

"The fake government in Iraq announced that 72% of Iraqis voted today. Later they announced that 8 million Iraqis voted, which means that around 56% voted because the number of Eligible voters inside Iraq is more than 14.27 million.

There is NO WAY that the primitive weak Iraqi government could know how many people went to vote today this fast, and these numbers are mere exaggerated guesses.

Yet, they are stupid enough to miscalculate numbers.

The number of Iraqis outside is more than 4,000,000. 56% of Iraqis are older than 18 years, which means that around 2.5 million Iraqis are Eligible voters outside Iraq. Less than 250,000 of them voted.

The surprise is that by a simple calculation, the total number of Iraqi Eligible voters inside and outside the country is more than 16.75 millions, and the number of people that actually voted is less than 8.25 million !!!!!!!!!!!!!!..."

http://raedinthemiddle.blogspot.com/

Comment

Raed's Sunni brother Khalid had similar comments about the process for voting in Iraq today:

"the journalists asked the excecutive director: how did you know that the percentage of the voters in iraq is 72% like you announced?
                          he asnwered: "well, the head of every voting center estimated that basing on the length of the line of the voters as he saw it!"
                          hehehe! see how sceintific? how accurate? he actually said that!
                          the way the voting happened, is that you go to the voting center, and you go to the man that is your ration dealer, the oen that you take the ration from him every month, so you tell him that you are gonna vote, he marks your name on his list, and then you vote!!!
                          that way the goverment will know exactly who voted and who didnt, two dealers said that the next years' card won't be given to those who didnt vote..
                          hmm..."

Of course, the American neocons and Bush Administration supporters will just say that there is a bunch of anti-American Iraqis trying to cause trouble by blogging things like this, but if I come across any other mentions of this "Food for Vote" campaign among non-related Iraqi bloggers, I would say this is the Coalition's "dirty little secret" that should be exposed for what it is...just the same way voter fraud was exposed in this country...

Miulang

http://secretsinbaghdad.blogspot.com/

Comment

Another Iraqi blogger posting last night on the eve of the elections about this apprehensions:

"Saturday, January 29, 2005

Election Night Jitters

Recklessness and Irresponsibility

I have some difficulty unraveling my own complex feelings regarding the big election day tomorrow.

On the one hand, I am passionately for democracy in principle. It is the only hope for Iraq. On the other hand, I am passionately against these particular elections. They are only an ugly, distorted imitation of democracy. I am convinced that they will not lead to stability … or even democracy.

I agree with fellow Iraqis who want these elections postponed or even boycotted. We have already seen these elections boycotted by the vast majority of expatriate Iraqis.

But I cannot blame the people who want to take part in them! In fact, I have nothing but admiration for those people who are going to risk their lives to cast their vote tomorrow.

These people are not corrupt politicians greedy for power and wealth. They are not “collaborators”. They are people going out to vote for issues or people they believe in whether their motives are ethnic, religious, sectarian, political, economic or nationalistic. Most of them want to exercise their right to have their say for the first time in more than 50 years.

I may disagree with many of these people; some may be misguided… but they certainly don’t deserve to die!

Their safety is the responsibility of those who are running the country.

Imagine that it is known that there were bombs on a number of the planes leaving JFK airport on a certain day. What should the authorities do? What would you do? Ask the people to go about their business, make a stand against terrorism, show courage and board those planes – telling them not to be intimidated by terrorists? The show must go on? Would that be a responsible thing to do? Later, when the worst comes to the worst… blame the terrorists for the unfortunate loss of life… and call it a day? Wouldn’t that be reckless and irresponsible? Yet, this is what we have.

Let us have a look at those different people urging the Iraqi people to go out and vote.

1. The US administration’s representatives in Iraq, the US army and the Interim government running the country from heavily defended fortresses… and cannot even protect those fortresses. Yet, they hope to protect more than 6000 polling stations across the country… where people are to go, to vote.

2. These people in charge do not venture out of their fortresses unless heavily armored and covered by a blanket of security. Yet they ask unarmed men and women to go out and expose themselves to danger.

3. Candidates who are not prepared to go out and take a risk and campaign for themselves. Some do not even have the courage to have their names published and be known. Secret candidates! Yet, they want Iraqis to take the risk and vote for them.

4. Many American super-patriots who are still shivering with anger or fear of attacks carried out on three buildings in their country more than three years ago. Yet, they ask Iraqi housewives (eg Rose) not to be frightened or intimidated by terrorists… in a country that is going through multitudes of 9/11’s regularly.

5. A country that is wisely taking measure after measure to protect its frightened citizens and ensure their safety through stringent finger print and eye retina scans for visitors… is so eager to expose Iraqis to grave danger.

6. President Bush who did not return to his seat of government immediately after those attacks, fearing for his safety. Yet, he asks Iraqis to show courage.

7. The UN Secretary General, who withdrew his entire staff from Iraq following one attack. Now he is asking Iraqis to vote in a dangerous situation and telling them that the UN will do everything to help them.

Reckless and irresponsible!

Isn’t it enough for Iraqis to live under the constant threat of random violence, just going about their shattered lives? Governments should be less reckless and more responsible than that! People should be more caring for fellow human beings.

Make no mistake! The decision to go on with these elections was made in Washington DC. I still remember that day. Several parties in Iraq started requesting a postponement. President Bush promptly announced that there will be no postponement. Hours later, Ambassador Negroponte, who was on a visit to Fallujah, re-iterated. Several hours later, a spokesman for Mr. Allawi re-iterated the same position. The decision was already made. The show must go on!

People are going to die tomorrow. Who will be responsible? Zarqawi? Terrorists? Insurgent? Extremist fundamentalists? Possibly. But it is the responsibility of those in charge of the country to create a secure environment so that people can participate in elections… in safety...."

My note: As a postscript, "only" 44 people were reportedly killed in skirmishes around Iraq related to voting. But then again, we still don't know how many Iraqis showed up to vote, rumors of losing their ration cards notwithstanding (reporters for the Washington Post in a Sunni city did report that there were rumors being spread about people who didn't vote not being able to get their 2005 ration cards...but so far I have only seen it verified as "rumors" by the "legitimate" US press as a ploy to get more people in the Sunni regions to vote....it's still extortion and coercion.

Miulang

http://iraquna.blogspot.com/
                            Last edited by Miulang; January 30, 2005, 04:48 PM.

Comment

The same blogger above got his hands on a "forecast" of seats that will be allocated by the number of votes cast today. It's interesting to note that this list was sent around before today. It will be even more interesting to see how close these predictions come to the actual composition of the interim governing body. There will be a total of 275 seats assigned. We won't know the results for at least 2 weeks!

Miulang
                              Predicted Election Results:

(Please refer to Zeyad’s recent post in (Healing Iraq) for more details of the slates and the parties they contain. Slates are listed in iraqelect.com. The Middle East Reference gives more details of the various groups.)

1. PM Ayad Allawi’s slate, Al-Iraqiya coalition, 40 seats.

2. The United Iraqi Coalition. This has become known as Sistani’s slate. The slate includes the larger Shiite Islamic parties and movements. It includes several GC members. It also includes Mr. Chalabi -30 seats.

3. Pachachi’s slate. Former IGC member and candidate for the Interim Presidency. The slate includes several Interim Ministers of planning and electricity - 24 seats.

4. Interim President, Ghazi Al-Yawar’s list includes several figures already in the government such as the outspoken Defense Minister and the Minister of Industry - 16 seats.

5. The major Kurdish factions: the KDP (Barazani): 20 seats, the PUK (Talibani): 20 seats Kurdish Independents + Kurdish Islamic Union: 15 seats. Total - 55 seats.

6. The Iraqi Communist party. Headed by Hamid Majid Musa, Governing Council member - 12 seats.

7. The National Democratic Coalition slate. Headed by Tawfiq Al-Yassiri, National Council member. List includes Justice Minister - 3 seats.

8. Christians, Sabeans and Yazidis. The Al-Rafidain coalition slate is headed by Yunadim Ganna, former GC member and National Council member. This is a closed slate of about 30 Iraqis from the Christian Assyrian, Chaldean and Armenian minorities - 10 seats.

9. Turkmen. Several parties in two coalitions: Iraq’s Turkmen Front and Justice and Future Coalition – 15 seats.

10. The Independent Democratic Trend slate headed by Aziz Al-Yassiri - 3 seats.

11. Hameed Al-Kifa'i, former spokesman for the GC. One seat each, Mr. Al-Kifa’i, Mrs. Chabuk and Mr. Barrak, all former IGC members – 3 seats.

12. The Constitutional Monarchy Movement list - 3 seats.

13. Mr. Iyad Jamaliddin – 1 seat.

14. Mr. Saad Salih Jabur – 1 seat.

The rest will be left to the election process!

Comment

Additional corroboration from other sources that there was a common belief among voters that their food ration cards would be withheld if they didn't show up to vote yesterday. Food for Votes, a travesty of a democracy that the Iraqis want nothing of.

Miulang

http://www.dahrjamailiraq.com/hard_n...ews/000192.php

Comment

Working...
                                X