This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: this forum name is abhorrent

My sincere apologies Admin. I humbly am sorry. I will not do that again. There was no excuse whatsoever even how much I was angered. No excuse at all.

Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Disagreeing is one thing. Threatening to hurt someone takes the discussion into a different and, for me, unwelcome realm, although that might be local style. Someone new here has some pretty strong opinions. So do I, so does Auntie Lynn, so do a lot of people. That's what you get when you got people, unless they're all automatons. And using "ignore" is great for those who really don't want to deal with (or who feel threatened by) diversity of opinion. Especially if you think someone's just trolling. But I don't think he/she is *just* trolling. There might be some good points buried under all that strong language, if one looks hard enough, even though one still might disagree with them. Instead of responding with howls of outrage, why not try respectfully discussing the different points? I guess that's a rhetorical question.

Edited to add: Both Admin and Auntie Lynn posted while I was typing. Kudos to Auntie Lynn for publicly apologizing! Very gracious. OK, I'll go away now.
      Last edited by MadAzza; January 3, 2006, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        My sincere apologies Admin. I humbly am sorry. I will not do that again. There was no excuse whatsoever even how much I was angered. No excuse at all.

Lynn
        Just shows what happens when we allow ourselves to be dragged down by a "master-baiter."

OW!
        OW!
        OW!

Oh, come on - admit it - you laughed!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
          why not try respectfully discussing the different points? I guess that's a rhetorical question.
          It's a two-way street, but respectful discussion is clearly not Stumpy's goal.
          (I think a viewing of Monty Python's "Argument Clinic" sketch is in order now.)

Comment

But it shouldn't matter if the other side is respectful or not. If one side of an argument stays respectful and on point, and the other side doesn't, it just makes the other side look like an idiot. And the first side wins! (Wins what's really important, anyway. IMO)

Comment

Originally posted by admin
              Stumphurple, it is clear from your posting across several unrelated topics that, despite your "who me?" protestations to the contrary, your interest and enjoyment seems to come primarily from trolling -- posting provocative and inflammatory messages only to derive satisfaction from the inevitable contrary responses. Your characterization of everyone here as "Hawaiian Activists" and use of baiting language makes it obvious you both don't understand the nature of our community, nor how to interact online at all.

If you continue this trend -- particularly turning other innocuous conversations into debates about America and the failings of Hawaii -- you will not be welcome here.

Obviously, this is not the first warning you've received to this effect, but I'll make it official. We've only banned a handful of people for reasons besides simple spamming, and I'd hate to add to that list of infamy.
              admin i admit some of my posts have been provocative. however i have not characterized everyone here as a 'Hawaiian activisit'. that was a reference specifically to the content of this thread. in other threads, i discussed other issues. for example in the education thread i pointed out a simple fact: that hawaii has an abysmal ranking nationally. this was in response to a posters unwarranted assertion that hawaii public schools do focus on academic excellence [which i proposed as a remedy to school bullying]. that discussion never focused on hawaiian activists, though the poster became angry at the suggestion that hawaii public schools were failing.

am i to understand that there are to be no postings on hawaii drawbacks? am i always supposed to praise the great ancestors of noble natives, never pointing out how naive such a view really is? should i only post about great weather or how much better our rice is than mainland rice or how people in hawaii always show aloha? is that the exclusive scope of discussion on this board? if so sure i could contribute more along those lines. i could also get paid to do that at a tourism ad agency.

honestly it seems pathetic that talking about patrotism and democracy and academic achievement generates negative reaction in the first place. but that seems to be the case. thats not my fault.

so far, most of my discussions have touched on uncomfortable topics because those are topics worth discussing. users have the right and perhaps the responsibility to hit ignore if they cant stand a challenge to their set notions. some users already have.

but no i dont plan to proliferate these discussions to every single thread. in fact i will restrict my discussion on these issues to threads where they are currently being discussed. i will not expand beyond that and if i start/contribute to other threads they will be on different issues. it seems eminently reasonable to restrict if only for bandwidth concerns repetitive posting. im sorry if i did not realize this initially. i will do so in the future.

however insisting that i never disagree with the majority opinion here is quite frankly ludicrous. i will do my best to contribute to this board but i do not believe that can best be accomplished by simply marching in lock step with everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                (Wins what's really important, anyway. IMO)
                There's where you and I would part company, Maddie. I don't expect Stumphurple to change opinions based on my postings here, nor will I change mine based on his (am I wrong in assuming masculine gender?; my apologies if Stumphurple is female) - I just enjoy respectful debate for the sake of exchanging ideas.

If Stumphurple had come onto this forum and begun making clear points of disagreement, rather than attacking and insulting the patriotism of those who do not share his perspective, he might have found a more welcoming space.

But Ryan has pointed out that he should consider changing how he posts to HT, before he is banned for his behavior (a power that Ryan yields with great care and caution, I am happy to see.) Perhaps that will be effective; I don't know, since Stumphurple has become the first to take up residence on my "ignore" list - even Mr. Tadani didn't earn that rare distinction. But since Stumphurple's posts show no evolution in his arguments or perspective, I grew tired of reading (and responding to) the same drivel, especially since I could see myself being increasingly tainted by his muck.

Comment

Originally posted by stumphurple
                  i will do my best to contribute to this board but i do not believe that can best be accomplished by simply marching in lock step with everyone else.
                  Listen to this if nothing else: There is no "everyone else." Don't try to make yourself into a martyr. That won't fly here.

Welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    Just shows what happens when we allow ourselves to be dragged down by a "master-baiter."

OW!
                    OW!
                    OW!

Oh, come on - admit it - you laughed!
                    Ok, ok...I admit I laughed and I admit it took me a few seconds to 'get it'. Then I laughed. Glad you added that last sentence or it mighta flown right over my head! Deadlines breed lack of concentration!

Comment

Originally posted by stumphurple
                      admin i admit some of my posts have been provocative.
                      And in the right measures, Stump, provocative is good. But you need to step a back and realize the first impression you've made here. It explains the hostile response you've received, consistently, in the various topics you've posted in, whether those posts were relevant or not.

It's like walking into a gathering in a park, where people have been discussing many things, and suddenly derailing the conversation... coming in to a friendly place with both barrels blasting, with the attitude of knowing everything, and seeing nothing but ignorance.

A fun thread about "This Day in History"? A mention of Queen Emma sparks this rant. It wasn't even a political discussion. While you made a good point or two in this post (it's clear you're no fool when it comes to history), how do you expect anyone to see past baiting labels like "marxists," or describing other posters' views as just "tying everything in the world to a conspiracy of evil capitalists"?

Personally, I feel many of your posts have had a core of knowledge to them. You just seem to enjoy punching it up with loaded words, and thrive when people take the bait. This is the negative side of "provocative."

There's nothing wrong with talking about patriotism. There's also nothing wrong with being skeptical of some of the trappings of patriotism. There is something wrong with how you're presenting your views. And there is something wrong with declaring, on your first day here, that "a lot of the discussion on this forum seems to be anti-american."

And I most certainly do not insist that you "never disagree with the majority opinion here," or "march in lockstep," a characterization of my message that I resent. I doubt there is a single "majority opinion here," firstly, and two, disagreements and debate are a hallmark of this community. Heck, we've had debates on whether we're too mean!

Again, the primary objection is how you're conducting yourself, not neccessarily the points you're making. Please review your own short history here, and imagine a similar blustery arrival into your own group of friends.

Comment

Before piling on any further, please note the end of this post. Hopefully, things will settle down a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                          And there is something wrong with declaring, on your first day here, that "a lot of the discussion on this forum seems to be anti-american."
                          Huh?? If that's someone's honest impression, why is it wrong for him/her to say so? I'm not talking about the poster in question; I mean, in general. The poster said "seems to be," not "is," which seems (ha!) fair enough.

One should feel free to express an opinion about one's first impression of a place without risking censure. One also should feel free to back up such a remark with examples. Others should feel free to jump in for a lively debate.

IMO, YMMV, WWJD, etc.

Comment

I, myself am pro-american. That said still doesn't change the fact that many American Policies and citizens are crazy. Possibly myself included. I'll have to ask my evil twin for confirmation.
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                              I'll have to ask my evil twin for confirmation.
                              The one with the VW van, yeah? One cool dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                                The one with the VW van, yeah? One cool dude.
                                Yeah I'm just a Hippie with a haircut! And gonna go see Led Zepplica soon!
                                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X