The "Real" Middle Eastern War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Real" Middle Eastern War

This article was printed in the GuardianLimited, which is a respected news source:

Worlds apart
    Monday February 6, 2006

"Israelis have always been horrified at the idea of parallels between their country, a democracy risen from the ashes of genocide, and the racist system that ruled the old South Africa. Yet even within Israel itself, accusations persist that the web of controls affecting every aspect of Palestinian life bears a disturbing resemblance to apartheid. After four years reporting from Jerusalem and more than a decade from Johannesburg before that, the Guardian's award-winning Middle East correspondent Chris McGreal is exceptionally well placed to assess this explosive comparison. Here we publish the first part of his two-day special report.

Said Rhateb was born in 1972, five years after Israeli soldiers fought their way through East Jerusalem and claimed his family's dry, rock-strewn plot as part of what the Jewish state proclaimed its "eternal and indivisible capital". The bureaucrats followed in the army's footsteps, registering and measuring Israel's largest annexation of territory since its victory over the Arab armies in the 1948 war of independence. They cast an eye over the Rhateb family's village of Beit Hanina and its lands, a short drive from the biblical city on the hill, and decided the outer limits of this new Jerusalem. The Israelis drew a line on a map - a new city boundary - between Beit Hanina's lands and most of its homes. The olive groves and orchards were to be part of Jerusalem; the village was to remain in the West Bank.

The population was not so neatly divided. Arabs in the area were registered as living in the village - even those, like Rhateb's parents, whose homes were inside what was now defined as Jerusalem. In time, the Israelis gave the Rhatebs identity cards that classified them as residents of the West Bank, under military occupation. When Said Rhateb was born, he too was listed as living outside the city's boundaries. His parents thought little of it as they moved freely across the invisible line drawn by the Israelis, shopping and praying inside the walls of Jerusalem's Old City.

Four decades later, the increasingly complex world of Israel's system of classification deems Said Rhateb to be a resident of the West Bank - somewhere he has never lived - and an illegal alien for living in the home in which he was born, inside the Jerusalem boundary. Jerusalem's council forces Rhateb to pay substantial property taxes on his house but that does not give him the right to live in it, and he is periodically arrested for doing so. Rhateb's children have been thrown out of their Jerusalem school, he cannot register a car in his name - or rather he can, but only one with Palestinian number plates, which means he cannot drive it to his home because only Israeli-registered cars are allowed within Jerusalem - and he needs a pass to visit the centre of the city. The army grants him about four a year.

There is more. If Rhateb is not legally resident in his own home, then he is defined as an "absentee" who has abandoned his property. Under Israeli law, it now belongs to the state or, more particularly, its Jewish citizens. "They sent papers that said we cannot sell the land or develop it because we do not own the land. It belongs to the state," he says. "Any time they want to confiscate it, they can, because they say we are absentees even though we are living in the house. That's what forced my older brother and three sisters to live in the US. They couldn't bear the harassment."

read the full article here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Sto...703245,00.html

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      This is what Wiki says about Judaism: "...The values and history of the Jewish people are a major part of the foundation of other Abrahamic religions such as Christianity, Islam, as well as Samaritanism and the Bahá'í Faith...." That's a pretty interesting statement: Judaism and Islam HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON! Wow! What a concept!
      Miulang
      Except when it comes to religious laws as illustrated in this article. Atefha Sahaaleh.

Comment

A report from the Human Rights Watch:

Discrimination Against Palestinian Arab Children in Israel's Schools:

http://www.hrw.org/reports/2001/israel2/

"Palestinian Arab citizens of Israel make up nearly one-quarter of Israel's schoolchildren. Yet Palestinian Arab children receive an education that is inferior in nearly every respect when compared to Jewish children. Educated in schools run by the Israeli government but separated from Jewish children, Palestinian Arab citizen's schools are more crowded with fewer teachers per child, and in worse physical condition. Some schools lack libraries, counselors, and recreation facilities. Palestinian Arab school children get fewer enrichment and remedial programs, and special education services, than Jewish children receive. Many communities have no kindergartens for three and four-year-olds.

Palestinian Arabs experience discrimination at every level of the education system. As a result, they are three times as likely to drop out than Jewish children and rarely make it to university.

The Israeli government acknowledges that significant gaps exist between Jewish and Arab education but has done little to ensure that current government resources are allocated equally, and even less to address the legacy of generations of government discrimination in education against Palestinian Arab children."

http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/israel/schools/index.htm

pax

Comment

in case there is any concern that I don't balance this view, here is some apologia:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...yths/mf18.html

MYTH

"Israel discriminates against its Arab citizens."

FACT

Israel is one of the most open societies in the world. Out of a population of 6.7 million, about 1.3 million — 20 percent of the population — are non-Jews (approximately 1.1 million Muslims, 130,000 Christians and 100,000 Druze).1

Arabs in Israel have equal voting rights; in fact, it is one of the few places in the Middle East where Arab women may vote. Arabs currently hold 8 seats in the 120-seat Knesset. Israeli Arabs have also held various government posts, including one who served as Israel's ambassador to Finland and the current deputy mayor of Tel Aviv. Oscar Abu Razaq was appointed Director General of the Ministry of Interior, the first Arab citizen to become chief executive of a key government ministry. Ariel Sharon's original cabinet included the first Arab minister, Salah Tarif, a Druze who served as a minister without portfolio. An Arab is also a Supreme Court justice.

Arabic, like Hebrew, is an official language in Israel. More than 300,000 Arab children attend Israeli schools. At the time of Israel's founding, there was one Arab high school in the country. Today, there are hundreds of Arab schools.2

In 2002, the Israeli Supreme Court also ruled that the government cannot allocate land based on religion or ethnicity, and may not prevent Arab citizens from living wherever they choose.2a

The sole legal distinction between Jewish and Arab citizens of Israel is that the latter are not required to serve in the Israeli army. This is to spare Arab citizens the need to take up arms against their brethren. Nevertheless, Bedouins have served in paratroop units and other Arabs have volunteered for military duty. Compulsory military service is applied to the Druze and Circassian communities at their own request.

Some economic and social gaps between Israeli Jews and Arabs result from the latter not serving in the military. Veterans qualify for many benefits not available to non-veterans. Moreover, the army aids in the socialization process.

On the other hand, Arabs do have an advantage in obtaining some jobs during the years Israelis are in the military. In addition, industries like construction and trucking have come to be dominated by Israeli Arabs.

Although Israeli Arabs have occasionally been involved in terrorist activities, they have generally behaved as loyal citizens. During the 1967, 1973 and 1982 wars, none engaged in any acts of sabotage or disloyalty. Sometimes, in fact, Arabs volunteered to take over civilian functions for reservists. During the outbreak of violence in the territories that began in September 2000, Israeli Arabs for the first time engaged in widespread protests with some violence.

The United States has been independent for almost 230 years and still has not integrated all of its diverse communities. Even today, 60 years after civil rights legislation was adopted, discrimination has not been eradicated. It should not be surprising that Israel has not solved all of its social problems in only 57 years.

pax

Comment

Sadly, it appears that the political turmoil in the Levant is having some dreadful repercussions in this country.

This afternoon, at about 4 p.m., a man claiming to be an American Muslim, entered the Jewish Federation Building in downtown Seattle. He shot 6 people and killed one of them. Witnesses said he was shouting that he wanted Israel to get rid of all its weapons as he was shooting.

This is so sadly reminiscent of what happened here in Seattle immediately after 9/11, when people of all faiths went to pay their respects and show their support to the Muslim community at their synagogue. Some crazy man drove through the crowd in the parking lot, apparently because he hated Muslims. Mercifully, no one was seriously injured (the perpetrator was drunk).

Why, why, why do we have to continue to preach hate against others who are different from us?

Per Pua'i's rhetorical questions above, if you go to youtube, you will see video clips of Palestinian children being stoned by Jewish children who are in occupied Palestine (the Jewish kids being the ones who are surrounded by Palestinians). Hatred is being taught at a very young age in those encampments. What about the pictures of Israeli children "autographing" missiles which were destined to be fired onto innocent Palestinian children. What kind of "gift" is that?

Really people, this is sick. Isn't it bad enough that the world has to endure natural disasters which are not preventable? War and hatred are preventable. All it takes is the willingness to try to understand the other side.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
              Except when it comes to religious laws as illustrated in this article. Atefha Sahaaleh.
              Instead of always putting the spotlight on differences, why not start the unification process by looking at the SIMILARITIES?

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: Support growing for Hezbollah

Originally posted by Levia
                You see what kind of chaos this kind of hate filled talk causes?!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060729/...attle_shooting

Innocent Americans, innocent pregnant women, shot by an American Muslem. It's what you've been wishing for! You must be very happy.
                It was a violent act committed by one person. You cannot indict a whole community for the actions of that one person. A representative from Seattle's Muslim community was there almost immediately after the incident occurred, and on camera he apologized to the family members of those who were wounded.

Immediately after the 9/11 tragedy, many people of all faiths (Jewish included) went to show their support for the Muslim community at their synagogue in North Seattle. A drunken SOB plowed through the crowd...his excuse was that he hated Muslims and wanted to punish them for 9/11.

What do senseless acts like these do but promote more hatred and violence? Will there now be attacks on that Muslim synagogue again to pay back the Muslim community for the latest religious violence in Seattle?

Miulang

P.S. as with Pua'i, I am not trying to be a Muslim apologist. However, I do feel that it is important to have both sides of the dispute see their day in court. As I have sincerely believed all along, neither the Zionists nor Hezbollah is completely wrong for what they are doing...but neither is either side completely right, either. And I cannot "pick sides" because I see the humanity in all people.
                Last edited by Miulang; July 28, 2006, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Per Pua'i's rhetorical questions above, if you go to youtube, you will see video clips of Palestinian children being stoned by Jewish children who are in occupied Palestine (the Jewish kids being the ones who are surrounded by Palestinians). Hatred is being taught at a very young age in those encampments. What about the pictures of Israeli children "autographing" missiles which were destined to be fired onto innocent Palestinian children. What kind of "gift" is that?

Miulang
                  As I sit here in front of my computer this early evening...my tears are coming down from mine eyes. I pray for our children. I pray for our World. I pray for Peace.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

the beauty and the ugliness of the internet...

I'm amazed only now you realized these kind of pictures/videos are being posted.

You will see some really scary stuff if you really do a thorough search of some of the youtube videos.

Comment

Instead of always putting the spotlight on differences, why not start the unification process by looking at the SIMILARITIES?

Miulang
                      That's a nice thought. The fact is that the differences are dramatic. How exactly do you unify with an enemy who seeks to destroy you? I understand very well the issues on the Arab side - I was a major supporter of Arafat, et al for years and could make every argument out there defending the PLO. Times have changed. The Israelis are in a fight for their lives and the enemy is radical Islam which is determined to destroy Israel and our Western way of life with its freedoms and liberties - on a very basic level as a woman with gay friends that worries me - radical Islam has no tolerance for those it deems deviant as demonstrated at the link that made you unhappy. The battle for Western civilization is being fought right now, today, in Israel and Lebanon. You may think that's overly dramatic but I don't.

Comment

That's a nice thought. The fact is that the differences are dramatic. How exactly do you unify with an enemy who seeks to destroy you? I understand very well the issues on the Arab side - I was a major supporter of Arafat, et al for years and could make every argument out there defending the PLO. Times have changed. The Israelis are in a fight for their lives and the enemy is radical Islam which is determined to destroy Israel and our Western way of life with its freedoms and liberties - on a very basic level as a woman with gay friends that worries me - radical Islam has no tolerance for those it deems deviant as demonstrated at the link that made you unhappy. The battle for Western civilization is being fought right now, today, in Israel and Lebanon. You may think that's overly dramatic but I don't.
                        You are certainly entitled to your opinion, Glossyp. That's why America is such a great country.

Miulang

P.S. The reason why Israel may perceive it is in the fight for its life is because world opinion (particularly in the Arab world, and among Arab countries that have treaties with Israel) is that they are being a little too overzealous in their use of high tech arms, which should give them a definite advantage, and yet somehow, those sneaky Arab terrorists are managing to hold their own. The Levant is the birthplace of MANY of the world's religions, not just Judaism. And all religions should be given the same respect. You want to talk politics (if one can separate it from religion), well, that's a whole nother can of worms. As for the assertion that radical Islam threatens to destroy our (meaning the US) liberties and rights, we don't have to wait for that. Our own Congress and White House are dismantling our freedoms as we speak, without any threats or help from the radical Islamics.
                        Last edited by Miulang; July 28, 2006, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Another casualty of the Lebanon conflict

Besides the displacement of hundreds of thousands of civilians and the destruction of critical infrastructure, something else in Lebanon is being dramatically affected, and may take even longer to recover: the environment.

Miulang

Comment

Even the very pro-Israeli Jersualem Post is now expressing doubts about the IDF's stategy in Lebanon.

Some traditionalists still believe that while the fighting is raging, no questions should be raised, but they're a receding minority. The amount of criticism found daily in the newspapers and on the nightly TV shows can easily give the impression that the once all-powerful IDF is now an inept and bumbling organization, directed by vainglorious generals using faulty intelligence...

Another reason that reporters are aware of mistakes almost as soon as they are made is the IDF Spokesperson's policy of openness.
                            Not only Israeli journalists, but even the generally hostile foreign media were supplied with briefings and visits to usually restricted air force bases, during combat missions.
                            Miulang

Comment

As for the assertion that radical Islam threatens to destroy our (meaning the US) liberties and rights, we don't have to wait for that. Our own Congress and White House are dismantling our freedoms as we speak, without any threats or help from the radical Islamics.
                              And what rights and freedoms have you lost? Any gay or adulterous people executed here for their sexual behavior? Anyone in America suffered genital mutiliation by government mandate recently? How about locked up for publishing a newspaper? Examples please. Your claim that we are losing our freedoms and that it is no different than what radical Islam would do is specious.

Comment

I have great admiration for Israel. I think it is noble that this country rose out of post WWII devasation and gives the Jews their sense of place and homeland. I admire the heck out of a country that can take a dead language (well, incubated only through the temples, but otherwise banned and persecuted across the world) and get over 2 million people to make it live again. And the courage and tenacity for such a nation to exist--no, thrive--when all her neighbors wishes we she were dead, well, you gotta flick your bic at her.

But sitting on my comfy butt on this side of the planet, I confess that there are a couple of things that I wish Israel would correct. The best way to beat an enemy is to make him a friend. So if she would just take care of her Arab citizens, then she makes a genuine and real effort towards reducing the logic that some kid harbors inside to turn himself into a walking claymore mine.

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X