Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Five Years after 9/11/01

Hui Auntie Lynn,

Ever since 911, we've been proudly displaying the Red, White & Blue at our doorstep!
    Lovena

Comment

Posted by Bard:
      It takes some rearranging of one's picture of reality to take into account two skyscrapers falling down like that, 'cause it just doesn't happen.
      are you one of the people that believe in the whole conspiracy theory that the towers were brought down by some other means than the planes?

I didn't know this thread would become so interesting and I appreciate all of your inputs on what you were doing on that day.... I just had to reflect and I hope others will too.

Manoa

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastTropics
        Hui Auntie Lynn,

Ever since 911, we've been proudly displaying the Red, White & Blue at our doorstep!
        Thank you very much my dear!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Get over it, shit happens, life has got to go on. The more you don't get over it, the more the world will be filled with hate and xenophobia, the more your own government will make you fearful and afraid, the more that even your most bacic civil rights will be eroded. Just look at what has has
          happened since that day!

Excuse me, rant over.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
            Get over it, shit happens, life has got to go on. The more you don't get over it, the more the world will be filled with hate and xenophobia, the more your own government will make you fearful and afraid, the more that even your most bacic civil rights will be eroded. Just look at what has has
            happened since that day!

Excuse me, rant over.
            Susie, 9/11 will never be forgotton. It will be forever in our hearts and minds for those of us that witnessed this tregedy as it materialized on Television. It brought our Nation together because our fellow citizens were innocent victims of the highest crime in History ~ Terrorism.

"Get over it, shit happens, life has got to go on." I don't think so. Not for the families, not for men and women who continue to fight the War against Terrorism so we can Continue to live in FREEDOM! Especially, not for our Nation!!!!

Yes, we have gone forward. A new building has been built. The Pentagon was fixed. But the wounds are still new. Five years is nuttin. It will take more than five years to ease the pain in which are imbedded in our hearts and minds.

The United States may have Ukapila Problems. However, when our citizens are victimized as they were on 9/11...the whole Nation mourns. On September 11, 2006 we will once again mourn and reflect in unison.

Why? Because we are Americans!

Auntie Lynn
            Last edited by 1stwahine; August 31, 2006, 05:43 AM.

Comment

I never said 'forget about it', Auntie.

What are you doing up at this time of night, anyways?

Comment

I never said 'forget about it', Auntie.

What are you doing up at this time of night, anyways?
                My Dear Susie, I apologize. My Bad.

Still, "Get over it" will never be achieved for the same reasons I stated.

I'm having a hard time sleeping. I'm used to hearing my granddaughter cry. My hale is quiet.

Auntie Lynn
                Last edited by 1stwahine; August 31, 2006, 05:44 AM.

Comment

I know, is hard for get over...but what other choice?

Where's the baby gone to?

Comment

happened since that day!

Excuse me, rant over.

Get over it ? Shit Happens ? You tell that to someone who lost a love on there, or the kid who has no father because they died there. You have alot of nerve, missy. Not all of us are stupid enough to belive all the government induced paranoia, but what happened on 9-11 certainly bears some need for the change in the way we live. And no one is "Getting over it" any time soon.

Can you be any MORE callous ?
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

And the Japanese, who got two bombs dropped on them? And the Rwandans, who hacked a million of their own people to death? And Darfur? And the concentration camps of the second world war?

None of those, worse, incidents led to as much continuing hate and fear and disharmony as did the events of 9/11.

I am not a callous person, just a realistic one.

Comment

And the Japanese, who got two bombs dropped on them? And the Rwandans, who hacked a million of their own people to death? And Darfur? And the concentration camps of the second world war?

None of those, worse, incidents led to as much continuing hate and fear and disharmony as did the events of 9/11.

Susie, I'm not going to get into a debate with you. This thread is about "Remembering what you did on 9/11 and Flying a US Flag in observance for those who perished and for those who continue the fight against Terrorism."

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                          are you one of the people that believe in the whole conspiracy theory that the towers were brought down by some other means than the planes?
                          Nope. That would be my co-worker

I just meant, that's sorta how it felt watching it. Hard to believe.

Comment

No, you're f*ckin callous. And no one is forgetting THOSE events either. They still show those horrific Holocaust films in schools, dead bodies being bulldozed into piles in Nazi Germany. Talk to any Jewish person about the Holocaust and see how the words "Get over it" and "Shit Happens" go over with THEM.

Also, in Tokyo, there are parts you just don't go as an American unaccompanied by a Japanese person, even so, you will be asked to leave...why? Because there is a certain faction that still hasn't "gotten over it".

Those people haven't "gotten over it", they have museums, memorials, holidays, films and textbooks and make sure to keep these things known to future generations so history doesn't dare repeat it's ugly self.

You couldn't BE more callous with a statement like that. "Get Over it" is something you say to someone who gets dumped by a cheating boyfriend or girlfriend,not tragedies like Hiroshima, and 9-11. They move on, rebuild, but never forget or resort to a cheezy phrase like "Shit Happens" or "get over it"
                            Last edited by tikiyaki; August 31, 2006, 06:07 AM.
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                              That would be a first in a presidency...a yin AND yang....maybe it would present a balance instead of what we have now....which is all of one and none of the other.
                              Back in the early days of this nation, the top two vote-getters were elected President and Vice-President, even if they were from opposing parties and were bitter enemies. But the job of VP was almost entirely ceremonial at that time; these days, it's the Veep who is the Wizard behind the curtains.

Comment

Susie, you're out of line. The whole point here is to remember 9/11, where we were, what we were doing, and how we felt. Since you invoke Rwandans and the Japanese, I'm pretty sure telling them that, "Get over it, shit happens, life has got to go on," would be poorly received as well. Yes, life has to go on, no argument there, and it does. But to so flippantly dismiss something that clearly still strikes at the core of some people is pretty damned callous.

The intensity of feeling might be hard for you to understand, enjoying peace and tranquility in France, but you don't go wandering into a memorial service anywhere and say "shit happens" just because you didn't know the guy.

That said, I think I grasp your underlying point. And I agree to some extent.

Sept. 11 was an incredible tragedy. And, five days after 9/11, we also saw an incredible opportunity -- when the world was united in grief and resolve with the U.S., when the line "We are all Americans!" was uttered across the globe, when an unprecedented chance was unfolding to unify rather than divide. Now, five years after 9/11, there's more uncertainty and discord than before, and the world community has gone as far as saying the U.S. is a greater threat to world peace than Iraq or Afghanistan ever was. I'm not saying it's true, but just seeing in such stark terms what we've really accomplished since 9/11 as a nation is also, frankly, a tragedy.

Life goes on, yes. A year after 9/11, the feelings were still raw. Today, we have a blockbuster movie about it, and the date in officially part of Political Rhetoric 101, cited in just about every speech from either side in an effort to make political gains. ("9/11 was an excuse to start an unwinnable war! A tragedy was exploited to go after both enemies and Americans!" or "9/11 reminds us why we cannot relent, and if you don't wave a flag, well by golly you're un-American!") Ten years from now, there'll be a 9/11 Sale at Macy's, and twenty years from now, a Twin Towers inflatable jumper for kids' parties.

But for some people, Susie, there'll be no getting over it. Whether they lost someone in the attacks, or were just deeply scarred by seeing it on TV. And I'd never be so cold as to tell them to get over it. If you don't have any interest in revisiting 9/11 and how it affected or still affects you today (if at all), you can certainly ignore this thread.

Ahem. Speaking of which...

This is what I wrote that day, and how I tried to process it a few days later. One year later, I was surprised at how much the memories still affected me. (Interestingly enough, re-reading that "year later" entry now, I find it still has relevance today, and even to Susie's view. I could've just posted that!)

I'm not going to join all the flag waving this year, and probably won't until the impact and significance of 9/11 is truly processed by time and history. But I'm no less an American, and will join with others in my own way, as this diverse nation marks the anniversary in its myriad ways.

Comment

Working...
                                X