• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adrian
    replied
    Re: GMail tips and tricks

Good News!!111!!!

I got 4 more invites!!!

Sent one to tim. I'll be giving out to mainlanders if no one responds.
    Last edited by adrian; August 26, 2004, 10:49 AM. Reason: changed amount of invites left

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

That was fast! My invite's gone. Post here if you're still looking for one, as other forum members might be able to help you out.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Originally posted by adri1456
    BTW, google just released a new batch of invites, so you might want to check your inbox.
    Well hot damn, you're right! I only got one invite (before I'd get 'em four or eight at a time!), but it's an invite nonetheless. Anyone want to play? PM me with your name and e-mail address.

That said, the Yahoo! deal - 100MB for free, 2GB for a reasonable price - is pretty good, and their spam controls are a bazillion times better.

Actually, I don't even think Gmail's turned theirs on yet! I'm pretty sure I get every single message I'm sent.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

That said the big attraction to Gmail is the 1 gig of mail storage space.

Hey Mel for $19.95 per year Yahoo will give you 2Gb of storage and 10mb of email files.

Leave a comment:

• adrian
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon
    That's cool, Adri... I'm glad you got an account, and are willing to spread the wealth here! I know Timster was looking for an invite. You might want to send him a PM and see if he still needs someone to hook him up.

A couple of months ago, I was getting invites faster than I could give them away. Now that I use Gmail daily for almost all my non-personal e-mail, I haven't seen an invite offer come up in ages. Bummer.
    I just sent him an invite.

And I made another thread (should it be deleted?) about who wants an invite. (where is that post? )

BTW, google just released a new batch of invites, so you might want to check your inbox.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

That's cool, Adri... I'm glad you got an account, and are willing to spread the wealth here! I know Timster was looking for an invite. You might want to send him a PM and see if he still needs someone to hook him up.

A couple of months ago, I was getting invites faster than I could give them away. Now that I use Gmail daily for almost all my non-personal e-mail, I haven't seen an invite offer come up in ages. Bummer.

Leave a comment:

• adrian
    replied
    Gmail Invite

I just want you guys to know, that I have a gmail invite to give out. It took me about a week to get it, and I feel that I'd spread the aloha spirit and give it to a local person.

Who wants it?

Leave a comment:

• adrian
    replied

Nevermind. I got one via an invite from another person on another forums.

But for those of you who are waiting, there's now a couple of people in Hawaii who have gmail accounts, and I'll give my first batch to you guys when I receive them.

Leave a comment:

• adrian
    replied

Tim, you and Adri above are on my waitlist, at least! Gmail users get a batch every so often... if there are any other Gmail users here with invites to spare, feel free to do some HawaiiThreads.com gifting!
    Thanks pzarquon!!!
    I need one centralized email account because right now, I can barely memorize my 8+ (I know I have more) email addresses.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Leave a comment:

• offtheh00k
    replied

can someone please h00k me up with a invite for this gmail thing plzzzz.... I would greatly appreciate it and THANK SO VERY MUCH !! my email is offt_h00k@yahoo.com, my name can be Offt Hook . THANKS AGAIN !!
    Last edited by offtheh00k; July 31, 2004, 05:31 PM. Reason: forgot to post me email to send invite to.

Leave a comment:

• Quester
    replied

For people using Firefox, there's a few nice extensions that you can add to Firefox that will add more Gmail features to the browser:

Gmail Notifier - Little browser status bar doodad to show when you have new Gmail.
    http://update.mozilla.org/extensions...=Miscellaneous

GMailCompose - Opens a G-mail compose window from a mailto: URL
    http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/gmailcompose

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Tim, you and Adri above are on my waitlist, at least! Gmail users get a batch every so often... if there are any other Gmail users here with invites to spare, feel free to do some HawaiiThreads.com gifting!

Note that to complete an invite, one needs a name (first and last) and a working e-mail address. The name can be anything, of course, as the invitee can change it to something else. But to make getting invited easier on the inviter, make sure your profile here has all the relevant information (I don't think e-mail addresses are displayed by default).

Leave a comment:

• Timster
    replied

This gmail thing is something i'd consider, if someone has an extra invite laying around drop me a PM. You'll have my undying gratitude!

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Gmail unveiled a few minor tweaks!

• Import Contacts: Move all your contacts from Yahoo! Mail, Outlook, and others to Gmail in just a few clicks. Then simply rely on our auto-complete feature to prefill all your addresses for you. Keep all your contacts in one place and keep in touch with all of them using Gmail. Learn more
    • Signature options: From the settings page, create a signature that's automatically added to the end of all your outgoing messages. Change it as often as you like, but always get the last word. Learn more
    • Safari browser support: Everybody's gone surfin'… now Mac OS X's Safari is surfing Gmail as well (versions 1.2.1 and newer).
    I think that last one will be of interest to a few folks here!

Leave a comment:

• Quester
    replied

Firefox got the thumbs up here, like in this thread on the latest round of Internet Explorer security problems. I can confirm it works with Gmail on a PC, but not on a Mac.

Interestingly, this blog post on Yahoo!'s acquisition of Oddpost notes that their interest was piqued by what Gmail does with DHTML and JavaScript as far as interface design goes (since Oddpost did similar things). While I like Gmail quite a bit, I actually find its reliance on fancy code a bit discouraging. If only it could do what it does with an interface as simple as Yahoo! Mail (or at least Yahoo! Mail circa 2002).
    I've been able to successfully use Gmail on Firefox 0.9.1 on Mac OS X 10.3.4. Which version were you trying? It may very well not work on other versions of Firefox or OS X, but it looks fine on the latest versions of both. I've also run it successfully on Safari 1.2.2 (v125.8).

Was there any particular feature that wasn't working for you?

Interestingly enough, my friend's been having difficulty running Gmail on IE 6.0 on XP with ActiveX turned off -- probably related to the fancy code you mention that Gmail employs.

I'm just happy it works on plain ol' Javascript on Firefox (on both OS X and Windows).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X