X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Super Ferry Bust!

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
    Superferry is a killer deal! Plus TSA won't be rummaging through your baggage, and you won't have to worry about your suitcase getting sent to a place where you ain't.
    Speaking of suitcase, you have to lug that thing around with you like a second carry-on on the HSF?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      Speaking of suitcase, you have to lug that thing around with you like a second carry-on on the HSF?
      Good question. I only considered taking a car along for the ride, in which case the suitcase was left in the car. Anyone know about this overlooked detail?

Comment

They have suitcase accommodation.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          There are people with petitions in blue polo shirts with Greenpeace on it.
          Are you sure they have petitions, or might they just be recruiting for people to join Greenpeace?

(Of course, the question I really wanted to ask was, how do they fit the polo shirts on the petitions? That one's for scrivener.)

Comment

Mrs. Menehune and I are headed to Maui early morning 8/8 and returning on the evening of 8/10! I'm excited 'bout this trip.

We'll cross the channel over during the day, making for a great photo opportunity and when we return, it should make for great shots of waikiki at night! Ooohhh!

I'll share when I can...
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

Originally posted by mel View Post
              When I asked former CEO John Garibaldi about the 2nd ship this past May, he said that progress on the ship at that time was about 2/3 done. So yes, another Superferry will be navigating Hawaii waters in a few months.
              Latest update on the 2nd ship. Looks like ship is 75% done and will be servicing the Big Isle in May.

Comment

I had the chance to ride the Superferry last week to Maui. Here's a review I wrote of my experience for my blog:

And so the Maui journey begins by catching the Hawaii Superferry. We’re about 20 minutes into the 3 hour journey and so far no “Aloha Spills”, apparently Aloha Spill is Superferry talk for barf. OK scratch that, a kid a few feet ahead of me is being led to the barf zone with a barf bag. Might this be the Aloha Spill I have been waiting for!

Boarding the ferry was quick and simple. No line and all we needed were our boarding passes and ID’s. They should just skip having us print out the boarding pass and just cross check our ID’s with their computers. It would be much greener that way.

We chose not to bring our car which ment that we paid just 49 bucks each way. Not bad considering a flight would have cost about 20 dollars more.
                One mistake we did make though was assuming that coolers were not allowed. They are allowed. And so now were are stuck with a warm 12 pack. Our bad.
                The fascilities are clean and the staff is quite nice and friendly. And they have an abundance of flat screen tv’s throughout the cabins playing Sportscenter. Awesome!

Update:
                OK, we are two hours into the Superferry ride. I fell asleep for about an hour. I’m gonna head to the outer deck to see what the view is like.

The outer deck on the Alakai is quite nice. The sides of the ships are a bit windy and the rear of the ship will you get you wet. If you do ride the Superferry I would suggest stepping outside once a while. First of all, it’s not as cold as the ferry interior and secondly it is a calming experience, at least for me it was. If you step out just after the ferry departs Honolulu you’ll get to see a nice view of Honolulu Harbor and Diamond Head.

The restrooms are small with just one toilet and one urinal. I could imagine lines during peak peeing periods like just after departure.

The concession stand was stocked with lots of goodies like sandwiches, musubi’s and saimin. You also get a good selection of pastries to choose from. Beware though, prices on the Superferry are at a premium. $2.50 for a musubi. Ouch!
                For those who fear getting sea sick, the Superferry offers free Ginger pills and Dramamine for purchase. I didn’t have an issue with the too and fro motion but others did. If unsure as to whether or not you’ll get sick, take the pills.

All in all the journey aboard the Superferry was a pleasant one. The downside for me was the speed of the journey, or should I say the lack of. Other than that, I’d definitely recommend it as a means traveling to and from the islands.

Comment

Are there still Superferry protesters now that interisland air travel is now double the price since the closure of Aloha Airlines?
                  Last edited by Walkoff Balk; August 6, 2008, 11:40 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    Thread Drift from me...

Costs for an escape for two trip to Maui from Oahu.

$49 each both ways = $196
                    Car both ways = $130
                    Premium Lounge upgrade ( C'mon ya wanna!) = $75.84
                    Taxes and fees(once)= $39.72
                    Total= $441.56

We're goin' Early Aug.8th @ 6:30am and leaving Maui late(second trip) @ 8pm on Aug.10th.

Of course since I drive a moped...
                    I'm renting a car from the day before and keeping it a week to enjoy afterwards too!

Hotel's set up too!

Ahhhh a romantic getaway to Maui!!!
                    What a life, eh?!
                    Both my wife and I are packed, ready to go!
                    Just need to go get the rental car in a few hours.
                    Early tomarrow morning cruise.
                    Will let you know how it went when we return.
                    Aloha!

Comment

Will let you know how it went when we return.
                      Aloha!
                      I feel that our trip to Maui was enhanced incredibly by taking the SuperFerry over flying there.

We brought much more with us than we could've by plane (had a stocked cooler too!). And comfortably bought what goodies we wished to bring home without worrying about "having too much". Of course we left all stones there. HaHa!

The ride both ways was very enjoyable.
                      Daytime sailing over... seeing Oahu, Moloka'i, Lana'i and Maui was Beautiful!
                      We returned on the late sail, leaving Maui at 8pm and getting here at 11pm last night. Awesome view of Hawaii Kai, Waikiki and Honolulu!

Try it.... you'll like it!

Comment

Last week I was with a friend who is taking the Superferry in early December--she got a phone call telling her that the Superferry was cancelling its second daily sailing. Anybody hear anything more about this?

They offered to refund her money or reschedule her on the 6:30 a.m. departure.

Comment

Daytime sailing over... seeing Oahu, Moloka'i, Lana'i and Maui was Beautiful!
                          Get photos? [/hint]
                          Welcome back!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

According to the SuperFerry web site, the second voyage of the day will end on September 2, 2008. Pending PUC approval they are planning on offerring the 2nd voyage of the day only on Friday and Sunday and even then it's limited between September 3 to November 30, 2008.

Comment

It looks like the Hawaii Superferry has delayed service to the Big Island for a year.

Hawaii Superferry this afternoon announced that it is postponing the introduction of its second ship and the start of service to the Big Island for about one year because of the uncertain economic climate.
                              Advertisement

The company said it will delay putting a second ship into service for a year when the company anticipates the financial and economic climate will be more conducive to starting the new route. Superferry had earlier anticipated the second ship arriving in the Islands in March.
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                                It looks like the Hawaii Superferry has delayed service to the Big Island for a year.

Hawaii Superferry this afternoon announced that it is postponing the introduction of its second ship and the start of service to the Big Island for about one year because of the uncertain economic climate.
                                Advertisement

The company said it will delay putting a second ship into service for a year when the company anticipates the financial and economic climate will be more conducive to starting the new route. Superferry had earlier anticipated the second ship arriving in the Islands in March.
                                that sucks!!! i'm waiting for the superferry to the big island!!!
                                stay forever young

Comment

Working...
                                X