The Harris Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Harris Legacy

I am particularly irked by his "crop circles" a.k.a. traffic roundabouts and other "traffic calming" measures.

In Foster Village, a couple of old guys complained about "all the speeding" in our neighborhood.

Without defining what "all the speeding" was, they determined that we needed several of these cement mounds in the middle of the street. Luckily, the neighbors stopped most of them, but not before Harris' highway guys got one permanently installed "as a test."

The new Harris Crop Circle doesn't slow drivers one bit. People now make sport of seeing how fast they can negotiate the bugger. Worse, one driver ended up on the lawn of the home that fronts the damn thing!

Seems that these cement thingies have a side effect from forcing drivers away from the centerline and toward the curb: It aims the car directly at the sidewalk and the bus stop! Wheeee!

We asked for 4-way stop sign. Instead, we get cement crop circles. Bleah.
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Well, at least he's not having the City build him a library, but apparently your soon-to-be ex-Mayor is now having installed brass plaques at each of the sites where his Administration did work. Hmmmm...kinda like a dog marking his territory? Where's Frank Fasi when you need him?

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln07p.html
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
        I am particularly irked by his "crop circles" a.k.a. traffic roundabouts and other "traffic calming" measures.

We asked for 4-way stop sign. Instead, we get cement crop circles. Bleah.
        We have these things in many of our neighborhoods, too. Our streets are just wide enough so that larger cars and trucks have great difficulty navigating around them, so the City in its infinite wisdom has said that it's OK for people to take shortcuts and not go all the way around them when turning. What results is spectacular crashes sometimes. We have one of those a few feet away from our front porch, and whenever we hear the sound of brakes squealing, we expect to hear the sound of shattering glass and metal crunching soon after.

The most fun traffic circles are the biiiiiig ones that are mostly on the East Coast and in Europe, where there are multiple lanes of traffic going round and round. If you don't navigate your way through these things properly, you could be riding in circles for hours.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Good god. Brass plaques? On top of that stupid book? It's almost pathetically neurotic, how badly Jeremy wants to be "remembered." Of course, he will be... but for nothing good. What a travesty. I hope the City Council passes a resolution to censure the man or something... meanwhile removing and melting down those plaques so something more useful (like paperweights) can be made out of them.

Sheesh. Remember the flap over Mayor Fasi's use of "credit signs" at construction sites? At least those were temporary wooden installations. Of course, not long after critics got 'em pulled down (they were complaining about the shaka sign, if I recall correctly), other city and state agencies were putting up their own.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Good god. Brass plaques? On top of that stupid book? It's almost pathetically neurotic, how badly Jeremy wants to be "remembered." Of course, he will be... but for nothing good. What a travesty. I hope the City Council passes a resolution to censure the man or something... meanwhile removing and melting down those plaques so something more useful (like paperweights) can be made out of them.

Sheesh. Remember the flap over Mayor Fasi's use of "credit signs" at construction sites? At least those were temporary wooden installations. Of course, not long after critics got 'em pulled down (they were complaining about the shaka sign, if I recall correctly), other city and state agencies were putting up their own.
            Hi, everyone,
            Happy New Year.
            I was going to try to convince you all to be positive.
            I saw the articles on Mayor Jeremy Harris' brass Plaques, or, should I miss spell the word to "plagues"?
            Please allow me join the club!
            You know, there are still ec. 29, 30, 31, Jan 1, 2 to 12 noon. are his.
            Are we waiting for some more surprises, from him, to thank us, the taxpayers for the new 2005?
            Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

The brass plaques are a bit too much, but I think Honolulu Hale has Fasi's name etched in stone all over the place. I walked by a school on King Street in Kalihi recently that has one of those State Improvement signs and it says Benjamin Cayetano's name on it, because he was the one I guess who started the improvement in schools budget. So I guess Lingle cant claim any of those schools even though some of these places are getting repaired under her administration.

KalihiBoy

Comment

The Harris Aftermath

Well, your former Mayor Jeremy Harris pulled another fast one on the taxpayers of the City and County of Honolulu by buying a $1.4 million GPS tracking system for City and County Parks Dept. vehicles that apparently was never used.

I really hope someone is keeping score of all the expensive projects that Harris implemented that are either obsolete or unnecessary and brings him to justice. It's a crime that Mufi now has to make up for what his predecessor managed to do in his tenure.

Miulang

Comment

Re: More of Harris' spendthrift legacy revealed

Harris wasted more cash than anyone could possibly imagine. Still, though I didn't know about this expenditure, I was thinking last night, it made a little sense.

I don't know how many times I've heard hiking and geocaching friends observe how often they'll stumble into a back lot somewhere and find a city parks worker sleeping in his truck (identifiable by the green stripe, in many cases). A few would pack up and drive off when found. Saw it myself a couple of times in the little "park" just off the Navy gate in Pearlridge, tucked somewhat under the Lunalilo Freeway eastbound ramp.

I'm pretty sure those folks weren't assigned to the parks in which they were napping! A GPS survey would probably find all sorts of vehicles where they don't belong.

Comment

The current mayor is also undoing another expensive Harris administration project... turning Punchbowl Street back to a one-way street going makai toward Ala Moana. The Ala Moana phase which started construction late last year is being reverted back to one way with on-street parking restored, expensive islands and trees removed on the stretch from Kawaihao Church to Ala Moana. The portion from City Hall up to Beretania Street will be re-striped and converted back to one way.

It is too bad that the investigators closest to the Harris campaign funding investigations have moved on to other jobs. With further digging, they probably eventually could have nailed Harris on some big time campaign funding related crimes and send him to the slammer.

Caution: This is a liberal inundation zone.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Another expensive legacy left over from the Harris administration is the BRT routes and the narrowing of Kuhio Ave. As I remember, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the wide Kuhio Ave. The former mayor spent millons to demolish this road, narrow it to vehicular traffic and instead planted those trees and stuff for the BRT which never flew. I forget how much this cost, but it was a lot.

Coupled with those 10 $750,000 eTransit busses that cannot be used to climb hills, this is another example of government waste and rape of taxpayer money perpetuated by the Harris administration.

What a sour legacy he is leaving to Honolulu taxpayers. The only thing I am happy about is that I never ever voted for the guy and never will. Those of you who voted and put Jeremy Harris into office are responsible in part for the city's fiscal disaster.

Caution: This is a liberal inundation zone.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

So wea da guy/girl (Harris) now a days? Is his cronie, Ben with him? I wonder how much the fine to accidently whack whack(slap,slap) a former Mayor in da head for the crooked and stupid spending he did. Harris Legacy? Not in my books. Theres still much more to come out and it ain't about Politics...uh, a trip that was to San Francisco, using public funds? heheheheheheh

Auntie Lynn knows plenty. Might not be intellegent...but knows plenty.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                          What a sour legacy he is leaving to Honolulu taxpayers. The only thing I am happy about is that I never ever voted for the guy and never will. Those of you who voted and put Jeremy Harris into office are responsible in part for the city's fiscal disaster.
                          yea man. hated that creep from day one.
                          Saw that travesty; "The renaissance of Honolulu" at Costco.
                          Selling for 12.95.
                          Just 95 cents below what they said it cost to print!

looking at this piece of junk, many printers would have charged no more than 3 or 4 bucks per unit total for the job. But NOOOOO harris has gotta find a printer that charges 12 bux per book.
                          peruse the volume and you witness one of the ugliest pieces of junk ever printed. Terrible layout. Ugly pictures and typestyle. Worst prose ever. Sappy, drippy overly wordy self aggrandizing bullhash, typical of the harris admin and governmentspeak. Too many of the pics show "what could be". ('this is the way dillingham plaza could look with 'revitalization') What's the point of that!?
                          This crap looks like an interoffice publication whipped up quickly with no aesthetic sense, as a little vanity publication. It is a total embarrassment!

http://starbulletin.com/2005/03/03/news/story2.html
                          Last edited by mokunui; March 12, 2005, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Well, here's the latest scorecard of expensive projects left over from the Harris administration that Mufi is cancelling. So far, the total amount saved is over $12 million.

Miulang

Comment

and today, Joe Moore goes in depth and tells us Mufi announced he will attempt to reverse some of the stupid so called "beautification" measures implemented by that crook Harris; on Kuhio and Ala Wai blvd; (and LHR) those newly planted trees are proving to be a hazard for many reasons, and may be pulled...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                                and those newly planted trees are proving to be a hazard for many reasons, and may be pulled.
                                Apparently the branches from those trees make it impossible for the larger fire engines to turn some corners, and other branches are blocking the units that allow emergency vehicles to change the traffic signals.
                                To quote Homer: "DOH!"

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X