The Harris Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More of Harris' spendthrift legacy revealed

thank god the brass plaque makers were behind schedule; otherwise, Mufi would find himself prying plaques with a crowbar off each of these Kuhio median trees!

Comment

Originally posted by mokunui
      Saw that travesty; "The renaissance of Honolulu" at Costco.
      Selling for 12.95.
      Just 95 cents below what they said it cost to print!

correction. It turns out, it actually costs US, the taxpayers,... $21.60 to produce each of these books!
      and costco has them in their 'remainder pile' for twelve ninety five!
      have we been screwed or what?!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        correction. It turns out, it actually costs US, the taxpayers,... $21.60 to produce each of these books!
        and costco has them in their 'remainder pile' for twelve ninety five!
        have we been screwed or what?!
        We'll see how ethical your Corporate Counsel, and City Council are, since the Corporate Council and City Ethics Commission are already conducting investigations of this travesty and your City Council just voted to authorize the Budget Committee to investigate the appropriateness of using taxpayer money to fund the vanity publication. If Harris isn't nailed for this one, then in the next election think hard about changing the cast of characters in your City Council.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          If Harris isn't nailed for this one, then in the next election think hard about changing the cast of characters in your City Council.

Miulang

IF... harris is not nailed, I will seriously question the existence of a christian god.

Comment

Honolulu's dirty laundry aired nationally

Well, the budget woes of Honolulu have made it to the national wirepresses. Mufi told reporters that your former Mayor had a "credit card mentality" and now the county is in the hole some $3 billion. I wanna know who was watching the henhouse while Jeremy played the old shell game for 10 years?

Wonder if prospective tourists who might read this story will think that Honolulu is not a paradise but a place where the sewers leak and cracked sidwalks abound?

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; April 10, 2005, 12:41 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

to kimo

dude, you wrote, "IF... harris is not nailed, I will seriously question the existence of a christian god."

i don't wanna be cynical, but that slimeball will probably never held accountable for his actions (at least in this lifetime). i'm not a religious guy but i wouldn't equate harris going scottfree with the nonexistence of a supreme being. what harris did is peanuts compared to what bush is doing to the country and to the world. if you wanna make a connection between god and the existence of evil, i'd forget harris and talk about bush.

sigh....
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Re: to kimo

Originally posted by shaveice
                you wrote, "IF... harris is not nailed, I will seriously question the existence of a christian god."

i'm not a religious guy but i wouldn't equate harris going scottfree with the nonexistence of a supreme being.
                I didnt say a supreme being. i said christian god.
                and since i am not a christian, I don't equate supreme being with a christian god. neither, nor vice versa.

it was basically a cynical reference to politics as well as an oblique reference to the christian trend to whine:

"why does god make bad things happen to good people?!..."

if you wanna make a connection between god and the existence of evil...
                ...then i would haveta start a new thread under a different heading, I suppose.

and not being christian, of course, I don't see life at either good/evil. black/white. with a big chasm separating the two.

god is evil. dog is live.
                My dog is an awesome god.

more later.
                Last edited by kimo55; April 10, 2005, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I rebuke you in the blood and name of Jesus Christ!

As for Harris...he will eventually see his day his court. Only a matter of time.

Lynn Vasquez
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

you see, that is one of the fallacies promulgated by the church.
                    and is one of the vanities, one of the many conceits of the human ego.
                    That the finite mind can to any degree, understand the infinite.
                    and the concept of a 'supreme being' is just that. A concept. and the finite mind must conceptualize things to understand it. But this in no way allows to any degree an understanding of the infinite. which is the mileu of the supposed '"supreme being".
                    To create an image of "the supreme being" makes it, by nature, NOT supreme.
                    so, with mythology and impetus supplied by the great church that needs to retain control over the populace, the simple brain plays the "deification game" whereby we hold up a personage and deify him. or her.
                    Because the masses NEED a focal point for their worship. If it is too nebulous, they lose direction, faith and interest.
                    But this is still, at its basest level, personality cult.
                    thinkabouddit.
                    Last edited by kimo55; April 10, 2005, 06:43 PM.

Comment

to kimo

eh braddah, you always faking me out! firs, u said you wuz da bugga in the middle! now you tell me that u wuzn't serious! wuzn't wuz!!!! ha! ha!
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I'm shocked! Where's all the Democrats coming to Harris' aid? Or is the policy: Silence is the best policy? If he were a Republican oh boy them Dems would have a field day.

But to balance this post...as a Republican I was always there in the parade lines waving to our beloved (and yes lots of people had lots of great things to say...where are they now?) then Mayor Harris: Hey Mayor Harris...Thanks for all the movies! And that was regarding Sunset on the Beach.

Expensive but it did make for a great family outing enjoying our great weather. My wife would always remark how the tourists must feel sitting on the sand in Waikiki Beach at night under the stars watching a movie on the big screen. Can't get any better than that.

Thank you Mayor Harris for those wonderful Kodak moments for my family albeit it cost me as a taxpayer a bundle, it was worth it. Sometimes you just gotta splurge in the face of mounting bills just to feel good for that moment.

I know there is a need for basic services, however as a taxpayer, it felt great knowing the Mayor of Honolulu spent the money to benefit those who paid into it for our enjoyment as we the gap group could never qualify for many of the entitlements we paid into.

And that's from a Republican
                        Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 11, 2005, 09:39 AM.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          I'm shocked! Where's all the Democrats coming to Harris' aid? Or is the policy: Silence is the best policy? If he were a Republican oh boy them Dems would have a field day.
                          Eh Craig, don't you remember? The mayor's office is non-partisan!

Comment

Re: The Harris Legacy

Did anyone catch Chad Blair's report on HPR earlier this week? They caught Jeremy Harris being interviewed on Nevada Public Radio, as he was there for a planners' meeting to tell tall tales about how he saved Honolulu from the brink of mediocrity. The man is building a second career doing a speaking tour, where he tells everyone else how great he was for the city... but apparently dares not do so in Hawaii.

Just the excerpts would probably make your blood boil. He snarked that "a city is more than sidewalks and sewers," and waxed poetic with terms like "vision" and "architect." He actually went off about replacing the streetlights in Waikiki with nice ones with flower planters. He dinged everyone in Honolulu for not seeing the light when it comes to light rail... despite the fact that his mass transit advocacy was half-hearted at best and focused mainly on overpriced buses (and fancy paint) and that ridiculous BRT plan.

Basically, he continues to live in a fantasy land where he left behind a gem, and not a crumbling mess, wallowing in debt, with only a few pretty baubles to distract us. That he can give speeches like this even after a nationally circulated wire story about Honolulu's debt load is the peak of ridiculousness.

Comment

So the City's Corporate Counsel found that that white elephant book that your ex-Mayor had published didn't violate any city procurement regulations? Dang it. I hope your ethics commission finds something wrong with the deal though. What a terrible waste of City money for something that apparently wasn't supposed to make money anyway because it was going to be used mainly as a "gift" for dignitaries.

Miulang

Comment

Heh. Now I know why the State has to scrap that $1.5 million GPS satellite system that was installed in Parks Dept. trucks...they didn't put radios into Park Dept cars so workers could contact the nearest truck! How'd they expect the drivers of the trucks to know where they were needed? Mental telepathy? Coconut wireless? tin cans tied together with strings? Maybe they can be redeployed to the City ambulances and fire engines, but the technology is now 4 years old.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X