• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooser on Daily Kos

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/7/5/222710/3487

Comment

2nd Congressional District elections

Sure is going to be an interesting horserace for the replacement for Ed Case in the 2nd Congressional District. So many Democrats! And ALL of them saying they favored doing more for the kanaka maoli!

"...Most support legislation that would, at least, stave off legal challenges to the millions of government dollars that go to health, education and other assistance programs aimed at Hawaiians.

Some believe it may be time to re-evaluate the long-stalled Native Hawaiian Government Reorganization Act, dubbed the Akaka bill after its chief sponsor, U.S. Sen. Daniel K. Akaka, D-Hawai'i. First proposed six years ago, the bill sought eventual Hawaiian federal recognition and self-government rights. Despite the tenacious efforts of many of Hawai'i's political leaders, a bid to bring the bill to the Senate floor for debate was rejected last month. But one candidate maintains that issues such as federal recognition should be addressed by Hawai'i voters in a referendum.

Political observers tracking Native Hawaiian issues are not surprised by the support expressed by the candidates for federal recognition and their defense of Hawaiian programs...."

Voters living outside of Honolulu proper will really need to look at all the candidates' responses on this issue and others. It really would be nice if the 2nd District seat went to a candidate from the Neighbor Islands, but I think Hooser is the only one who doesn't live on Oahu. It's time the Neighbor Island voters (who comprise the bulk of the voters in the 2nd District) elect someone who knows about Neighbor Island issues and who actually lives on one of the Neighbor Islands.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Ed Case's congressional seat

Originally Posted by Miulang
        David Kawananakoa (1868-1908)
        Edward D. Kawananakoa
        Abigail Kawananakoa (1882-1945) or (rival) Lydia Kawananakoa
        Edward A. Kawananakoa (1924-1997) or (rival) Kinoike Kekaulike Kawananakoa
        Quentin Kawananakoa (1961-Present) "

So of the current lineage, it looks like Quentin is it...

Miulang
        Originally posted by Jonah K
        Not exactly. However, he's the only one that's running for public office. The rest of the bunch are currently content to live relatively quiet existences.
        ----------
        Can't help it, but did anyone ever get to read a copy of Billie Beamer's
        unbelievable expose of the Kawananakoa family? Called... The Royal Torch? Or something like that, most copies were bought by K's and printing was small. A must read if you're interested in this ohana history.

Two murders, one conviction, a little insanity and tendency toward
        nervous breakdowns, not unlike the Damon blood line, but the last
        big K's story is incredible and true. Involves a well known ex HPD turned syndicate heavy and best friend to another ex cop who becomes governor, then a span of decades later and a late night call from a panicked heiress who has accidentally pushed her female lover into a swimming pool
        (whoops empty) and a story that never reaches the press. All this and
        more on this family's legacy including the fact that Quentin's name is
        not really Kawananakoa. This side of the family took the name
        (wouldn't you?) in spite of this line's penchant for (whoops again) drunken
        disorderliness that leads to accidental blugeoning of not one but two
        women... more than you may have wanted to know, guaranteed.
        Sorry about crowding the Ed Case thread but...

Comment

I think Quentin has "redeemed" himself. What his family did in the past is something he cannot change; therefore, why try to stir up trouble? If there weren't so many people who support his candidacy today, do you really think he would be running for public office again?

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by bcliquot
            Can't help it, but did anyone ever get to read a copy of Billie Beamer's
            unbelievable expose of the Kawananakoa family? Called... The Royal Torch? Or something like that, most copies were bought by K's and printing was small. A must read if you're interested in this ohana history.

Two murders, one conviction, a little insanity and tendency toward
            nervous breakdowns, not unlike the Damon blood line, but the last
            big K's story is incredible and true. Involves a well known ex HPD turned syndicate heavy and best friend to another ex cop who becomes governor, then a span of decades later and a late night call from a panicked heiress who has accidentally pushed her female lover into a swimming pool
            (whoops empty) and a story that never reaches the press. All this and
            more on this family's legacy including the fact that Quentin's name is
            not really Kawananakoa. This side of the family took the name
            (wouldn't you?) in spite of this line's penchant for (whoops again) drunken
            disorderliness that leads to accidental blugeoning of not one but two
            women... more than you may have wanted to know, guaranteed.
            Sorry about crowding the Ed Case thread but...
            Oh the horror! Sometimes, the family name of "Lambert" is useful when one wants to be low-key. I'm surprised that someone hasn't mentioned that Quentin is actually a second-generation Californian....
            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

The Race to Replace Case

Adding a poll to this 2nd Congressional District thread. Not included in the poll, due to the ten-choice limit, are Hanalei Aipoalani (D-Waianae), Robert Wilcox (N-Lahaina), and Joe Zuiker (D-Honolulu).

Comment

Re: The Race to Replace Case

Has anyone else seen the Menor television ad? I had to restrain the dearly beloved from hurling a projectile at the screen when his mug showed up. Needless to say, no votes for Menor in our house.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                  Has anyone else seen the Menor television ad? I had to restrain the dearly beloved from hurling a projectile at the screen when his mug showed up. Needless to say, no votes for Menor in our house.
                  Menor is actually a fairly astute politician. His one major flub was the gas cap. In time, any competent lawmaker can recover from something like that. Unfortunately for him, in a race this crowded, someone will bring it up. Then, it’s all over for Ronnie. Say buh-bye.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

I'm almost certain the only issue people will associate, first and foremost, with Menor will be the gas cap, and as you can imagine, most folks didn't think too kindly of the plan.

He's my senator, but I didn't even recognize him when I started seeing his ads. Maybe it was the make-up or overdone "cozy chat" lighting, but as he jabbered on and on, I was like, "Who is that?" I figured that unless the candidate was Dan Inouye or something, they should have his name, TV-news style, up on screen from the beginning.

Glossyp's response, though, makes me think it was a deliberate omission. 'Cause I'm pretty sure lots of folks would have tuned out his little speech the moment they saw "Ron Menor" on screen.

Then again, I can't remember a thing he said, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                      Voting for someone only because of his ethnicity is just plain stupid. But voters have done it often. The idea that Quentin speaks for all Hawaiians just 'cause he's one of them is like the idea that I agree with Stan Koki, or Marcus Oshiro, or Dennis Arakaki, or Maile Shimabukuro, just because they're Okinawan like me.

Glen I'm glad YOU said that. Typical Nisei Japanese tend to vote that way. But as our Nisei parents pass on so will the support for most of our Democratic leaders such as Dan Inouye.

As for Quentin, when John Waihee ran for Governor, lots of Hawaiians voted for him precisely because of his ethnicity. He didn't do much for his race during his term. Then there was Jeremy Harris who got a lot of Filipino votes presumably because of the name of his wife (which was a popular Filipina name). Was she Filipina? I don't know.

Stupid as it sounds, sadly it is the way some people vote.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        Glen I'm glad YOU said that. Typical Nisei Japanese tend to vote that way. But as our Nisei parents pass on so will the support for most of our Democratic leaders such as Dan Inouye.

As for Quentin, when John Waihee ran for Governor, lots of Hawaiians voted for him precisely because of his ethnicity. He didn't do much for his race during his term. Then there was Jeremy Harris who got a lot of Filipino votes presumably because of the name of his wife (which was a popular Filipina name). Was she Filipina? I don't know.

Stupid as it sounds, sadly it is the way some people vote.
                        for the record, I am not the lone vote for Clayton Hee.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                          for the record, I am not the lone vote for Clayton Hee.

Nor am I.

My vote is going to Brian Schatz. Brian is young (Compared to his opponents) but I know his concern for the State is genuine. Too many people get into office and represent themselves rather than their constiuency. If Brian Schatz is elected into office, I've no doubt that he'll serve the residents of the 2nd Congressional district very well.
                          Last edited by Keanu; August 2, 2006, 03:49 PM.

Comment

It is interesting to see Brian Schatz leading in our hawaiithreads poll. I’m willing to bet it’s the only poll he’ll ever lead at any point in the ’06 Congressional race. I did vote (in the poll that is). I didn’t vote for him. He may have good intentions. Based on what I’ve seen and my personal interaction with him, he’s just too much of a political opportunist groveling for another photo op. If he was a woman, he’d be a young Linda Lingle without the outer island or minority “underdog” party distinction. And with considerably less accomplishments.

Maybe the capitol groupies know better. Just calling it as I see it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

I took part in the Poll too. I not going tell who I voted foa!

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                                It is interesting to see Brian Schatz leading in our hawaiithreads poll. I’m willing to bet it’s the only poll he’ll ever lead at any point in the ’06 Congressional race. I did vote (in the poll that is). I didn’t vote for him. He may have good intentions. Based on what I’ve seen and my personal interaction with him, he’s just too much of a political opportunist groveling for another photo op. If he was a woman, he’d be a young Linda Lingle without the outer island or minority “underdog” party distinction. And with considerably less accomplishments.

Maybe the capitol groupies know better. Just calling it as I see it.
                                I live in the 25th District which Brian currently represents. I've had my own "interactions" with him. We finally shook hands & made nice after he apologized to me for a very uncalled for remark he made to me during one of his campaigns. But, I certainly don't support his run for congress. He needs a lot more "seasoning" before he is ready to take on Congress! Maybe this will be a learning experience for him - I hope so because he does have many good qualities and he has done a decent job as a representative for this district. I personally think he should have used his ambition in a little more reasonable manner & run for state senate first. This run for congress in a very crowded field of much more experienced candidates can use up a lot of political "good will" that he has earned during his time as a state rep. He may need that good will in his next endeavors. and I'm sure he will be back in politics in a couple of years.

However, since I don't reside in the 2nd District - I can't vote for any of them so this whole discussion is moot. However, if I COULD vote, it would be for Maizie Hirono.

as a side remark regarding Quentin Kawananakoa - he is not considered the "heir" of the family. That honor belongs to his older brother, David. If you ever see any of the events at `Iolani Palace, you will see that David is the one honored - not Quentin.

Fran
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X