Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Housing Bubble - Not Yet

Whatever, why don't you take your "chicken little, sky is falling"
    prognostications and shove them up where the sun don't shine.
    It seems you want Hawaii to turn back when all the haoles left
    and all the development dissapeared...sorry thats not possible.
    Never met such a maladjusted individual as you who thinks only
    bad things will happen.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

>>Whatever, why don't you take your "chicken little, sky is falling"
      prognostications and shove them up where the sun don't shine.
      It seems you want Hawaii to turn back when all the haoles left
      and all the development dissapeared...sorry thats not possible.
      Never met such a maladjusted individual as you who thinks only
      bad things will happen.<<

Hmmm... I still hope for a chicken little "prognostication" and I'm as haole as the day is long. Of course my family has been here since the 1800s, but whatever. This whole real estate thing is out of control and is in dire need of getting shut down. I have reason to believe that it will happen soon enough...

Seems you're a little scared of something...

And yes, bad things will often eventually happen to incredibly greedy people...

Development doesn't have to ruin peoples' lives, doesn't have to make people live on the beach... greed makes that happen...

Comment

It's the lack of development of the proper size and price that keeps people on the beach. Activism certainly promotes homelessness.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by dick
          Seems you're a little scared of something...
          Why should I be scared ? I don't own a home, I live with my parents and rent,
          I'm just tired of people who wistfully insist that the sky is falling. Don't any of
          you realize that Construction, Real Estate, Military and Tourism are the primary
          economic forces here. If the real estate market tanks it will be back to the 10%
          unemployment rate (at least here on the Big Island) which it was at in the mid
          1990s. See I can play that game too, doing chicken little sky is falling.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

I don't know abut West Hawaii but here on the East side of the Big Island, housing prices have begun to drop considerably. One house in Keaau which was listed for over $660,000 about four months ago has been relisted (under a different broker) for around $450,000. That's a major drop in such a short time period. I think the house was overpriced in the first place however.

But I see homes here settling in at under $400,000 for a spec home where it was hovering above it just a few months ago and the prices seem to be dropping gradually.

Deflating yes, it'll probably be a soft bubble for a while.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
              Why should I be scared ? I don't own a home, I live with my parents and rent, I'm just tired of people who wistfully insist that the sky is falling. Don't any of you realize that Construction, Real Estate, Military and Tourism are the primary economic forces here. If the real estate market tanks it will be back to the 10% unemployment rate (at least here on the Big Island) which it was at in the mid 1990s. See I can play that game too, doing chicken little sky is falling.
              People lived in these islands for thousands of years without any of those economic forces. No hunger. I am not suggesting that those economic factors don't all make important contributions to modern life, but real Hawaiians will survive, even happily, for another 2000 years should the economy slow a little.
              Originally posted by timkona
              It's the lack of development of the proper size and price that keeps people on the beach. Activism certainly promotes homelessness.
              Hawaiians on the beach are not homeless, they are houseless. (mahalo bulaia)

Hawaiians are actualy most at home when on the beach.

How come when Haoles own the property on the beach they are to be admired for their incredible ownership.

When Asians buy $20 camping permit to camp and fish on the beach, they are to be envied for such an attractive vacation.

But when Hawaiians live on the beach, they are pitied.

For me? I'm jealous. I wish I could live on the beach.

Comment

Funny how I never mentioned race when speaking of those living on the beach or who might be houseless.

Circumstances are what they are, regardless of race.

Please forgive me for being anti-racist.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                  Look at island economies around the world. Some factors that are shared in common:

• There is a finite amount of land available for foreign investment.

• Land ownership of the other lands are reserved for their citizenry and/or those born there.

These two points hinder Hawai'i. Because of the U.S.' foreign investment and immigration policies, that beach, regardless of how dense its built up (hotel, condo, condotel, they bend to the same laws of physics), is still owned by a majority of corporations (and people) who spec here, but don't live here. If Joe Blow gets off a plane and heads straight to the Hilton, his charges on his credit card goes straight to holding companies in New York, Germany, someplace else than Hawai'i. How many revolutions does that tourist dollar enjoy here?

Those little isles that pepper the east coast suffer from the same issues. Everyone wants a piece of the coast, and sand goes to the highest bidder. Unchecked consumption leads to a wealthy class having land ownership, and a dwindling working class who cannot afford to live there.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                    People lived in these islands for thousands of years without any of those economic forces. No hunger. I am not suggesting that those economic factors don't all make important contributions to modern life, but real Hawaiians will survive, even happily, for another 2000 years should the economy slow a little.
                    Well as far as I can read into what you've written, the whole economy here
                    will collapse, not just slow a little. Which won't benefit working stiffs like myself
                    or all working people living in Hawaii, including yourself.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                      Well as far as I can read into what you've written, the whole economy here
                      will collapse, not just slow a little. Which won't benefit working stiffs like myself
                      or all working people living in Hawaii, including yourself.
                      Start growing some of your own food, so at least you'll feel like you're in control of SOMETHING. Working the land is very therapeutic.

Many of the people who live on the beach are just houseless, as Kam says (via Bulaia). But that doesn't mean they don't have a sense of community or of compassion for others. And in some places (like on Molokai), people have houses but no jobs. They own the land but can't survive...so they have to go work for "the man" or sell their land to Mainland millionaires. That is the saddest part of it all.

Miulang
                      Last edited by Miulang; July 11, 2006, 10:31 AM.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Land ownership of the other lands are reserved for their citizenry and/or those born there.

My daughter was born here !! Wonderful.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                          Unchecked consumption leads to a wealthy class having land ownership, and a dwindling working class who cannot afford to live there.
                          Increase the property tax rates on those that own but are not residents or Hawaii corporations.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                            Increase the property tax rates on those that own but are not residents or Hawaii corporations.
                            This could have been done 50 years ago by the Plantation Democrats.
                            Quadruple property tax rates (or whatever it takes to offset loss) and increase the standard deduction to 100K (or as much as possible to offset gain) so that anyone with an AGI under 100K pays no state income tax.

Now, since land is the scarcity in Hawaii and if the income to the state would be the same, why do you think the Plantation Democrats have never done this???

Texas is an example of a state with no income tax but relatively high property taxes. They survive.

Comment

This could have been done 50 years ago by the Plantation Democrats.
                              Quadruple property tax rates (or whatever it takes to offset loss) and increase the standard deduction to 100K (or as much as possible to offset gain) so that anyone with an AGI under 100K pays no state income tax.

Now, since land is the scarcity in Hawaii and if the income to the state would be the same, why do you think the Plantation Democrats have never done this???

Texas is an example of a state with no income tax but relatively high property taxes. They survive.
                              Why do you think? I'm all ears.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Are you out of your mind. Our property taxes are already outrageously high
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X