• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Housing Bubble - Not Yet

Originally posted by Konaguy
    Are you out of your mind. Our property taxes are already outrageously high

Actually no, I'm not out of my mind.

According to most sources I've researched, Hawaii is in the bottom 25% for property taxes collected per capita.

This site says 44th.
    http://www.ncsl.org/programs/fiscal/cb02proptrank.htm

Either way, it is common knowledge that while Hawaii is one of if not the worst tax state in the country, property taxes are relatively low. This in a state where property is a huge problem.

Back to my question, why?

If this discussion with all these facts and things are too difficult Konaguy, there are other threads on this site that are a little easier to follow.

Comment

Money Magazine did a similar analysis for 2005. Hawai'i is #4 in total taxes, but not even in the top 5 for largest property tax hit. I think the huge amount the Pentagon spends in Hawai'i is helping to offset what would be an even more gloomy picture in Hawai'i.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; July 11, 2006, 06:27 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
        If this discussion with all these facts and things are too difficult Konaguy, there are other threads on this site that are a little easier to follow.
        Whatever You pull statistics out your ass just to make your doom and gloom prognostications look better.

Originally posted by Miulang
        Money Magazine did a similar analysis for 2005. Hawai'i is #4 in total taxes, but not even in the top 5 for largest property tax hit. I think the huge amount the Pentagon spends in Hawai'i is helping to offset what would be an even more gloomy picture in Hawai'i.
        Gloomy picture ? I'm a bit currently Hawaii's economy is doing well. But things can change, as I'm willing to bet our over dependance on construction,military, tourism and real estate will bite us in our ass. You can bank on that.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Whatever You pull statistics out your ass just to make your doom and gloom prognostications look better.

The site I referenced was the National Association of State Legislatures. Not exactly a fringe BS website source.

PS: My ass looks a lot better than that group but I do trust their numbers more than I trust you juvenile emotional immaturity.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea

PS: My ass looks a lot better than that group but I do trust their numbers more than I trust you juvenile emotional immaturity.

juvenile emotional immaturity...Whatever...

You are the immature one, acting like "chicken little sky is falling."
            Why in the F--- worry about it until it happens ? Do you have
            a crystal ball and a psychic ?
            So bite me...jacka---
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Are you out of your mind. Our property taxes are already outrageously high
              If we're talking non-residents you should not be impacted.

Do you consider home ownership by non-residents part of the problem with affordable housing?
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                Do you consider home ownership by non-residents part of the problem with affordable housing?
                Yes absolutely. The construction of these million dollar homes in these gated
                subdivisions are a direct cause why there is not afforable housing here. Plus
                the onerus government bureaucracy and poor business climate are other reasons
                why there is no afforable housing.

There is a direct connection in my opinion to all this drug abuse,family member abuse due to the lack afforable housing. People have to work multiple jobs
                to afford the high cost of living to live here. Thus they have less time to spend
                with their families. We've created a generation of lachkey kids because of the
                lack of afforable housing.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

First of all, Konaguy, Hawaii Property Taxes are notoriously low. That's just the balls facts of it. So hush. Property Tax in Hawaii is possibly the ONLY bargain you can find in Hawaii.

Affordable Housing has been effectively squashed by anti-growth sentiment rooted in the Politics of NO. You and I both know that here in Kona. You can't blame the developers for building low-density, 1 acre homesites like Hokulia, when every high-density development that might promote affordability gets shot down at the public hearings by folks who are ignorant of the true damage that they cause by their activism.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

juvenile emotional immaturity...Whatever...

You are the immature one, acting like "chicken little sky is falling."
                    Why in the F--- worry about it until it happens ? Do you have
                    a crystal ball and a psychic ?
                    So bite me...jacka---

Freakout rants like the above make me wonder what you're afraid of...

Could it be opinions differing from yours?

That diatribe really makes me want to try and understand your point of view...
                    Last edited by dick; July 11, 2006, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                      Freakout rants like the above make me wonder what you're afraid of...

Could it be opinions differing from yours?

That diatribe really makes me want to try and understand your point of view...
                      Most times I try to keep my composure, but in cases where I read peoples
                      posts who preach fear mongering it really irritates the crap out of me.
                      It is my achilles heal unfortunately.

What makes it worse is, he doesn't get the fact that if the economy does
                      a tailspin real people will be affected. We are simply too dependant on
                      tourism,construction,real estate and the military.

I have no hidden agenda, I'm just a normal working stiff who cannot afford
                      a house here in Hawaii.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Most times I try to keep my composure, but in cases where I read peoples posts who preach fear mongering it really irritates the crap out of me. It is my achilles heal unfortunately.
                        Aaron, you have a lot to contribute, but lately, you seem to be easily pushed into angry tailspins, which get you and the topic derailed. (Go through your own recent posts and see how many of them end up written with too much heat.)

Do your blood-pressure a favor - don't reply quickly to posts that anger you. Give yourself time to cool down a bit, and let logic overcome emotion. You'll write wiser posts that avoid name-calling, you'll come off looking better, you will make your points clearer, and we'll all be the better for it. Thanks.

Comment

Like Leo Lakio said...I think most of us on this message board are intelligent folks (hopefully I'm one of them ) but we do have those emotional buttons that get pressed on (Hi Scrivener) and we really should stay focused on the thread topic instead of getting all upset over attitudes.

In defense for Aaron though, some of us may have higher intelligence than others however it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that there is a problem. You can take aim at it intellectually or emotionally. Sometimes knowledge works, but then so can compassion for results thru emotion.

Look at Cindy Sheehan. Her compassion against the Iraq war has lit the fire under those more intelligent than her. Does she know everything? Well if she did I'm sure her attitude would be different. But her compassion allowed those who did know more to speak out. In this case emotion led to intelligent awareness.

Aaron has a vision just like all of us instead of arguing about it we should be looking at the substance behind it and really attempt to find common ground to develop a working strategy. In other words make lemon aide out of lemons.

Everyone has gripes, but it's how you turn those gripes into working solutions, bickering about it and expounding intelligent "big body" remarks only intimidates and doesn't foster productive and intelligent replies, it only puts the receiver in a defensive posture and then nothing get's accomplished.

Now can we get back OT?
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

*sigh* I think the best thing, which I should've done awhile back, was put
                            the people who get my ire up on ignore. Which I'm going to do right now..
                            It doesn't benefit me to get all flustered and looking like an idiot.

Mahalo, Craig for such and insightful and timely comments.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

juvenile emotional immaturityDo you have
                              a crystal ball and a psychic? So bite me...jacka---
                              Not really psychic, jussssss supah smat! Oh, forget, you cannot read this anymore.

Back to topic.

Why are Hawaii's property taxes some of the lowest in the country when if there is anything that should be regulated via taxation, one would think it would be property.

I don't have the answer. I don't know the answer or answers. I have my own theory but even it doesn't make total sense.

Comment

Low property taxes in Hawaii because the BOE is funded by the State in Hawaii. In many other localities, school funding is coming from a much more local source, that is funded directly by property tax.

Also cuz property tax is quite a regressive tax. The poorest, on the choicest lands, have diffuculty paying for their beautiful aina if the tax rates follow the prices paid for land by new, rich neighbors movin in, and bidding up the land.

There's a couple more real good reasons, from large landowner power, to social resistance to changing the status quo, but the fact is that Hawaii Property Tax is rather low.

Maybe that's why County Level government is always screaming poormouth.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                                X