Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    And if the cops ever find the butthead who dropped a cigarette butt in the forests on Haleakala and caused precious native flora and fauna to go up in a forest fire that took days to extinguish, then I hope they sue that person up the ying yang for what it cost to fight that fire and to try to restore Polipoli Springs campground back to the way it was. Talk about selfish...

Miulang
    How are they so certain it was that? Most brush fires on oahu tend to be arson and odds are the arsonist is a non-smoker. I believe fireworks are number two, but I'm not out to ban 'em.

Comment

• Re: Roflmao!

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
      And it should be up to a business owner to decide whether or not their establishment is a "designated area," NOT the governement.
      Although I'm for the smoking ban, I have to agree with PJ and AlohaKine on this one, that it really should be up to the business owner to decide AT ALL whether to allow smoking or not in their establishment.

The only concern is for the employees. By allowing smoking, you introduce a hazardous environment in the workplace. Like the Navy shipyard and asbestos. By allowing workers to be subjected to those substances it places that employer in a position of liability.

I would assume that the criteria for employment would then be a waiver to be signed by the employee noting that they are working in a hazardous environment and it's their choice to work there and no action against the employer shall be made regarding chronic illness as a result of being exposed to those known substances.

That's fair. The main objective is to limit smoking to the confines of that establishment so as to protect the rest of society from it's inherent dangers. Like a race track where people can race their cars at breakneck speeds and limit injury and death to themselves without endangering the public, so to can bars allow smoking and limit second-hand smoke to smokers only.

But then I guess patrons at bars that allow smoking will have to sign waivers and show proof of health insurance before being allowed in to remove the bar's owner of liability just as a racer must sign a liability waiver and show car insurance to protect the race track's owner.

Because you know in this tort crazy society of ours, with a law in effect and a bar allowing smoking, some guy dying of lung cancer can put the blame on the bar owner for not letting him know that all that smoke in his establishment was going to kill him. Okay so at the entrance of the bar you gotta put a warning/caution sign from the Surgeon General stating the effects of smoking just as it's on every pack of smokes.

Okay is that fair?
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Ah yes, there was a rally at the capitol today, people were honking in support and we had many new people join the cause. Slom and Meyer came down to give their support and approval.

Time to "ban the ban". Hawaii Smokers Alliance grows once more.

Comment

• Re: Roflmao!

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          I would assume that the criteria for employment would then be a waiver to be signed by the employee noting that they are working in a hazardous environment and it's their choice to work there and no action against the employer shall be made regarding chronic illness as a result of being exposed to those known substances.
          Ah, but how long before we hear of a sob story of someone in poor health who was forced to work in the bar because that was the only employment he/she could get at the time? Sure, unemployment is very low NOW. It may not stay that way.

Comment

Apparently there was a big confrontation late yesterday after the rally at the Statehouse. I happened to be watching KGMB’s newscast at 10pm and saw video of it (didn’t see anything in either of today’s newspapers).
            Several of the folks had gone to O’Toole’s after the rally, trailed (stalked?) by Deborah Zysman, the director of the Coalition For A Tobacco Free Hawaii. The video footage showed Zysman calling the police and demanding in a whiny, petulant voice, that the police come deal with people smoking. (As if our cops don’t have anything better to do, like dealing with, you know, real CRIMES and real criminals!) No, Whiner Zysman called the cops and said "I'm at O'Toole's downtown and I would just like to report that they are allowing smoking indoors at the bar."
            Whiner Zysman later went on to insist that she’s going to take the matter to court! (As if our courts and judges and staff don’t have anything better to do, like dealing with, you know, real CRIMES and real criminals!) No, Whiner Zysman is going to waste all of our tax dollars and waste the time of the police and the judicial system.
            SHEESH!!!
            You can find the story at this link on KGMB but I’m not sure if the video is there too.
            I hope the video is available so you can all see how utterly foolish Whiner Zysman looked.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Apparently there was a big confrontation late yesterday after the rally at the Statehouse. I happened to be watching KGMB’s newscast at 10pm and saw video of it (didn’t see anything in either of today’s newspapers).
              Several of the folks had gone to O’Toole’s after the rally, trailed (stalked?) by Deborah Zysman, the director of the Coalition For A Tobacco Free Hawaii. The video footage showed Zysman calling the police and demanding in a whiny, petulant voice, that the police come deal with people smoking. (As if our cops don’t have anything better to do, like dealing with, you know, real CRIMES and real criminals!) No, Whiner Zysman called the cops and said "I'm at O'Toole's downtown and I would just like to report that they are allowing smoking indoors at the bar."
              Whiner Zysman later went on to insist that she’s going to take the matter to court! (As if our courts and judges and staff don’t have anything better to do, like dealing with, you know, real CRIMES and real criminals!) No, Whiner Zysman is going to waste all of our tax dollars and waste the time of the police and the judicial system.
              SHEESH!!!
              You can find the story at this link on KGMB but I’m not sure if the video is there too.
              I hope the video is available so you can all see how utterly foolish Whiner Zysman looked.
              Heh. That sure doesn't do much to aid the anti-smokers cause, does it? I think it was stupid of the State to pass that law without also appropriating the money to put some TEETH into the thing. A law without teeth is worth less than the paper it's printed on.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                Heh. That sure doesn't do much to aid the anti-smokers cause, does it?
                Indeed! It made her anti-smokers group look bad, with her being whiny and petulant and demanding the cops obey her, etc. She should be removed as the director of the anti's for being detrimental to her own cause.
                Not to mention that she was being totally confrontational as well, which is never called for.

Comment

Why doesn't the government just allow bars and restaurants to have completely separate "smoking" and "no-smoking" areas? That would seem like the most logical compromise. Or how about the government allowing each bar/restaurant to designate whether they are a "smoking" or "non-smoking" establishment, posting it at the entrance, and letting the customer decide whether or not to go in. (Someone might've already said this but I don't feel like reading through 20-pages).

I don't smoke, but as long as I have the choice of not being around it, I don't see what the problem is. And I don't believe the government has the right to ban smoking in private establishments either.

Comment

I applaud Zysman. I don't want these smokers polluting my air. Yay smoking ban!

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                      I applaud Zysman. I don't want these smokers polluting my air. Yay smoking ban!
                      So you're saying that you approve of non-smokers intentionally going into one place that allows smoking and then insisting it's her/your air? You couldn't be happy with 99% of places being non-smoking? You think cops and courts have nothing better to do?
                      What sheer and utter arrogance.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        So you're saying that you approve of non-smokers intentionally going into one place that allows smoking and then insisting it's her/your air? You couldn't be happy with 99% of places being non-smoking? You think cops and courts have nothing better to do?
                        What sheer and utter arrogance.

Go find yourself a violin.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
                          Why doesn't the government just allow bars and restaurants to have completely separate "smoking" and "no-smoking" areas?
                          Doesn't work. The smoke still drifts over to the non-smoking area.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                            Go find yourself a violin.
                            Go find yourself someplace else to drink.

Comment

Just an FYI here: SB 1970 is being heard tomorrow in the Senate Health Committee starting at 1:15 pm in Room 016, State Capitol.

Bill Description:

Report Title: Smoking Description: Establishes a Class 15, smoking establishment dispensers' license under the liquor law and allows smoking in the enclosed premises of establishments issued a Class 15 license. Exempts class 15 from restricted smoking areas.
                              Hearing Notice link

Either way of the issue, one thing the legislature understands is when people show up in great numbers for a public hearing, that may sway the committee vote.

Lastly, some photos from Friday's march.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                                Go find yourself someplace else to drink.
                                I don't drink.

Comment

Working...
                                X