New smoking ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

I would agree with the last if 'human nature' was a euphemism for hypocrisy. Unfortunately, I don't find the connection valid and therefore cannot agree.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

in the end we're all hypocrites.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

What?
        So now this is an exegesis on so-called "human nature," hypocrisy and the 'war on drugs?'

If I know anything about 'human-nature,' it is that it is localized, illogical (generally), selfish (at its worst), sacrificial (at its best), and mostly, but not always survival oriented. In short, there is no generalization for "human nature' other than eventually we manage to mess things up.

Hypocrisy? More like preservation of self-interest, which is sometimes, even often, hypocritical.

The "war on drugs" is obviously driven by conflicting and misguided interests. There is adequate evidence that shows that the 'monied' interests with friends in high places decides which victimless crimes to prosecute. And what victims to ignore.

Are things changing? Perhaps, but slowly, as always.
        Is one joint a night worse than a pack of cigarettes a day?
        Depends on who you've paid off.

"Land of the free? Home of the brave?"
        Show me the money.

We let our lower classes kill themselves with malnutrition, disease and starvation, but deny them drugs they seek - making them turn to crime to supply their comfort. Our denial creates their crime.

We permit two highly addicting substances for our citizens, which we tax, and which have a massive impact on our GNP in terms of crimes, health problems and social woes: (alcohol and tobacco), while we arbitrarily criminalize other addicting and non-addicting substances which have no proven detriment to society.

No, not hypocrisy - ignorance and special interest.

IMNSHO

K.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

well, I for one, will be glad come December 1! No more smoking in our places.

Now, I used to smoke, and do believe it is against Gods will to separate booze and tobacco, but it will be SO NICE, to go out and not come home and want to burn my cloths.
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

There's a new bill starting to move forward in the legislature which would ban people who smoke from EVERY beach and park in Hawaii.
            It also would help ensure that Japanese visitors stay away from Hawaii.

Please private message me if you think this is unfair. There are some very simple and effective ways to communicate with the legislature to help stop it in the committees before this bigoted bill gets out of control.

On a much better note bills have gotten introduced in both the House and Senate to allow bars economically hurt by the ban to purchase an exemption with most of the fee going to promote the noble cause of organ donation.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
              There's a new bill starting to move forward in the legislature which would ban people who smoke from EVERY beach and park in Hawaii.

Please private message me if you think this is unfair. There are some very simple and effective ways to communicate with the legislature to help stop it in the committees before this bigoted bill gets out of control.

On a much better note bills have gotten introduced in both the House and Senate to allow bars economically hurt by the ban to purchase an exemption with most of the fee going to promote the noble cause of organ donation.
              I don't think this bill is gonna ban people who smoke from going to beaches, just the act of smoking will be banned at beaches.

Like anything it's those few smokers who disregard those around them that give smokers a bad name plus those smokers that use the sand as an ashtray by flicking ashes, snuffing and leaving cigarette butts.

If someone sits upwind from me and starts to fart, blast their boombox, or smoke and their excesses come drifting down to me, I'd be upset too. Now if they were there first, I'd have nothing to complain about because I'd choose somewhere else to enjoy the beach.

It's just those inconsiderate few that make it bad for the rest of those who enjoy smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                I don't think this bill is gonna ban people who smoke from going to beaches, just the act of smoking will be banned at beaches.

Like anything it's those few smokers who disregard those around them that give smokers a bad name plus those smokers that use the sand as an ashtray by flicking ashes, snuffing and leaving cigarette butts.
                Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                It's just those inconsiderate few that make it bad for the rest of those who enjoy smoking.
                A "few" smokers?

I can't even remember the last time I've ever seen a smoker at a bus stop, public park or beach who ever carried around his/her own ashtray or disposal bag to put their rubbish in. The butts all ends up on the ground or in the sand.

Good for you if you clean up after yourself, Craig. But let's get real. The vast majority of people who smoke in a public area do not. Hence, the need for PSAs like these:

Butts STINK!

The Beach Is Not An Ashtray

Stepping on top of ciggie butts in the sand doesn't exactly promote Hawaii tourism in a positive way, either. For the Japanese or anyone else.
                Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 26, 2010, 05:59 PM.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

FM I don't smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post

Stepping on top of ciggie butts in the sand doesn't exactly promote Hawaii tourism in a positive way, either. For the Japanese or anyone else.
                    If this was the case, how many beaches and parks in Japan have a smoking ban? I myself do own and us a "pocket ashtray" at the beach and do try to be respectful.

Comment

If this was the case, how many beaches and parks in Japan have a smoking ban?
                      I don't know what the smoking/littering laws in Japan are. But that's besides the point. It doesn't change my earlier statement that discarded cigarette butts in the sand do not promote a positive image of Hawaii's beaches to tourists.

I myself do own and us a "pocket ashtray" at the beach and do try to be respectful.
                      Good for you. Unfortunately, the majority of smokers in public areas don't share that same sense of personal responsibility.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

If this was the case, how many beaches and parks in Japan have a smoking ban? I myself do own and us a "pocket ashtray" at the beach and do try to be respectful.
                        Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        I don't know what the smoking/littering laws in Japan are. But that's besides the point. It doesn't change my earlier statement that discarded cigarette butts in the sand do not promote a positive image of Hawaii's beaches to tourists.

Good for you. Unfortunately, the majority of smokers in public areas don't share that same sense of personal responsibility.
                        I disagree that the majority of smokers leave their butts. I don't carry a pocket ashtray, but I DO make sure I dispose of any butts properly, even if it means carrying them home with me. I've also been know to police the beach. I tend to find OTHER types of trash more often than stray butts. Empty beer and soda containers, plastic bags from snacks brought to the beach. Then there are those who bring newspapers, only to have some of it blown away by the wind.

Beaches in Hawaii are generally some of the cleanest I've seen. Try going to the Jersey shore - they even PAY people to clean the beach every morning and there is still trash around every day. And even there, the occasional stray butt is far fewer than the bags, papers and bottles/cans.

If tourism is down, I highly doubt it is because of a few stray butts............

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                          If tourism is down, I highly doubt it is because of a few stray butts............
                          "If tourism is down"..........Or unability to smoke wherever one wants.

We live in a condo with a nice view and we like to keep our sliding glass doors open to catch the breeze. The guy directly above us is a chain smoker and his wife wont let him smoke inside their condo and makes him go out on the veranda to smoke. That's fine. The problem is, all of his smoke comes into our condo unit. We have to close all the windows to keep the smoke out. Whenever he wants to smoke, we have to alter our lifestyle, stop whatever were are doing and go shut all the windows. Ten minutes later we have to stop whatever we are doing and open up the casa again. He is dictating our lifestyle and impacting the peaceful enjoyment of our home. He is a nice guy and has done favors for us. Matapule doesn't say anything because matapule doesn't want to cause trouble.

I don't know what the solution is.

My son in law quit smoking about 4 years ago. He has never looked back and feels liberated and wealthier. I am very proud of him.

Blessed be all smokers, throw off the chains of your immuration. We are here to encourage and support.
                          Last edited by matapule; January 28, 2010, 05:20 AM.
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

That's another reason why condo life is out for me. Each time I've done condo it's been quite irritating, no matter the finer points.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                              I disagree that the majority of smokers leave their butts.
                              Maybe I should do a poll on this.

Comment

With State senator Chun Oakland's latest outrage against constituents that happen to smoke I can tell you she's in the dog house tonight. Folks worked really hard to find a middle ground with her. Last year there were some very hopeful signs. I think that's over now. I'd still talk with her, but there is much that needs to change.

Comment

Working...
                                X