• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pomai
    replied
    Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
    I remember eating at Maple Garden a long time ago, and we never went back. The reason was that during the meal, we saw 2-3 different large cockroaches scurry out from behind the big painting they had hanging on the wall.

Now as a frequent customer of many restaurants, I don't pretend to think that cockroaches don't exist in restaurants, but I have never been anywhere else where I saw three 2 inch long roaches crawling around the walls of the dining area where you eat.

Pretty disgusting.
    So that begs to question: Would you go back to eat at Sekiya's?

Leave a comment:

• dyasu
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Maple Gardens...I remember that verryyy hot dish they served the table next to us. So spicy your eyes watered if you were downwind.
    I remember eating at Maple Garden a long time ago, and we never went back. The reason was that during the meal, we saw 2-3 different large cockroaches scurry out from behind the big painting they had hanging on the wall.

Now as a frequent customer of many restaurants, I don't pretend to think that cockroaches don't exist in restaurants, but I have never been anywhere else where I saw three 2 inch long roaches crawling around the walls of the dining area where you eat.

Pretty disgusting.

Leave a comment:

• PearlCityMike
    replied
    Re: varsity theater

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
    missed an opportunity a few days ago to take a picture of the old varsity theater (was in a rush); the screen area was still standing and everything else had been torn down. wish i could have taken that shot.

was in the area today and so took a few pictures. attached is a picture of what it looked like on thursday afternoon (facing diamond head). gonna miss that place....
    Varsity Theater: lots of memories of that place. Last 2 movies I saw there were Being John Malkovich and Tao of Steve in 1999.

After high school me and a few friends snuck some baby Lowenbraus in and we watched Flash Gordon in 1980. I set down an empty bottle on the floor and accidently knocked it over and my firends laughed at me as we heard it roll all the way down to the front.

In 1987 I took a blind date there who later became my girlfriend. As we stood in line she told me that we were "Set up" so her girl friend could get info from me if her boyfriend (my coworker) was fooling around.

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    replied

Robert Hsu of Maple Garden always greeted customers at the entrance. So, his absence was a little strange last week.

He was a nice man and will be missed ............

Leave a comment:

• shaveice
    replied
    varsity theater

missed an opportunity a few days ago to take a picture of the old varsity theater (was in a rush); the screen area was still standing and everything else had been torn down. wish i could have taken that shot.

was in the area today and so took a few pictures. attached is a picture of what it looked like on thursday afternoon (facing diamond head). gonna miss that place....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Menehune Man
    replied

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    I did go to MAPLE GARDEN last night.
    Heard that the owner passed away, so his widow sold the business.
    I used to work at where Robert Hsu (Maple Garden owner) lived.
    He would never let me buy my lunches and truly surprised my wife and I by giving us a wonderful, very special...
    10th wedding anniversary dinner.
    Of course I would always tip big for his staff!

I'll miss the Maple Garden, but Robert Hsu more.

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    replied

I did go to MAPLE GARDEN last night. Ordered cold ginger chicken, Mongolian beef, and Maple Garden tofu along with rice and tea. Got the complimentary almond float.

Heard that the owner passed away, so his widow sold the business. I'll give the new owners a try when they re-open.

Leave a comment:

• shaveice
    replied

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    As you can see by the banner in front, Tropic Fish & Vegetable Center in Ward Farmer's Market will close for good, March 31, 2008.
    (
    pomai, thanks for posting that note. i was going to but i see that you've already done it and with great pics, too!

i'll miss that place...

Leave a comment:

• AbsolutChaos
    replied

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
    Iʻm pretty sure there is currently a Magooʻs Pizza trailer in the 76 service station next to Moiliili Library. When I first saw it (about one or two months ago), I thought it might be in for repairs, or serious renovation. But after seeing it there week after week, it seemed to me it might be open for business. However, Iʻve never seen anyone ordering from their open window, or any activities next to it. Does anyone know?
    In addition to the Magoo's truck near Moiliili Library, Magoo's is also serving food at the location of Arnold's (http://www.arnoldswaikiki.com/). I know Analog plays acoustic there, though the website obviously hasn't been updated to reflect that.

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    MAPLE GARDEN, too? WOW! That's one of my favorite Chinese restaurants.
    I remember that was where I first tasted Peking Duck. That was during the days when you had to order it 24 hours (or more?) in advance.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I remember Magoos Pizza when it was a trailer parked in the far corner of Times Supermarket in Waialae.
    Iʻm pretty sure there is currently a Magooʻs Pizza trailer in the 76 service station next to Moiliili Library. When I first saw it (about one or two months ago), I thought it might be in for repairs, or serious renovation. But after seeing it there week after week, it seemed to me it might be open for business. However, Iʻve never seen anyone ordering from their open window, or any activities next to it. Does anyone know?

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Maple Gardens...I remember that verryyy hot dish they served the table next to us. So spicy your eyes watered if you were downwind.

I remember Magoos Pizza when it was a trailer parked in the far corner of Times Supermarket in Waialae.

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    replied

MAPLE GARDEN, too? WOW! That's one of my favorite Chinese restaurants. They've always given me complimentary almond float for dessert.

I better go there tonight!

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

Maple Garden near Stadium Park has been sold and will be closed at the end of March. I was told it will re-open sometime with the same name, but different owners and menu obviously.

Aj

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    replied

The Magoo's I remember was located in Waikiki. They delivered to the University area. Mama Mia was first located on the South King-McCully corner where Jack-in-the-Box now stands. A used-car lot, Surf Motors, was also situated adjacent to Mama Mia's.

Later on, Mama Mia's moved to Puck's Alley when Rich Miano's parents owned it.

East Side Grill occupies the space which was previously the legendary BLUE GOOSE (Crazy Shirts had designed a tee-shirt), BULLWINKLE'S, and MOOSE MCGILLICUDDY'S (changed from BULLWINKLE'S after a cease-and-desist order was filed by the creators of the BULLWINKLE cartoon character). I also seem to recall a RAIN TREE or RAIN COUNTRY CAFE there in the early-to-mid-80s.

Leave a comment:

• PearlCityMike
    replied

I lived in Pearl City in the late 60's and remember both Scotty's and Bluebirds. My parents took us kids to both. I used to walk down with my school chums from Higlands in 1973-75 and we'd stop at Scotty's. The french fries weren't the fat crinkle ones, because I don't like those. The ones we had there were the thin style like McDonalds. We tossed a few to the birds while we waited for the city bus.

I ate Magoo's pizza a lot. I always ordered a small pepperoni for delivery. The Magoo's some of you are talking about at Puck's Alley - I seem to remember a Mama Mia's there. Last time I ate there was around 1994. Former local boxer Wildman Carrere sometimes sat at the bar there. Moose McGillicuddy's still at Puck's?

What's going on with all the leases rising? Are the Japanese foreigners buying all the property and jacking up the land? Sad if true. Waikiki has totally changed in attitude, they cater to Japanese tourists more than anyone and if I walk in a store I get the cold shoulder.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X