Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Sausage!

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
    Since living here in the BAY AREA I would kill for plastic sausage = Lup Cheong
    You can't be serious. There's probably more lup cheong in SF than there is in Hawaii.

edit: I once looked at the different brands of lup cheong at my local supermarket, and not a single one was made in Hawaii. They were all from the mainland.
    Last edited by scrivener; March 22, 2007, 06:58 PM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      You can't be serious. There's probably more lup cheong in SF than there is in Hawaii.
      sounds like a chinese gay joke punchline 0_o
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Ooooh, Jumbalaaayyyyaa. Haven't had a good one in ages. Mahalo alohabear. Gonna try this one with shrimp and sausage. Mostly sausage of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
          I swear by my Aidells Sausage that I get from Costco.

I don't think I had a flavor I didn't like...and I can't quite name a favorite because they're all just soo good!
          Indeed, Aidells sausage ROCKS. We keep a ready supply of this flavor!....

Aidells PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM Sausage
          Inspired by memories of long days foraging through forest meadows and fireside meals of savory sautéed wild mushrooms, our New Portobello Mushroom Sausage is a delicious blend of chicken and turkey, sage, and sweet caramelized onions with chunks of Portobello mushrooms, dried champignons, and the essence of king of the wild mushrooms - porcinis. Toss it in omelets, tossed in pasta or on a bun with sautéed onions and melted cheese.
          Toss that with any pasta. Are you kidding me!?
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Hot Links. Any brand that's hot is fine. Grilled.

Comment

My cousin in Alaska (Anchorage) makes Smoked Halibut Sausage, Shoyu/sugar/garlic/ginger/hawaiian chili pepper style.

Whack that with Poi. Killahz.

Marlin and Salmon smoked sausages too. So ono.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

double post
                Last edited by Pomai; March 23, 2007, 12:03 AM. Reason: triple post
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  What's your favorite sausage(s)?

Hot Dog? Kielbasa (Polish)? Bratwurst (German)? Chorizo (Spanish)? Mortadella (Italian)? Linguica (Portuguese)? Blood? Arabiki? Vienna? (is that really a sausage?), exclusive or gourmet specialty? Other?
                  [/I]
                  Pomai.... Mortadella is a type of italian ham, like capicola. Italian sausage is just called Italian Sausage. The two varieties, like lavagal said, sweet, and hot(spicy). There is a skinnier one too, which has parmesan cheese in it. I forget the name of that one.
                  Another thing, Italian Sausage will have fennel seeds in it....not always, some people like it with, some without.

My dad owned a butcher shop when I was growing up, and they used to make it fresh, grinder and all.

Saute' up some onions and bell peppers and you have one of the most famous Italian dishes...sausage and peppers....usually eaten on a hero roll(sub) or just right out the plate. This is THE Italian Festival food. The San jennero feast in Little Italy will have dozens of stands selling this.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                    Pomai.... Mortadella is a type of italian ham, like capicola. Italian sausage is just called Italian Sausage. The two varieties, like lavagal said, sweet, and hot(spicy). There is a skinnier one too, which has parmesan cheese in it. I forget the name of that one.
                    Another thing, Italian Sausage will have fennel seeds in it....not always, some people like it with, some without.

My dad owned a butcher shop when I was growing up, and they used to make it fresh, grinder and all.
                    See this this, this, and this.

Not saying that's where I get my information from. Mario Batali of the Food Network did a segment dedicated entirely on Mortadella, even showing him hunting for it in a small shop in Emilia Romagna, Italy. This salumi is not small.. it's HUGE, almost needing two people to carry it. It has plenty of fat mixed into it. And Mario's certainly not full of Baloney (Balogna).

Now Sausage and Peppers?!!! That's the simplest, yet perfect Italian sausage dish! Assagio in Hawaii Kai makes a killer version. Can't remember exactly which sausage. We mock theirs with Italian Sausage and red, yellow and orange sweet peppers from Costco. Simply sautee it together in Extra Virgin OO with garlic and fresh Basil, then toss it into Linguine with toasted garlic bread and salad on the side. Buon sapore!
                    Last edited by Pomai; March 23, 2007, 06:05 AM.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      My cousin in Alaska (Anchorage) makes Smoked Halibut Sausage, Shoyu/sugar/garlic/ginger/hawaiian chili pepper style.

Whack that with Poi. Killahz.

Marlin and Salmon smoked sausages too. So ono.
                      Love this discussion. I've put on five pounds just reading it! Made a marinara last night with Italian sweets...Tikiyaki, I thought of you. I always throw a handful of fennel seeds to brown with the onions and garlic, so it cooks into the sauce from that first saute through the end.

Pomai--Here I am working in aquaculture, and I've never had fish sausage. Are they pumped into casings? What's used for casing? Do you take the casing off to eat? How do they stay together? What's the texture like? Do you get a true fish flavor? Can they sit in for other sausages if you wanted to lay off the pork?
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                        Pomai--Here I am working in aquaculture, and I've never had fish sausage. Are they pumped into casings? What's used for casing? Do you take the casing off to eat? How do they stay together? What's the texture like? Do you get a true fish flavor? Can they sit in for other sausages if you wanted to lay off the pork?
                        The texture is actually kinda' lose. It falls apart while you sautee it if you're not careful. I'm pretty sure the casings are synthetic, not natural, such as hog; and edible. Of course the fish and spice mixture is ground up first, then pumped into the casing, then dry-cured and smoked. Flavor-wise, it's like smoked marlin.. more "beefy" than "fishy". This is making want some just talkin' about it!

Never made sausages myself, but after this, I may end up buying a Kitchen Aid machine and getting into it! Lately I've been getting into smoking meats with Kiawe, and sausage is the natural next step!
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                          Love this discussion. I've put on five pounds just reading it! Made a marinara last night with Italian sweets...Tikiyaki, I thought of you. I always throw a handful of fennel seeds to brown with the onions and garlic, so it cooks into the sauce from that first saute through the end.
                          Lavagal, are you Italian? You seem to be really into Italian food.

Throwing fennel seeds into the sauce...never heard of that, but it sounds good. Sounds like some Grandma's secret to a tasty sauce....every grandma had her way of making sauce.

What kind of Italian sweets did you have.

Canoli's are my achilles heel....I could eat hundreds...SO fattening.

Sfogliatelle are another...and then there are the rainbow cakes, and the Italian cookie...now I'M hungry.
                          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

There is a sausage shop near the University of Washington, called Shultzy's; they've been in existence for about twenty years. When I worked at UW, I used to go there all the time, for their eponymous sausage sandwich - it's a wonderfully-spiced-and-seasoned (black pepper and fennel distinctly noted) flat patty, about the size of a large, elongated hamburger; great with grilled onions and peppers. They also make several kinds of cased links - Italian, German, andouille, etc. - they make all their own sausages (except the kosher all-beef frank.)

Beyond that - a good, spicy chorizo or Portuguese will make me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              There is a sausage shop near the University of Washington, called Shultzy's; they've been in existence for about twenty years.
                              I went there fifteen years ago when I visted. Three times.

The friend who introduced me to it (living here now) insists that when friends come home from Seattle, they make a stop at Shultzy's on their way to the airport! I can't believe it, but they actually do it!
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Over in the San Francisco Bay Area, there's a hot dog shop near the U.C. Berkeley campus called Top Dog. They had maybe half a dozen kinds of sausage for their dogs, and several different mustards to boot. Great buns too. I have fond memories of wolfing down kiels and cals (kielbasa and calabrese) with sweet, piercingly hot Russian mustard and some sauerkraut on top.

Comment

Working...
                                X