Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Sausage!

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
    Franks Foods still in business??? When I was still married to my Hilo girl, her parents used to always bring one care package full of FF Portagee sausage and their ham loaf. I really miss the stuff. Gotta talk to the ex about this.
    Speaking of Hilo brands, are you familiar with the Kulana brand? They're known for having the best Blood Sausage.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Speaking of Hilo brands, are you familiar with the Kulana brand? They're known for having the best Blood Sausage.
      My wife's oldest brother is the head butcher at Kulana, yes, their blood sausage is winnahs!

But for potagee sausage, Cannot beat the Big Island Pig hunters wild homemade potagee sausage! The best I ever tasted comes from three time 100 plus club ulua fisherman R Texeira. braddah gave me 50 pounds for my yakudoshi last year and everyone wiped it out!

Everyone was asking about this sausage and my braddah Jason da hollywood actor went home with a 2 pound package and ate that buggah for another week .

back in the day when i was dating my wife, her family who is portueguess on the mom's side made this unreal wild potagee sausage that had a dark brown purplish casing,, that sausage was the bomb and had chunks of smoked meat , and the spices were out of this world! Not Pika, but jus right!

Comment

FF brand Portuguese sausage, hot dogs, cocktail rockets, and oven-ready pork butt are still carried by KTA.

I believe that the KULANA brand is/was owned by Jimmy Yagi's family. He was the UH-Hilo Vulcans' basketball coach during their rise in the 1970's with Jay "the Bird" Bartholomew, Bill O'Rear, Gilbert Hicks, Frank Gipson, etal.

My step-father made his own Portuguese sausage. The big difference was the use of distinct CHUNKS of pork and fat along with the seasoning, as opposed to the pureed mixture in the commercially-produced sausages.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
          FF brand Portuguese sausage, hot dogs, cocktail rockets, and oven-ready pork butt are still carried by KTA.

I believe that the KULANA brand is/was owned by Jimmy Yagi's family. He was the UH-Hilo Vulcans' basketball coach during their rise in the 1970's with Jay "the Bird" Bartholomew, Bill O'Rear, Gilbert Hicks, Frank Gipson, etal.

My step-father made his own Portuguese sausage. The big difference was the use of distinct CHUNKS of pork and fat along with the seasoning, as opposed to the pureed mixture in the commercially-produced sausages.
          Oceanpacific

You are correct! Jimmy Yagi's family does own Kulana Food and Brady now runs the place with my brother in law whose the head butcher.

I have been non red meat for the last 5 months, and we receive tons of meat from my brother in law who is also a rancher and pig farmer. He works at Kulana and sells his livestock to them. After this coming sunday! I will make it a point to eat and make all that meat into smoke meat, sausages, steaks, ribs, and whatever is bad for the arteries! Invite the braddahs for inu, pupus, and play slack key!

Homemade portueguese sausage with the chucks of smoked meat can't be beat! It's not as oily as the commercial stuff, none of the chemical preservatives, and way more taste! My wifes younger brother is the one who is taking on the family task and has a huge smoke house .

It's all in the marinade and when smoking, tending to the flames and keeping them low when the oil starts to drip .
          Definitely a Hilo tradition!

Comment

Does KULANA FOODS still operate the slaughter-house on Kawailani Street? That's where we took our hogs and an occasional steer to meet their doom and provide us with the pork chops, steaks, roasts, etc. we consumed. Oh, the memories of farming life ..............

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
              Does KULANA FOODS still operate the slaughter-house on Kawailani Street? That's where we took our hogs and an occasional steer to meet their doom and provide us with the pork chops, steaks, roasts, etc. we consumed. Oh, the memories of farming life ..............
              Yup! The gates of doom where the pigs and beef goes to their untimely end. I think that Brady even built his house on the property. I just remembered that I bought a huge 9 foot chest freezer from them a few years back. Had it in my garage for all the fish I mount.

Speaking about farming life, My oldest daughter who is miss glamour girl popularity in school , despite the typical stereo type of her persona. Likes working on her butcher uncles hog farm! I can't understand the connection? She smells like a skunk when she comes home!

Comment

Just thought I would ask...but has anyone ever taken a ton of breakfast sausage (like Bob Evans) and made it into a burger?

Probably throw it on the grill also.

Sounds tempting but also scary.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoGuy75 View Post
                  Just thought I would ask...but has anyone ever taken a ton of breakfast sausage (like Bob Evans) and made it into a burger?

Probably throw it on the grill also.

Sounds tempting but also scary.

I worked at a place where we had a "Breakfast Burger". I was a 4oz sausage patty, hard fried egg, tomato, and lettuce all on a poppy seed kaiser.
                  flickr

An email from God:
                  To: People of Earth
                  Date: 9/04/2007
                  Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

longanesa for me.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                      I worked at a place where we had a "Breakfast Burger". I was a 4oz sausage patty, hard fried egg, tomato, and lettuce all on a poppy seed kaiser.
                      Just wondering if you happened to try it? And how popular was it?

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoGuy75 View Post
                        Just wondering if you happened to try it? And how popular was it?

It was good. Nothing amazing, but good. As far as a seller, it was middle of the road. One of those things you might not sell for a week, then the next week it seems like it is all you are selling.
                        flickr

An email from God:
                        To: People of Earth
                        Date: 9/04/2007
                        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

Re: Favorite Portuguese Sausage!

Ding ding ding... we have a Portuguese Sausage winner!...

Frank's Foods Inc. (Hilo, Hawaii) Portuguese Brand Sausage

After several of my blog visitors recommended Frank's brand from Hilo, I was fortunate to find some at Ward Marukai. I don't recall seeing this brand at all supermarkets, so you might have to hunt for it. Even Marukai doesn't always have it in stock. Lucky for you big island folks!

Porky, beefy, smoky and tight, not too fatty or greasy is the best way to describe it. Frank's just screams, "I'm the best darned Portuguese Sausage you ever ate!" Frank's Portuguese Sausage rules. Rego's Purity brand is still a close second.

Top to bottom (back to front): Ume Musubi, pickled cumber,
                          takuan (palate buffers), Frank's, Redondo's and Kukui brand
                          Portuguese Sausage

Formerly I chose Rego's Purity brand for it's slightly sweet profile, texture and authenticity, but the new champ is Frank's.

Also, I recently blogged a review of Kim Chee, Pastele and Chorizo Sausage...

The Pastele Sausage really taste like what it says it is. Neat one.

Click there if interested.

*End shameless plug*

Now I have to go for a swim and/or take some statin medication. lol
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Every so often, I get the urge to eat a spicy CHORIZO on a bowl of hot rice (egg optional). It sends me back to the days of my youth ..............

Comment

Working...
                            X