Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mixing

Originally posted by kamuelakea

Do you feel a little sadness for the baby seals.
    Do you feel some responsibility for the Whales?
    How about Native Hawaiians? If not, why the difference?
    The difference is the seals didn't welcome the hunters to hunt them. The Hawaiian people outnumbered the first vistors and could have made them leave. Land and power were given to the newcomers in trade for GOD and guns. They made the outsiders feel welcome and sold out the people. could it have been prevented? Maybe... look at Japan. They kept the outsiders out and developed into a major player in the world.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
      The difference is the seals didn't welcome the hunters to hunt them. The Hawaiian people outnumbered the first vistors and could have made them leave. Land and power were given to the newcomers in trade for GOD and guns. They made the outsiders feel welcome and sold out the people. could it have been prevented? Maybe... look at Japan. They kept the outsiders out and developed into a major player in the world.
      Yeah and unfortunately they were the only nation to get NUKED not once but twice! How's that for a shitty day.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I guess I should have been more clear on my statement. The thread was about being Hawai'ian, and I was simply trying to state that people shouldn't think that living in and practicing a culture entitles them to that ancestry.

As well, I think my comments were taken as "I wish the Hawai'ians would just hurry up and assimilate into "American" culture" - this could not be further from the truth. I am an absolute idealist, however my comment was based more on what is really happening, than what I would ideally like to happen.

I feel sadness for all that is lost - people and their cultures, and even animals.

What maybe is a more important discussion, is how to save a people and their culture? We can discuss what's right and wrong, good and bad, but does it really accomplish anything? What is a viable solution? I really don't know.

Stephen (or if I've been drinking too much, Ragin Cajun)

Comment

Re: What is "Hawaiian" to you?

I'd say a good start would be the realization that from the perspective of a native, my non-native opinion of what a viable solution would be don't mean dick.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

AP stylebook redefines "Hawaiian"

Talk about getting into the politically-correct 2000s...

The Associated Press Stylebook, which is used by journalists (print and TV) as its "Bible" has come out with a revision which now changes how journalists should use the "Hawaiian" designation when reporting on people from Hawai'i:

"...The AP has informed its member organizations of an update to the stylebook on the use of the term "Hawaiian." From now on, Hawaiians will be used only to describe members of the ethnic group indigenous to the Hawaiian Islands. "Hawaii resident" or "islander" describes anyone who lives in the state..."

So anyone without any kanaka maoli blood can no longer, in the eyes of the Associated Press, be referred to as "Hawaiian" any longer. You can be called a "resident" or "islander" or probably "local". Maybe that'll help eliminate the confusion over who is "Hawaiian" and who is not in the future.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: AP stylebook redefines "Hawaiian"

I wouldn't call it "politically correct" so much as just conforming with commonly accepted local usage. Folks here in Hawai'i know that just because you live here, that doesn't make you Hawaiian. The local newspapers have finally convinced the Associated Press to go along with that understanding.

Comment

Re: AP stylebook redefines "Hawaiian"

Personally, I'm glad to be a nomadic mutt, so I can be spared this arrogant "my heritage is better than your heritage" crap.

Comment

Working...
                X