• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SusieMisajon
    replied
    Re: Filipino's trying to be Hawaiian

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    She says she's part Hawaiian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, German, Irish...and that's the simple truth. It's long but that's her reality and nobody calls her disrespectful.
    That wouldn't work for me, over here. You also gotta remember that I'm a dirty stinkin' furriner, for them. Better to keep it simple.

But, if I was on the mainland, I'd say that I was 'from Hawaii', and probably leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
    When your wife was living in Alaska, and someone asked, what was she? Local Hawaiian? Poi? Hawaiian? American? From Hawaii? Alaskan, at the time? MYOB?
    She says she's part Hawaiian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, German, Irish...and that's the simple truth. It's long but that's her reality and nobody calls her disrespectful.

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

Originally posted by Hi Tone
    hello I'm new here, I'm filipino and hawaiian and get alot of backlash because of my hawaiian side.
    Now I just say i'm filipino and kanaka, it's more easier to understand.
    Yeah...but where do you live?

PS Hi!

Leave a comment:

• Hi Tone
    replied

hello I'm new here, I'm filipino and hawaiian and get alot of backlash because of my hawaiian side.
    Now I just say i'm filipino and kanaka, it's more easier to understand.

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

That makes you Filipino/German I don't see any Hawaiian in there at all. My wife is Hawaiian, Japanese, Portuguese, Korean, German, Irish. Physically it comes out looking Filipino (for some strange reason) but I don't call her Alaskan (and she did live there for a while).

It just doesn't make any sense to call yourself one race when you don't have an ounce of that race within you. You live in France but if you're German/Filipino, don't dare tell a Frenchman you're French too. Right?
    When your wife was living in Alaska, and someone asked, what was she? Local Hawaiian? Poi? Hawaiian? American? From Hawaii? Alaskan, at the time? MYOB?

PS I'm just Haole. The Filipino one is not the biological one. The 'real' one is Italian/American. And my passport is German. And, surely...Misajon comes from Spain, originally.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    I thought mine was "rat," or is that just applicable during the workday?

Okay make that three.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

If you take it back that far then we are all one race then...well two God's race and Darwin's race.
    I thought mine was "rat," or is that just applicable during the workday?

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by Paul
    Are Hawaiians really a race? I thought they were part of the Polynesian race and they are the same race as Tahitians, Samoans and the Maori of New Zealand among others.

Yes they are a race. If you take it back that far then we are all one race then...well two God's race and Darwin's race.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Put yourself in my shoes for a minute, will ya? At least I never (well, that's one other story) tell my Mom is German an my Dad is Waialua Filipino!

That makes you Filipino/German I don't see any Hawaiian in there at all. My wife is Hawaiian, Japanese, Portuguese, Korean, German, Irish. Physically it comes out looking Filipino (for some strange reason) but I don't call her Alaskan (and she did live there for a while).

It just doesn't make any sense to call yourself one race when you don't have an ounce of that race within you. You live in France but if you're German/Filipino, don't dare tell a Frenchman you're French too. Right?

Leave a comment:

• sinjin
    replied

Funny kine, huh? The French have no idea...most don't know where Hawaii is, or even that it's part of the US.
    C'mon. The French grasp what it means to be ethnically Polynesian. Remember, they stole Tahiti et al.

on edit: You are correct Paul. Technically Germans aren't a race either but the term race is fast losing any practical meaning.
    Last edited by sinjin; June 26, 2006, 11:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied

Are Hawaiians really a race? I thought they were part of the Polynesian race and they are the same race as Tahitians, Samoans and the Maori of New Zealand among others.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

When you say it's nothing to do with respect...saying you're Hawaiian because it's easier than to say what you really are, is a great disrespect to all Hawaiians. Being a pure blood Swede living in Japan doesn't make you Japanese but you would say that would you? It makes you a Swede living in Japan.

If you wanna start talking PC then let's get real here, Hawaiians are a race just like Germans, just like Chinese, just like whatever you are...but to say you are out of convenience even though you aren't, is disrespectful to any race...the word "Poser" comes to mind. Like guys who put ///M badges on their BMW 528E cars. It ain't no M5..

The sad thing about posers is that they're only fooling themselves. Everyone who really are...know the poser isn't. In other words you offend those who know and the ones that don't know could care less. You lose on both counts. It's self-righteous and immoral.

I'm sorry you're not Hawaiian simply because you lived there. It's not the same as California.

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

Originally posted by sinjin
    So you're haole but tell French people you're Hawaiian to save confusion? Swell.
    Put yourself in my shoes for a minute, will ya? At least I never (well, that's one other story) tell my Mom is German an my Dad is Waialua Filipino!

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

Originally posted by sinjin
    So you're haole but tell French people you're Hawaiian to save confusion? Swell.
    Funny kine, huh? The French have no idea...most don't know where Hawaii is, or even that it's part of the US.

Which is good for me, cause they don't know Bush is the boss, too, over in Hawaii. I no like be lynched!

Leave a comment:

• sinjin
    replied

When I am away from Hawaii, I say that I am Hawaiian...saves confusion, especially over here, where most people don't even know where Hawaii is. When I am at home, I am very obviously a 'local Haole'. Easy-peasy. Like someone said to me, once, "You only look Haole".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X