X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tutusue
    replied
    Re: Merrie Monarch 2007

Ho`omalu is edgy and controversial. That's what I like about him. Sometimes I think I'm in the minority! Kinda reminds me of a decade or so ago, watching Robert Cazimero's halau dance to Prince's "7" at the Hawaii Theatre. OMG...unbelievable. The theater was packed. Everyone was going crazy. While I greatly admire traditional hula I also love seeing it taken to a whole, different level.

Hula = chickenskin!

Leave a comment:

• oggboy
    replied

It`s nice when Mark Keliihoomalu brings his troupe to preform. I just trip cause his style is so different from everybody. I like the way he chants, big time...... Just watching everyones reaction while his troupe preforms, unreal. Of course last nite had some mistake that going cost them but it`s good to see him back at Merry Monarch. OGGBOY

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied

Originally posted by Kory K View Post
    Kaui won Miss Aloha Hula in 1992, a year after Kapua.

http://www.merriemonarchfestival.org...ers_1990s.html
    Don't forget youngest sister, Keola, in 1999. When Keola did her farewell hula in 2000, all 3 Dalire girls plus mom were on stage. That was one of my most favorite MM moments.

Watched kahiko on TV last night with a bunch of auana musicians (who shall not be named for fear of embarassment and retaliation) who I imagine are not feeling too good this morning. But it's tradition -- every kahiko night they get together for a nice watering session! It's like we never left the AB.

Was nice to see Wekiu kane back in the grind. I was wondering how come my friend was growing out his hair. I was going to say something a few months ago about he looks better with shorter hair....but now I know why he grew it out!

Pua'i Mana'o brought up Maiki Aiu Lake, and it got me thinking about a hula family tree that appeared in the Star Bulletin over ten years ago. A search brought up this:

http://starbulletin.com/96/04/08/features/story1.html

...but the illustration's too tiny for me to read. Does anyone have a copy of it in full size or know where I can find one? With all the new and young kumu these days, I think it'd be nice to read up on that again.

Leave a comment:

• Kory K
    replied

Kaui won Miss Aloha Hula in 1992, a year after Kapua.

http://www.merriemonarchfestival.org...ers_1990s.html

Leave a comment:

• CranBeree
    replied

can someone tell me if Kaui Dalire ever made Miss Aloha Hula? if so what year?

tried to google, but no luck.

Leave a comment:

• Pua'i Mana'o
    replied

just got back. Sat for as long as I could. Tomorrow I will bring a better cushion.

As always, beautiful hula. Still, its a Maiki fest, if you ask me. All the same hula genealogy, with the exception of the halau from the mainland. Hilo needs to step back into the game.

Ho'omalu did it different, but neither his men nor his ladies were fully ready. Between enough off-beat and kupe'e falling off (deductions for that), I don't think he will place as high as he'd wish. Still, what a crowd pleaser.

bus' ass this week, but all is good. This is my second favorite week of the year (just after Haili VB). Craft fairs aren't doing as well as they usually do, which is a bummer.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Are you ready for the second half of Kahiko night? Anyone planning on staying up really late to watch until the end?
    Unfortunately...no! The memory foam mattress topper is chanting my name...tu...tu...tu...tu!

I was just perusing Ho`omalu's web page when the men of Na Pua Me Ke Aloha were dancing. I muted the tv's sound and the Ho`omalu chant on the web site and the halau's dancing were perfectly in synch. Awesome!

Kahiko's my favorite night. Kane hula kahiko is the favorite part of my favorite night!
    Last edited by tutusue; April 13, 2007, 09:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Keanu
    replied

Are you ready for the second half of Kahiko night? Anyone planning on staying up really late to watch until the end?

I am. I much prefer to watch the Kane during the Kahiko portion and the Wahine during the Auwana portion. Btw, I think I just saw Tim tumbling down the bleachers. Tim was that you?

Leave a comment:

• Kory K
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bard
    replied

Been watching from here. The video stream is awesome, but I bet it's twice as good in person. The Ho`omalu performance was fantastic. It's been one great performance after another, though with the second half probably scheduled to start at midnight for me, I probably don't have the energy to watch it all

It's been pretty funny to watch the "unofficial" feed though -- if you left it running when they took a break for news a while ago, the camera was still rolling and feeding to the internet as they coached a girl for an interview and chatted

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

I just drove by and it's a friggin madhouse down there tonight.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
    [...]TimKona, wish I was going to Kahiko tonight but I have something else to go to. I know I'm missing the best part, but you guys have fun for me. From what I remember from the night at La Mariana, your daughter's an absolute darling. Have fun tonight![...]
    Tim...please post your daughter's reaction! IIRC, she's 5 so she'll have a different take on it than the ol' folks. I gave my 8 yr. old nephew (the special needs little guy) a dvd of last years keiki hula contest. He's mesmerized by it.

Leave a comment:

• Lei K
    replied

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    DAYAM!
    Ho`omalu rocks my soul!
    I loved it!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

DAYAM!
    Ho`omalu rocks my soul!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Good to see lots of young halau tonight. Anyone waiting to hear Mark Kealii Ho`omalu chant?
    His halau is up next. Can't wait. He always blows me away...in spite of his 'reputation'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X