X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kory K
    replied
    Re: Merrie Monarch 2007

Good to see lots of young halau tonight. Anyone waiting to hear Mark Kealii Ho`omalu chant?

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

Kahiko's on as I type! (Arguably) the best night of the competition, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• koloagirl
    replied

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just a correction to the competing halau's information first posted -- they have
    "Na Hula 'O Kaohikukapulani" as being from O'ahu -- Aunty Kapu and her halau are from right here on beautiful Kaua'i!

All I can say is "Thank God for TIVO!" -- I'm watching last night's competition as I type this!

And yes, the shirts are ugly, but I still had my friend buy me a tank and a bag! What can I say?

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied

Aloha to HT from Waiakea Uka!

Divine intervention worked again this year as I find myself updating from my friend's couch.

After the kahiko portion of the Miss Aloha Hula competition, I knew that it was a free for all. I didn't see a contestant I didn't like, and although I had two favorites (both of whom placed) -- I really think that it was Keonilei's kahiko that blew everyone out of the water.

When the list of contestants was announced, I saw right away that Kaleo Trinidad and Snowbird Bento decided not to run a Miss Aloha Hula contestant. Totally forgot that Aureana (Hula Halau o Kamuela) is Tatiana's (Ka Leo O Laka I Ka Hikina O Ka La) youngest sister. Awesome to see respect between the different halau.

Upon reading the program, I saw that Mapuana DeSilva's girl's mele auana was "Na Pua Lei Ilima". I hoped that Jerry Santos was performing it. It's just not the same otherwise. Sure enough, I got my wish. Brought back lots of memories and that song always always gives me chicken skin.

Aureana's "Mai Italia Kou Lei Nani" was also a favorite and she was so perfect. When I saw her walk up to the stage, I couldn't help but think "OMG! IMELDA!!!" but her costume was definitely in keeping with her Queen Kapiolani theme. Always a treat to hear Lopaka Kanakaole sing.

TimKona, wish I was going to Kahiko tonight but I have something else to go to. I know I'm missing the best part, but you guys have fun for me. From what I remember from the night at La Mariana, your daughter's an absolute darling. Have fun tonight!

Busy day today! Thank goodness it's payday. Sig Zane, here I come!

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

Caught the first 5 (kahiko) contestants of last night's Miss Aloha Hula competition. Bummers that Johnny Lum Ho (Halau Ka Ua Kani Lehua) is out this year.

Just learned from mom last night that my (late) dad played a part in founding the Merrie Monarch. While dad was Chief of Economic Development for the City & County of Hilo under then-mayor Shun Kimura, the two of them thought up and started the Merrie Monarch Festival.

In the beginning, the Merrie Monarch Festival wasn't a Hula event, but simply a county fair (like the 50th State Fair), held at Mo'oheau Park, with community booths and carnival attractions, intended to promote local business and bring more attraction and excitement to Hilo town.

George Na'ope and Dottie Thompson, who worked for the C&C of Hilo's recreations department, came in later and began the transformation of the Merrie Monarch Festival into a Hula event.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Kory K View Post
    everyone watching?
    You betcha! Well, I'm a little late!

Leave a comment:

• Kory K
    replied

everyone watching?

Leave a comment:

• Bard
    replied

Aww man, wish I could be there this year. Maybe next year! It'll be the internet stream for us.

Leave a comment:

• timkona
    replied

I will be taking my daughter on Friday night. I cannot wait to experience this event "in person".

Who else will go from HT.....let's meet up, and put faces on names.

PM me if you plan to attend Friday night.

Leave a comment:

• mikaela
    replied

i cant wait!! i too will be watching on my computer, but i'm still mad excited about it all. last year, i was able to record the live stream (because i knew i'd fall asleep! lol), so i'm gonna do the same this year.

it's my dream to dance on that stage...my mom and i went to hilo to see the mm in person back in 2005 and i got chicken skin just thinking about dancing on that stage. *shivers* one day!! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by Bard View Post
    Oooo... I'll definitely be checking that out. Is he doing the posters for Merrie Monarch, or just as a thing on his own?
    Apparently MM commissioned Makua to continue his series on Hawaiian legends specifically for the Festival. His artwork truly is amazing...I bought last year's poster too, but it has disappeared from my possession somehow (major sadness)

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• Bard
    replied

Oooo... I'll definitely be checking that out. Is he doing the posters for Merrie Monarch, or just as a thing on his own?

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by Bard View Post
    Speaking of shirts and such... I didn't care too much for the 2007 poster, but the last few years' have been incredible. See here. We got to stop in his shop while in Hilo and buy some cards of them. Apparently a print of the 2003 poster goes for $200 now!

Thanks for the streaming link, looking forward to watching
    When I was on Maui the last 2 weeks, I stopped at the place I usually can find MM festival shirts and posters and bought a t-shirt (you're right: this year's t-shirt is a pretty gawd awful yellow). I didn't buy the poster this year, but I do have the one from 2005 with Hopo'e and Hi'iaka. I understand that the Festival has convinced Makua to do another series of Hawaiian legends beginning with 2008. I'll definitely be buying copies then! They're only $10 for the current year; the lady at the shop said the print I have was going for about $150 on eBay...as if I would ever sell it!

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• kiwidiva
    replied

I'll be there to see it and breathe it all in!

Thank goodness for Halau Mohala Ilima who were able to give me 2 of their "extra" tickets!!

I really was all set to go with airfares, accoms, a rental car and NO Merrie Monarch tickets!!!

Now... I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

I watched it on TV last year and vowed that I wouldn't miss out in '07. My faves (apart from Mapuana who has been so kind) are the young'uns - especially Snowbird & Kaleo. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have come up with this year.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE KUMU & DANCERS.

Leave a comment:

• Bard
    replied

Speaking of shirts and such... I didn't care too much for the 2007 poster, but the last few years' have been incredible. See here. We got to stop in his shop while in Hilo and buy some cards of them. Apparently a print of the 2003 poster goes for $200 now!

Thanks for the streaming link, looking forward to watching

Leave a comment:

Working...
X