Clear All

Re: Disclosing Identity on Forums

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    When is the HT Christmas Party?

Aj
    It's currently being discussed here.

Comment

I used to post regularly on Mel's old Hawaii Radio & TV...with my real name and was flamed by immature media people who just started in the biz and felt like they were hot sh*t.

Those were the days right Mel. One of the good things back then was that the person's IP address was plainly visible for all to see. It was pretty obvious that my flamer was posting from the jock room at Clear Channel. This poster was also flaming my then boss Paul Wilson (who was the PD for CC).

It didn't take long for anyone to figure out who was the poster as the cyberlocks on the operations side of CC kept an electronic log of who was entering the facilities and when.

As for me a simple program allowed me to find my flamer via HER IP address. That coupled with the Google search maps I found her name, address, phone number. I simply let her know that and she backed off and apologized.

But from that day I had to make a choice as to being who I am or being somebody else.

As opinionated as I am it's hard for anyone not to know my writing styles or my positions, so I decided I won't hide behind anything because the truth really does set you free. And I'm free to write what I feel without the fear of being uncovered and my public life destroyed because of what I said. My private life is my public life because I have nothing to hide.

I want the world to know who I am because I'm proud of my life (including the mistakes).

Outspoken people are extroverted by nature and online forums are a great place for them.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        As opinionated as I am it's hard for anyone not to know my writing styles or my positions, so I decided I won't hide behind anything because the truth really does set you free. And I'm free to write what I feel without the fear of being uncovered and my public life destroyed because of what I said. My private life is my public life because I have nothing to hide.

I want the world to know who I am because I'm proud of my life (including the mistakes).

Outspoken people are extroverted by nature and online forums are a great place for them.
        Exactly!

I add the above to my reason too.

Mahalo CraigWatanabe

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I run a business online and have my photo on my website....this same photo was also on an ad in a Hawaii magazine a couple years ago. I make it a point never to divulge anything about my customers as I feel this is unprofessional. Nor do I really feel any need to discuss (bore others with) my other job...which I greatly enjoy!

As for posting my grandchildren's photos, I never reveal anything more than their first names and ages.

I've met and had lunch with Ryan, almost got to meet up with Tatt and hope to meet with other HT'ers in the future.
          Lovena

Comment

It's funny - when I first came onto the forum I felt like I had to come up with some nickname like everyone else. It wasn't for any other reason. I'd be just as happy going by Jill. I'd go to any HT get together in a heartbeat if I could (I was hoping the HT Christmas party was going to be later - like early Jan, but oh well). I would love to meet all of you. I've never posted any pictures cause I haven't figured it out yet. It's one of those things I'm gonna get around to. But when I do figure it out, I may still not post pictures of myself - not because I don't want anyone to see me - but because I hate pictures of myself.

Comment

*bump*

sitting here slapping my forehead.

just made a hair appointment with jaime at the fix. the person with whom i made the appt. asked if i had been there before. when i replied that i had not, she then asked how i had heard of jamie. i said that he came highly recommended by his former clients "cyn" and "eric". dead silence. one second, two seconds, hello? she must have thought i was a lunatic and obviously didn't recognize the "names" i had given her. the joke is on me. little did i know these were aliases.
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

And don't forget turtlegirl!!

Hope you have a great hair day! You really need to make plans to go out somewhere fabulous after you get your hair done, cuz its gonna look awesome!

Also, this was a cool thread to bump up...
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

lol. i did mention that he, jaime, had just cut another HTers hair but this just added to the silence. told her that we "knew" eachother from this forum/the internet. i'm sure glad i didn't use your "identity", turtlegirl. that would have surely put both of us over the edge. at least she was professional while i kept rambling on.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                    *bump*

sitting here slapping my forehead.

just made a hair appointment with jaime at the fix. the person with whom i made the appt. asked if i had been there before. when i replied that i had not, she then asked how i had heard of jamie. i said that he came highly recommended by his former clients "cyn" and "eric". dead silence. one second, two seconds, hello? she must have thought i was a lunatic and obviously didn't recognize the "names" i had given her. the joke is on me. little did i know these were aliases.
                    Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                    And don't forget turtlegirl!!

Hope you have a great hair day! You really need to make plans to go out somewhere fabulous after you get your hair done, cuz its gonna look awesome!

Also, this was a cool thread to bump up...
                    Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                    lol. i did mention that he, jaime, had just cut another HTers hair but this just added to the silence. told her that we "knew" eachother from this forum/the internet. i'm sure glad i didn't use your "identity", turtlegirl. that would have surely put both of us over the edge. at least she was professional while i kept rambling on.
                    *lol*

i'm sorry that our need for some sense of distance online has caused you a little grief. eric and i have jobs where confidentiality...and/or full disclosure...is a must and while some here can tread the line artfully as to their job selves and their personal selves, we prefer to keep things simple for ourselves. maybe that's seen as selfish; maybe that's seen as if we have "something to hide." *shrug* think what you will; the fact that you cannot put real face to screen name does not diminish from our being genuinely ourselves online.

there are a few on HT who know who we are, either because they knew one of us from the past, or bcs a situation came up where it was necessary to disclose (for example, one of us works with another person or other persons who are HTers).

i am on jaime's myspace and will let him know i've recently recommended two lovely ladies from the windward side to him. it'll make up for my own guilt for not coming out to have him do my hair!
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I have come to realize I'm pretty neutral about *my* identity online. I show pics here and there of me, the spousal unit, the bebes but that's about it. I thought long and hard about it and decided a bit ago to not share any pictures of my fambam (aunties, uncles, cousins, etc) without permission. Soooo they just stay on my Myspace where I can pick and choose who sees them, you know?

Through talking story on PM and elsewhere I have found myself to be related to a few folks here on HT, so no fear, I'mma real person AND Hawai'i keeps proving to be a small place.
                      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

well, I guess it's too late for me! I've always posted in an open honest way - folks know who I am by name, and where I work. I've met a few HT folks and have made friends with some. I'm kind of like Auntie Lynn & Craig Watanabe - I don't have anything to hide. If you want to find me, then here I am. I always say what I mean and will be more than happy to say it to your face if confronted. If you feel you have to hide behind a fake name or are afraid to post as "yourself", then maybe you shouldn't be here. HT is the most non-threatening forum I have ever been a part of. Yes, I do get put down on occasion but, thats just a part of life. I certainly don't feel like anyone is out to get me.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

cyn: no grief experienced; no offense meant or taken; no apologies and/or explanations necessary. it was really quite funny!

i really don't think people have, "something to hide." i just find it quite interesting the "nicknames" or "usernames" we/they come up with. i chose "kani-lehua" because it is the name of a mist-like rain at hilo. the literal translantion is "rain that lehua blossoms drink' or an alternate interpretation is "rain that makes lehua blossoms rustle." i long to live on the big island and recently purchased a lot at mauna loa estates (volcano). when mom passes, we will build our dream home amongst the many ohia lehua trees on the lot if madame pele allows it?!

just when i stopped "slapping my forehead", mom's caretaker called and said that he was going to be late. oy! oy! oy! now i'm sitting here red-faced with anger. calm down, calm down. breathe.
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            If you feel you have to hide behind a fake name or are afraid to post as "yourself", then maybe you shouldn't be here. HT is the most non-threatening forum I have ever been a part of.
                            A couple of thoughts concerning this...

I have probably been more loose with personal info, like full name, location, photos, etc. than would be properly prudent. But that is how I am on the street too. My wife has commented after brief encounters with folks, that "They now know your whole life already!" HaHa! Oh well.

The thing is that although this is a wonderful place/forum, what we post remains in the cyber-world till the end of time.

And that really shouldn't be taken too lightly.
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                              [...]
                              The thing is that although this is a wonderful place/forum, what we post remains in the cyber-world till the end of time.

And that really shouldn't be taken too lightly.
                              Precisely! Even with my screen name here, I'm pretty easy to identify. However, I do try to refrain from discussing anything in HT that might come back to haunt me, be it work related or, ahem, condo related! Except for very oblique references, that is!

Comment

For the most part I don’t worry about the people that post on this forum a lot. The main concern is the lurkers. While 99.99% of them are very benign it only takes one to cause a severe problem. And if you have a family it can affect them too.

On the other hand some people think that if you are “nameless and faceless” your advice should not be considered at all.
                                "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                                Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
                                X