Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disclosing Identity on Forums

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

How can one be brutally honest while hiding behind an alias. How can one back up their statements when they don't put their integrity on the line. Honesty and integrity work together to form a believable person and that's what I base myself upon. I got nothing to hide, so why hide behind an alias.
    That's just it...you CAN be brutally honest behind an alias, whereas being known makes you subject to etiquette. I think maybe what you're talking about is more along the lines of BEING RUDE behind an alias.

I have found that inevitably on forums, the issue of anonymity arises when heated debate and name-calling and such occur. It's at that point when people start calling out others. But if I give you casual friendly advice are you going to dimiss it if I use an alias?

Comment

Dittos on what Craig and miltk have said.
      And, keeping my name on the marquee helps keep my ass in line.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

and, by the way, where in the world is carmen, i mean craigwatanabe?
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I'd reveal who I am, except I'm not who I thought I was.

Oops, too late.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
            and, by the way, where in the world is carmen, i mean craigwatanabe?
            I have been wondering the same thing. Maybe this is presumptuous of me, but I hope, in part, that it has nothing to do with that whole god - hydrogen atom thing......... (he disappeared right after that). I even sent him a note saying that, despite our different views, I always enjoyed his banter .

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
              I'd reveal who I am, except I'm not who I thought I was.
              Uh, me neither. Wot the flux? I almost don't recognize myself. Hmmm...

Sorry, just had'a...
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Back in the heyday of Usenet, I used my real name, but I've been involved in way too many identity theft cases not to be paranoid. For the most part, people don't give up enough personal information on forums to make themselves an appealing target. Identity thieves usually go for the easy prey, but if they had a compelling reason to come after you, it's surprising how little they need to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                  I have been wondering the same thing. Maybe this is presumptuous of me, but I hope, in part, that it has nothing to do with that whole god - hydrogen atom thing......... (he disappeared right after that). I even sent him a note saying that, despite our different views, I always enjoyed his banter .
                  yeah, i miss him, too! he has a great sense of humor and his posts are well thought out imo.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  order shall return."

Comment

I have only been registered on this site for about a year now, so I missed the early years. Unless there's a prequel when an old topic is brought back from the archives when a similiar topic pops up again. I can only guess of what's proper and allowed on this board.
                    Has any poster been banned from the board in the past? From experiences from other discussion forums, there are the trolls, self-promoters, subtle racist posters, and just plain hard head angry posters.
                    Do you get a warning through Private Message from a Moderator that you went over the line? And three strikes and you're out.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                      yeah, i miss him, too! he has a great sense of humor and his posts are well thought out imo.

MAYBE HE HAD TO GO INTO HIDING, because everyone knew who he was

Comment

Originally posted by miltk View Post
                        I hope he's just taking a brief break from HT; sometimes, you just gotta do that, you know? (I'm hoping it's NOT due to any crises at home, or anything bad li'dat.)

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        Has any poster been banned from the board in the past? --- Do you get a warning through Private Message from a Moderator that you went over the line?
                        Yes, a couple of people have been banned, after many, many warnings, (along with a few troublesome spammers) but that was a while ago. Since Admin instituted a screening process for new members, this seems to have been less of a problem.

While we fuss and fight a little bit sometimes, for the most part, we learn to get along around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          [...] I can only guess of what's proper and allowed on this board.[...]
                          A good place to start is the HT FAQ!

Comment

hm. well, he told me that there are several "craig watanabe's" out there. and, he mentioned a few. i actually know another guy with the same name, but he ain't "our craig".
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            order shall return."

Comment

I knew he was Batman!

Comment

Working...
                              X