Legal Question: Shopping Carts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Legal Question: Shopping Carts

Like the WalMart store down the street in Honolulu, Daiei Honolulu now uses the same CAPS security system to lock carts to their property.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I can only imagine how many shopping carts could be confiscated tonight if the homeless from Ala Moana do end up camping out in front of Honolulu Hale...if the right legal actions were followed...I'm sure some store reps along with some cops could get some of their carts back.

Comment

I still waiting for somebody from Costo to come for the one in front of my Hale. On Saturday, by the bustop fronting Rent-to-Own on Dillingham Blvd. I counted 21 shopping carts! Most belong to K-Mart. Four to Safeway. There was no way I was going to haul them to my Hale and call to have them picked up!

Auntie Alohilani Anani
        (das my new name)
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          I still waiting for somebody from Costo to come for the one in front of my Hale. On Saturday, by the bustop fronting Rent-to-Own on Dillingham Blvd. I counted 21 shopping carts! Most belong to K-Mart. Four to Safeway. There was no way I was going to haul them to my Hale and call to have them picked up!

Auntie Alohilani Anani
          (das my new name)
          Can you imagine if they worth a HI-5 return?

You know why they are there auntie? They use them to gather their cans... then they collect their returns and our to lazy to return them after getting their $7.00 - $8.00 in collections after an 8 hour day of picking up cans.

I think if I worked 8 hours walking around town digging in garbage cans and what not for only what I make in about 20 minutes... I'd damn tired too! However, this is still not an excuse to leave them all over your neighborhood.

The same thing happens around the redemption center on Beretania in Moilili.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            I can only imagine how many shopping carts could be confiscated tonight if the homeless from Ala Moana do end up camping out in front of Honolulu Hale...if the right legal actions were followed...I'm sure some store reps along with some cops could get some of their carts back.
            I can also see the following happening.

Some kids take the shopping cart for a "joy ride" two kids in the cart... one kid pushing... running... the next thing you know... crash... one or two of the kids get seriously hurt... possibly paralyzed....

I can see the parents suing the Stores that "Left" they're carts all over the neighborhood... Or do the police try and attempt to take finger prints off the cart to see who removed it in the first place... I'm sure if the person had the cart longer than the 15 minutes that one normally would use...that there would be finger prints all over it.... etc...

I hope it never happens... However I was a kid and I know how fun it was to play in those things... that was back in the days when the carts weren't very big and you could actually ride underneath the groceries when your parents were pushing you.

I always thought back in the days that some kid was going to lose a finger riding under there....

Comment

Yeah. Now I understand more. The redemption center is near the area. Infact, lots of shopping carts are scattered all ova. Most of the people that collect are not Homeless. Nope. The ones that go digging in the bins where I live are not residents. They make a mess and are told repeatedly to leave the premises.

Hmmm...Shopping Cart problems vs People who need shelter? I think we should help solve the living.

Auntie Alohilani Anani
              (das my new name)

Comment

I used to work at a condominium near the bottom of University Ave. We would find various store's shopping carts abandoned along the sidewalks nearby. So we brought them on property and stored them under a set of stairs. We had all the phone numbers to facillitate pick up. Worked pretty good and that way the carts didn't end up in the Ala Wai Canal with the others.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I just saw a guy using 3 carts in the park...! 1 was recycling... and I don't know what was in the other two...but it wasn't groceries!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                    I just saw a guy using 3 carts in the park...! 1 was recycling... and I don't know what was in the other two...but it wasn't groceries!
                    Go call HPD and make a report. I dare you. Since you such an outstanding citizen.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Actually, I was kind of impressed with his ability to maneuver them. Pushing one in front of him... Pulling the other two behind him, one tied on to the other.

Comment

Europe seems to have a good system. You put in a token worth 1-5 Euro into the locking mechanism, you get your cart, use it, then get your token back when you lock up the cart. There's probably a way around it, and there are probably some homeless people that think a cart is worth that much money to them, but it seems to be effective over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
                          There's probably a way around it, and there are probably some homeless people that think a cart is worth that much money to them, but it seems to be effective over there.
                          They have a locking system in place at Times Liliha. It still doesn't stop many to take the shopping carts.heheheh

Safeway Pali and Longs used to have um where you needed 25cents to put in to get a cart and to get back your money you needed to bring it back to the area - put the chain from the previous one and your quarter returns to you.

I don't know if it's still being used. I usually cash and carry.

For the Homeless ~ the shopping carts is all they have to haul all their possessions.

Auntie Lynn
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; August 13, 2006, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                            For the Homeless ~ the shopping carts is all they have to haul all their possessions.
                            Yeah :/ At least the supermarkets are sort of doing their part in the war against poverty, even if they aren't necessarily proactive, i.e. by not pursuing charges against those who take the carts.

Comment

hooray for the supermarkets!

Comment

They had such a problem with people using them throuhg the mall instead of just at ROSS here that they attatched HUGE 6 foot tall pipes to each cart. If you try to leave the store they hit the top of the door or wall

Not one cart has left since then, guess it was a cheap alternative but now I can't take my kids to the car in the cart
                                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                                Sharing withother survivors...
                                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                                X