X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What pisses you off?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    Okay so what's wrong with "Have your cake and eat it too" I mean if you're going to buy/bake a cake you should be able to eat it.
    Craig, Craig, Craig!
    I DOOOO... hope you are joking and NOT actually being literal.

This means, One can't use something up and still have it to enjoy. This proverb was recorded in the book of proverbs by John Heywood in 1546, and is first attested in the United States in the 1742. Some history, eh, brah!?

This antiquated adage is of course, through the course of history, to be found in varying forms: "You can't eat your cake and have it too." (figgah it out) "You can't have everything and eat it too"

(moderne redux: "You can't have everything! Where would you put it!?"
    steven wright.)

kay den.
    nuff sed.
    Last edited by kimo55; March 31, 2005, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I'm pissed off that I can't name my list at this time...I'm going to sleep. Jet Lag is a bitch. hmmm....i like this thread. i'm definitely going to come back on this one. Good night everyone, it's great to be back home in Hawai'i nei! Lucky we live Hawai'i? Betta believe it braddahs and sista's!

Auntie Lynn (aka auntie pupule)
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        hmmm....i like this thread.
        ssshhheeeyyyy...
        what thread do you not like?

I hate it when ya clik on a link on a web site for;
        contact us
        and all ya get is:
        yer email program launches!

Contact
        is
        "phone numbers"
        or
        physical address for walk in contact.
        NOT simply email. which is not "contacting us".

Comment

What pisses me the most are...

Advertisements, junkmails,adds, & spams that are being sent
          to your home based e-mail.

So, to resolve that issue at hand,
          either just do the "unsubscribe",
          but others will still continue to
          to e-mail you regardless!.

Another way, to resolve that issues are...
          either to click on "block sender" to junk mails, or
          to make &/use another non homebased
          e-mail such as garfield.com, freesite.com, etc..
          so that way,all of the once that you hate
          to have, will just automatically go there.

ha ha ha ha (sounds of evil laughter).

Aloha.
          Aches & Pains
          (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Craig got me thinking about some driving-related issues:

-My big peeve is being behind the person in the left hand turn lane stopped at the traffic light without the blinkers on. When the light turns green, then they decide to turn on the turn signal. for some reason, this always happens when I'm in a hurry or late for something....

-Or the folks who merge into a lane in front of you without looking, and exasperate me even more when I honk the horn and get and apologetic "sorry I didn't see you wave."

-People who get stuck in the middle of an intersection while you're trying to turn left and leave you stuck there. Similar situation when folks run the yellow or red while you're still waiting to turn left.

-Drivers not paying attention to the road and more attention to their phone calls

-i live in an area where I need to park on the street and space is limited.....Double parkers KILL me!!!!

Maybe this is why road rage exists, because of stupid drivers......What does make my day though, is when you let some kind of big truck merge in front of you, and see a big huge paw come out the window and give a nice, strong, yet understated, "shaka with a twist".

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
              -People who get stuck in the middle of an intersection while you're trying to turn left and leave you stuck there. Similar situation when folks run the yellow or red while you're still waiting to turn left.
              Example; lunalilo offramp and you are going ewa. BIG signs everywhere; "do not block intersection". As you try fo cross Piikoi to get to the next street to turn left, at da post office, many's a time when we see people blocking the intersection, preventing us from advancing on our green light.
              They break the law and inconvenience US... just so they can get through and NOT wait for the next light.
              Thank god get one cop erry now and then with a ticket book near rush hour...

(that's pretty much the root of it; the "I" centered universe.
              Jerks on da road basically saying; "I don't wanna be inconvenienced, so I will inconvenience YOU")

Maybe this is why road rage exists, because of stupid drivers......

no. "stupid drivers" are not the cause of road rage.

Comment

eh Kimo...If someone had everything and you ask where would they put it, well I imagine somewhere in that everything pile of stuff acquired they will have enough storage units to keep all of that stuff.

When that literal proverb became the cake/eat thing that's when it lost it's meaning because that's not a good representation of everything/where to put mentality.

Now let me ask you this. The term "Cakewalk" as in: No problemo this job's a cakewalk! I take this as a combination of "walk in the park" meaning easily done and "having your cake and eating it too". So not only is this an easy task but you'll get everything you asked for. That's how I interpret "cakewalk" Analysis Kimo?

Okay here's another pisser: Long cell phone voicemail messages like "Hi Craig I know you're not in that's why I'm talking to your voicemail but you need to call me back on this issue so when you get this message can you please call me, I won't be in my office so you can call me on my cell phone but if it doesn't reach me leave a message and I'll call you back"

Now here's the short and sweet version: Craig...Kimo call my cell urgent! click.

Or my oldest boy's cell phone incoming message/monologue that's a minute long. My message on his voice mail: Shorten the greeting or you're paying for your cellphone minutes...dad click.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The term "Cakewalk" as in: No problemo this job's a cakewalk! I take this as a combination of "walk in the park" meaning easily done and "having your cake and eating it too". So not only is this an easy task but you'll get everything you asked for. That's how I interpret "cakewalk" Analysis Kimo?
                  noooononono. not a combo.
                  there is an actual and slightly intriguing, as it is drawn out, origin to this:

The cakewalk was originally a 19th-century dance, invented by African-Americans in the antebellum South. It was intended to satirize the stiff ballroom promenades of white plantation owners, who favored the rigidly formal dances of European high-society. Cakewalking slaves lampooned these stuffy moves by over-accentuating their high kicks, bows, and imaginary hat doffings, mixing the cartoonish gestures together with traditional African steps. Likely unaware of the dance's derisive roots, the whites often invited their slaves to participate in Sunday contests, to determine which dancers were most elegant and inventive. The winners would receive cake slices, a prize which gave birth to the dance's familiar name.

After Emancipation, the contest tradition continued in black communities; the Oxford English Dictionary dates the widespread adoption of "cakewalk" to the late 1870s. It was around this time that the cakewalk came to mean "easy"—not because the dance was particularly simple to do but rather because of its languid pace and association with weekend leisure.
                  There. the authoritative, plagarized be-all, end all... to it all.
                  (NOT end all, be all.)

Comment

Or my oldest boy's cell phone incoming message/monologue that's a minute long. My message on his voice mail: Shorten the greeting or you're paying for your cellphone minutes...dad click.

perfect.

My dearly departed dad's outgoing answering machine message:
                    "speak... at the beep."

Comment

Kimo you should start a thread describing the origins of most of today's sayings. Nowdays the word cakewalk denotes a program to digitally edit audio.

I like the speak at the beep I think I'll adopt that one, tell your dad thanks in your next prayer to him

Comment

Kimo you should start a thread describing the origins of most of today's sayings. Nowdays the word cakewalk denotes a program to digitally edit audio.

and when i wanna tell someone I going holoholo and get one cake, i just say:
                        "I goin edit audio, digitally"

I like the speak at the beep I think I'll adopt that one,
                        One of his favorite shows was "married with children". Apparently Dad borrowed that message from what Al Bundy had on HIS machine in da show...

tell your dad thanks in your next prayer to him
                        mahalos. Will do, next time ma bruddah and I go visit him Punchbowl.

Comment

It's a pain when you do leave a voicemail and the person doesn't check it, but instead just calls you back because they see they missed a call from you. Then you have to repeat what you said on the message. My wife is notorious for this!

Comment

I do that simply because to navigate thru my voice mail to check messages is harder than simply calling my wife back on the phone and have her tell me.

That's why it's better to just leave the essential information: Name and return phone number instead of your life story.

My kid left me a long message begging me to let him stay late at his friend's house. I called him back on his cell and was greeted with his long-winded incoming message. My answer was a short "NO" which meant, "Come home on time as scheduled or else priviledges will be suspended".

I hate wading thru a long voice mail for a simple answer, or request especially if I have several more messages to listen to.

OH YES now I know exactly what pisses me off: Teenagers who think they know it all! One of my teenager boys is 18 and he thinks he knows more about how the world ticks because I won't let him drive my car (my BMW that is). I'd love to tell him my butthole knows more about life than him.

But(t) for now I tell him life's full of surprizes and there's more to life than MTV, one surprize is when he gets a job (thinking he'll have zillions of dollars to spend on IPod stuff) there's a thing called TAXES and surprize #2: his very own cellphone bill. I want to take a picture of his face when he sees that, it's gonna be priceless!! Oh yeah...Booyah!

Comment

I'd love to tell him my butthole knows more about life than him.

haaaahahah.
                              too good.

Comment

K I M O! hmmmmm...someone using something and not putting it back in it's original location, leaving soda cans and cups around for others to put away, sexual predators especially of kids, drug dealers and Illegal Activities!
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X