This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WWJD? SMU Courts June Jones

It looks to be official, or will be very shortly. Jones is going to SMU. SB bulletin. I wish him well.

On another note, did anyone else get the sense that UH didn't really want him around anymore? They get the bowl money, the complainer goes away and they can all act like it was his fault - "He just didn't love us enough..." Boo freakin hoo.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
      It looks to be official, or will be very shortly. Jones is going to SMU. SB bulletin. I wish him well.

On another note, did anyone else get the sense that UH didn't really want him around anymore? They get the bowl money, the complainer goes away and they can all act like it was his fault - "He just didn't love us enough..." Boo freakin hoo.
      No, not really UH per se. I have a hunch it's between JJ and other executives (not coaches, although a few are probably glad to be free of him) within the AD that influenced him to leave.

I blame the governor.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        Oh, for crying out loud, guys. You make like this stuff is some big secret. These “rumors” have been posted on HT for more than four months now.
        wow. i must have been on vacation when this came out; definitely news to me. hmmmmm.
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I say no on Bill Callahan his own players in Oakland couldnt stand him and wanted him out and he was nearly thrown out in Nebraska too recently.

As for the next head coach, what do we want a young coach, an older experienced coach, someone local (i.e. Cal Lee or Norm Chow), etc.

June Jones gave a list of 5 possible replacements, I think Dick Tomey, Kevin Gilbride (who as an assistant coach I recall was punched in the face by Buddy Ryan years ago) , Norm chow, Cal Lee, cant recall the other.

But now that JJ is leaving, could Frazier be leaving as well then we have nobody to hire the next football coach either.

It is sad just a week ago everything seemed to be okay in Manoa and now everything is turned upside down so quickly.

Aj

Comment

• Re: Top 19 Reasons June Jones is Leaving Hawaii

Bob Wagner got fired a few years after the Holiday Bowl. Anything less than 12-0 and a BCS bid is not going to be acceptable. Maybe it's better to leave now?

Comment

This year at UH will be remembered for a great many things, some that are extraordinary. The bad things unfortunately were very avoidable.

In David McClain's statement on JJ leaving he says in part here,

"Finally, I also want to apologize to our fans and all of Hawaii for matters getting to this stage in the first place. Exceptional performance deserves exceptional recognition, and your University was slow to step up.

That won't happen again. My focus as your president is to keep the drama on the athletic field and in the stadium, where it belongs, and not at the ticket window, or in contract negotiations."
              I take this as a dig at the Athletic Administration. If this is true, Herman better be polishing up the resume.

Comment

this cracked me up!

I wonder how the concept of ohana is going to fly at SMU. He's going to need that in order to pull another "UH turnaround". I can hear their ha'a now "shabuya ROLL CALL! My name is Bradley, my dad is rich, and when I stick ya, you're gonna call me b•tch"

pax

Comment

anyone seen the pic they already have up at the smu.edu website? I was like "Dang they wasted no time already with the pic of June Jones next to a smu helmet!"

He looks really happy guys, so we need to find another coach. The only ones left are defective, the ranks of the fired, or coaching high school somewhere.

I totally agree with the Hawaii problem with getting behind it's teams. You think UH had it bad? Man, I went to HPU and for a few years we had basketball teams that should have been Div I (they even had 3 7-footers on one team) and would blow away teams by like 40-50 points a game, and had volleyball teams that won a few national titles in a row, but like 5 people would show up to pep rallys, and about as many to games. Even when they offered free pizza or transportation to away games like against BYUH, turnout was still low.
                  Last edited by Kittrick; January 7, 2008, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                    That's not all of it. I will say no more about this.
                    "Not all of it" is right, Mike! It's merely the tip of the iceberg.

Not that it makes any difference what half-baked rumors has been posted on internet message boards, blogs, or in some tell-all book. My point remains the same. Stories about June Jones' personal life and habits have been largely ignored and unreported on by the mainstream local media. By that, I mean the obvious suspects. (Advertiser. Star-Bulletin, KHON, KGMB, etc.) The sources for those rumors that you're pointing out don't carry anywhere near the same weight and exposure as the mainstream media outlets. Basically, June Jones is getting the same kind of kidglove treatment from the local media that John Wayne received for so many years while he was alive, with virtually all of his scandals and mis-steps being whitewashed by the press in order to perpetuate some clean, All-American image.

HT postings? You're talkin' apples and oranges, tunnl.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      Stories about June Jones' personal life and habits have been largely ignored and unreported on by the mainstream local media. By that, I mean the obvious suspects. (Advertiser. Star-Bulletin, KHON, KGMB, etc.)
                      I don't know what your personal agenda is, but the "mainstream local media" is wise enough to know that without PROOF, reporting mere rumors is considered slander (verbal) and libel (written).
                      Attorneys and courts don't look on that very kindly.
                      All we seem to have here is idle gossip. [/yawn]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        I don't know what your personal agenda is, but the "mainstream local media" is wise enough to know that without PROOF, reporting mere rumors is considered slander (verbal) and libel (written).
                        Attorneys and courts don't look on that very kindly.
                        Of course, "libel" isn't libel if it is the truth. Attorneys and courts won't consider any story to be defamatory if it is the verifiable truth, no matter how embarrassing the story may be.

(And I'm not talking about that HT posting that tunnl cited. There are other stories about JJ that could be reported and verified by the press,..... if they so chose. But they don't.)

"What's my personal agenda?" I'm here to post my opinions and give my two cents. What's yours?
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

• Re: Beating a dead horse

If you have PROOF of something, why don't you just come out and say it? (Including the proof, of course.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretender View Post
                            I take this as a dig at the Athletic Administration. If this is true, Herman better be polishing up the resume.
                            I hope McClain doesn't give Herman a chance to resign.

I want in his resume to show that he was fired from UH.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                              I'm wondering which few coaches that Mike_Lowery indicated are glad to be free of him.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

• Re: Beating a dead horse

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                If you have PROOF of something, why don't you just come out and say it? (Including the proof, of course.)
                                You want me to offer "proof of something?"

OKAY! I think we have to press "stop" here and "rewind" this thread a little bit, for those who are lost and have (unintentionally or otherwise) misconstrued my postings.

I started off by writing what amounted to a sort of "open letter" to June Jones, wishing him well on his future, but also, reminding him about all the special and unique things that he enjoyed for the last nine seasons at UH. In my initial post, it included things like allowing him to change the team nickname and logos. My next post was simply to add another item, which was the "sacred cow" treatment that he received from the mainstream local media when it came to personal matters. THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

I did not make my posting with the purpose of spreading gossip. And indeed, I did not write about any scandalous story about June Jones. I could write stuff that I have witnessed first-hand, as well as even repeating stories I have heard from other people that are even more eyebrow-raising. But I'm not gonna do it. Why? I repeat: It was never my intention to spread gossip about JJ. It was simply supposed to be a reminder about one of the benefits that he enjoyed while living and working here in Hawaii.

Keep in mind that the only bit of gossip that has appeared in this thread came not from me, but from someone else. (And a very stale one, at that.)

So Lika nui, if you're fishing for some "juicy gossip" about June Jones, sorry to disappoint you, bud, but you're not going to get it from me. If you're really hard up about hearing stuff, go make some friends with the folks who hang out at "the quarry."

Comment

Working...
                                X