• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii boating photos

Cruising under spinnaker:

Different boat, different spinnaker:

Different boat, no spinnaker:

And just one more to follow...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

And the happy race winners were:

Pau for now.

Comment

Okay, I'm curious -- is anyone looking at these, or am I just wasting Ryan's bandwidth and my own time? Not looking for praise or compliments here; just wondering if it's worth continuing the thread.

Comment

People, like me, can enjoy viewing the photos without feeling the need to reply. Hopefully you will continue to post your photos without feeling the need to read a reply.

Comment

There's a very funny 34-second video at this link that will show you the heretofore undiscovered secret of making a sailboat go fast.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Okay, I'm curious -- is anyone looking at these, or am I just wasting Ryan's bandwidth and my own time? Not looking for praise or compliments here; just wondering if it's worth continuing the thread.
              Loved the pics! Makes me wish that we had a boat (hint, hint).

Comment

Oh yes! Please continue.
                The boats, the sandbar, the water, the view, the bikinis, ...
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I absolutely love to see these pics. It's one of the first things I look for.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    I drop in and take a look at these from time to time. I don't have much to say about them except they are all very good photos (except for maybe the ones that were taken on the very voggy days). Certainly your new camera has improved the photos and you capture the spirit and action on the open sea very well.

The sandbar photos are interesting too. It puts land lubbers like myself there without having to be there!

Keep them coming. Some of us are not commenting but we are certainly looking.

As for the bandwidth thing, I think if you are remote hosting your photos (like me from Flickr.com and other websites), the bandwidth usage here at HT is negligible. And even if you are hosting the photos here, I don't think they are using up that much bandwidth...
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      People, like me, can enjoy viewing the photos without feeling the need to reply. Hopefully you will continue to post your photos without feeling the need to read a reply.
                      Sure, I can just watch the thread count and see how many views came after a post. No problem. And I too quite often don't have time to thank folks for their posts, like in the main Photo Sharing thread -- but I do love seeing them all!

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                      Loved the pics! Makes me wish that we had a boat (hint, hint).
                      Have you mentioned that to Santa Claus? Or are you hinting that you want to buy my boat? Or, are you offering to trade a pair of Jimmy Buffett tickets for some time on my boat?

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                      Oh yes! Please continue. The boats, the sandbar, the water, the view, the bikinis, ...
                      Did I mention that the 12x zoom lens is a wonderful thing? [nudge nudge, wink wink] [/snicker]

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                      I absolutely love to see these pics. It's one of the first things I look for.
                      Wow. Thanks!

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      The sandbar photos are interesting too. It puts land lubbers like myself there without having to be there!
                      My former offer still stands, Mel. Any time!

Comment

An absolutely spectacularly perfect day at the sandbar! Perfect weather, with just the perfect amount of wind, absolutely flat seas, and water that was just cool enough to feel refreshing every time I jumped in. I went way past the crowd and had total privacy and silence. Purrrrfect! (Friends came by after a few hours and stayed just long enough for us to share lunch.) Read a little, swam, did a few little projects on the boat, swam, paddled the kayak, swam, read some more, swam. Sweeeeet.
                        In this first photo at anchor, the water I'm in is only about 2-1/2' deep. You can see there are only a couple of waves breaking across the reef way out in the distance. And of course I had the kayak sticking out of the cockpit:

Kualoa Point and Chinaman's Hat (and the boat in the distance was my nearest neighbor!):

And seconds later, with the 12x zoom:

Just a few more coming up...
                        Last edited by LikaNui; July 13, 2008, 09:13 PM. Reason: Fixed a manini typo. I'm allergic to typos.

Comment

Notice the change in the color of the water, probably easiest to see on the left side of the photo and about 1/3 of the way up -- the light colored water is about 4' deep, then the darker water is a sudden dropoff to about 40':

Traffic jam, sandbar style:

More to come...

Comment

Coconut Island at the far left. The light colored water in the center is a coral reef covered by maybe 1' of water:

About 200 yards west of Coconut Island, some poor boat got too close to that same reef a long time ago. I used to know the story, but I've forgotten. Anybody know?:

Here's a closeup:

Just one more photo coming...

Comment

I wanna say this publicly and will PM you LikaNui...

Can I come?!!!

Beautiful photos and brings back my days as First Mate aboard the Barefoot 1 out a Hee'ia Kea Harbor. AKA. Captain Bob's Picnic Sail
                              Captain Bob's Picnic Sail
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Last one for today:

Over and out.

Comment

Working...
                                X