Hawaii boating photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii boating photos

Forgot to mention that all 26 photos from today are at this link. And the slideshow is at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Nine boats raced yesterday, with perfect winds starting at 12 knots and increasing to 15 to 18 knots. Here are three photos from the starting line:

These are "beer can" races, which means they're more for fun and learning experience than for serious hard-core racers. With that in mind, I started the season with a very long starting line, to give the boats more maneuvering room and avoid expensive accidents and crashes. As the season has gone on and the racers have gained experience, I've shortened the starting line a little bit each time and tightened things up, increasing their learning curve.
      The other part of the starting sequence is for them to learn how to time their approach to the line. (There are horns at 10 and 5 minutes before the start.) At the beginning of the season, some of the boats would be 2 or 3 minutes late to the line, but they're all improving now.
      The shorter start line and improved timing is making for some fun starting shots, like the first ones above.

More to follow...

Comment

This boat had a little problem right at the start. Can you see what the problem was?

Here's a couple of clues:

They actually sailed half of the race with that torn sail, before they were ready to drop it and raise a new one.
        More to follow...

Comment

I like this shot for the varying lighting in the mountains:

As the wind came up the boats heeled over, like this:

And this:

More to follow...

Comment

I thought it would be fun to take some head-on shots:

More head-on shots to follow...

Comment

Lastly, three more head-on shots:

Pau.

Comment

All I can say is.
                Wow, cool, shit, incredible, doesn't get any better,...

Choice shots!
                Thanks,
                MM
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                  All I can say is. Wow, cool, shit, incredible, doesn't get any better, ... Choice shots!
                  What, you owe me money or something? Seriously, thanks, MM! You'll see it first-hand when you get back from your trip.
                  Taking these photos is lots of fun, and a good challenge, too. I've gotta drive the boat, get into photo positions without hitting other boats and without interfering with the racing, handle the camera in bouncy water, frame the shots, and take the shots of moving boats from a moving boat... all at the exact same time. It's fun!
                  I'm curious. Of yesterday's pix, which one was your favorite?

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    All I can say is.
                    Wow, cool, shit, incredible, doesn't get any better,...

Choice shots!
                    Thanks,
                    MM
                    I have to agree with MM. Ourtrageously good!

Comment

So Lika Nui, are you racing at the same time while the photos are being taken or are you just keeping up to take the photos? These have plenty of action and captures the sport well.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                        I have to agree with MM. Ourtrageously good!
                        Wow, again. You guys are too kind!

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        So LikaNui, are you racing at the same time while the photos are being taken or are you just keeping up to take the photos? These have plenty of action and captures the sport well.
                        Thanks!
                        When I take photos I'm on my powerboat, serving as the Committee Boat. I go out about 45 minutes before the start and set the marks for the start/finish line (which means anchoring large round inflatable buoys in about 30' of water). Then I run the countdown sequence -- blowing three horns at the 10-minute warning, two horns at the 5-minute warning, then one long horn at the start. Then I instantly drop the horn and raise the camera and start shooting (but I also have to watch and make sure none of the boats are over the start line early, in which case they have to circle back and re-start).
                        After the start, I blast off to take photos of the individual boats by pulling up alongside them, slowing down to their speed, then taking the photos with one hand while steering my boat with the other hand. (Oh, and judging the background, the lighting, and zooming the lens in and out too.) Then I'll slow down and drop back, go behind them, and speed up and get shots from their other side.
                        Then I'll blast off at full speed (22 knots) to a different boat and go through the same sequence, and so forth. But I may not get them all on the first leg of the race course. If the fastest boats are getting close to the first mark (the yellow buoys you see in some of the photos), I blast up to the mark to get the photos of them rounding it. Then I'll blast off to shoot the individual boats I may have missed on the first leg. Whew!
                        But wait. There's more.
                        As the boats approach the finish line I have to blast back there and get exactly even with the line. I blow a horn at the exact moment they cross the line, then I look at my watch and pull up my clipboard and record their precise finish time, accurate down to the second. (And I have to maneuver my boat to stay in exactly the same position, since the wind and waves are trying tp push me around.) Once all the boats are finished, I calculate their true finish positions using a handicap system. Then I have to pull up the buoys that make the start/finish line, then head on back into the marina and tie up the boat, put everything away, wash it down to get rid of all the salt spray, and then I get to go to the clubhouse for the post-race barbecue and announcement of the results.
                        That's all there is to it. Easy!
                        (And on the days that I don't serve as Committee Boat, I'll go out on various of the sailboats as helmsman and coach. No photos on those days.)
                        But wait. There's still more.
                        After the barbecue I go home, download all the photos to my computer, upload them to PhotoBucket.com, send them to all the racers, then post some here as well.
                        And other than a rare cropping of a particular photo, they're totally untouched. No PhotoShop tricks or anything.
                        You're still invited to grab your cameras and come along some time, Mel. Remember, this is the ride:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          I'm curious. Of yesterday's pix, which one was your favorite?

Out of all of them.... this is my favorite shot.
                          Love the vessel, angle of heel, position of camera relative to subject,
                          the fact that she appears to be sailing away from land for a "Blue Water" journey, ...
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Yesterday was a great day for a race, with wind at 18 to 22 knots and gusting higher.
                            Here's a couple shots of the traffic jam at the starting line:

A few more to follow...

Comment

Check out the two birds in the bottom of this shot:

And I like this one, even though it's a little blurry:

Still a few more coming...

Comment

The race course yesterday (it changes every time) took the boats clear around Coconut Island. That's it on the right:

Almost done. Just a few more...

Comment

Working...
                                X