X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pzarquon
    replied
    Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

I had always thought Hilo made more sense than Kawaihae on several levels, from calmer seas to infrastructure, but it seems clear that Hawaii Superferry feels that extending the route around to the east side of the Big Island would add way too much travel time, and thereby probably cancel out other daily trips.

Kawaihae and the Kona side certainly are as strong a draw for interisland visitors as Hilo, if not moreso, and their infrastructure shortcomings are a painful reality independentof the expected (but overall minor) additional impact Superferry passengers would bring. It'd be nice if its arrival prompts upgrades at the port and elsewhere on the west side.

When we visit the Big Island, we often drive up to Hawi/Kapaau, so Kawaihae works just fine for us!

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    One thing with the extensions heading up into Kaumana onto Saddle Road there may be a reason for HSF coming to Hilo.
    Absolutely, Hilo has the roads and harbor infrastructure. Its just unfornate
    for us in West Hawaii, with poorer roads and harbor infrastructure that HSF
    wants to service Kawaihae.

One facet to this situation. The roadway infrastructure in Kawaihae and the
    surrounding area will improve. It is question of when, as there is a proposed
    roadway that would go from Mud Lane to Waimea Airport to Kawaihae Harbor.
    The problem is DHHL is holding up the Mud Lane to Waimea Airport portion.
    There may be burials in the Waimea Airport to Kawaihae Harbor portion.
    If things go all right, it may be another 6 years before this road begins construction.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    Yeah, you guys in Hilo should have it. For reasons I've already mentioned
    Hilo is ready for HSF right now. I have my doubts Kawaihae will ever be
    ready. Plus Hilo has better roads to handle the traffic influx from HSF.
    Unfortunately the military will probably ace us all out on this one .
    One thing with the extensions heading up into Kaumana onto Saddle Road there may be a reason for HSF coming to Hilo.

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    just curious, is the military contract a done deal? if so, anyone know how much is it worth?
    I haven't heard anything officially.But it wouldn't surprise me that the military
    contracts with HSF to ferry their equipment to Kawaihae.

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

And Aaron I'd love to see the Super Ferry service Hilo. It does make more sense that way however it makes less sense when taking the military into perspective.
    Yeah, you guys in Hilo should have it. For reasons I've already mentioned
    Hilo is ready for HSF right now. I have my doubts Kawaihae will ever be
    ready. Plus Hilo has better roads to handle the traffic influx from HSF.
    Unfortunately the military will probably ace us all out on this one .

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

BINGO! Give the gal a beer!

$45Million that's not something the State of Hawaii can easily afford unless some federal Block grants were involved primarily to service the military bases...just like H3!

Federal Block Grants were enabled to allow states to receive federal funding for individual public services. These grants allowed more direct funding of individual services rather than pork barrelling funds and hiding federal monies for unneccessary local projects.

And Aaron I'd love to see the Super Ferry service Hilo. It does make more sense that way however it makes less sense when taking the military into perspective.
    just curious, is the military contract a done deal? if so, anyone know how much is it worth?

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

BINGO! Give the gal a beer!

$45Million that's not something the State of Hawaii can easily afford unless some federal Block grants were involved primarily to service the military bases...just like H3!

Federal Block Grants were enabled to allow states to receive federal funding for individual public services. These grants allowed more direct funding of individual services rather than pork barrelling funds and hiding federal monies for unneccessary local projects.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

And that's the reason why I'm wondering if HSF's reasons for choosing Kawaihae over Hilo have to do more with a potential lucrative Defense Dept. contract than the more "commonsense" reasons to choose Hilo. Plus, isn't most of the farming done on the Hilo side anyway, so if there was going to be an economic benefit for the BI farmers using HSF to transport their produce and flowers, trucking everything over to the Kona side wouldn't make sense, either.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Aaron:
    Here's the Year 2020 Harbor Plan summary for Kawaihae. Can you tell how much of it is still being followed? See especially the discussion under "Passenger Terminals". Are they proposing to build a Pier 4 for Superferry?
    To be brutally honest, not much of that plan is being followed. When you compare
    Kawaihae harbor to Hilo harbor, it is like night and day. For example
    Kawaihae can get very windy, causing ocean swells. Thus during winter
    time it will be very hard for HSF to operate. Literally speaking, HSF has said
    they will simply not operate service to Kawaihae when the weather is poor.

Incidentally, Hilo harbor has actual passenger ship facilities (for the cruise
    ship) passengers. Aside the reasons already mentioned (about the channel
    between Maui and the Big island), It simply makes more sense to service
    Hilo over Kawaihae.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Aaron:
    Here's the Year 2020 Harbor Plan summary for Kawaihae. Can you tell how much of it is still being followed? See especially the discussion under "Passenger Terminals". Are they proposing to build a Pier 4 for Superferry?

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Well, Kona is also closer to Pohakuloa too, isn't it? I read somewhere that the State and DoD would consider building a dirt road for the use of military equipment (Stryker Brigade) that gets ferried from Honolulu to the BI for training. According to this article,
    Actually there is an existing tank trail from Kawaihae to Pohakuloa.It is evidently going to be upgraded as a part of Stryker brigrade being based in Hawaii. Anyway military currently uses Kawaihae harbor to ferry their equipment from Oahu.

But like I said, the infrastructure (Both roadway and harbor) are already in place Hilo. Actually as far as I recall, the state appropriated 45 million dollars to upgrade Hilo harbor last legislative session.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    If the HSF does catch on, It is my understanding that the ferry could carry
    more than 100 vehicles. That being said, in my opinion Kawaihae is nowhere
    ready to handle HSF.Hilo already has the infrastructure in place, be it roads
    and harbor facilities. On the other hand I'd hate to imagine seeing the traffic
    jams at the Akoni Pule Hwy/ Queen Kaahumanu Highway intersection.

If HSF switched to Hilo, I would be dramatically less opposed to their service.
    But based upon what they say on their website (Since removed)

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/fares/routes.html

"Why we don’t go to Hilo: A Honolulu to Hilo route would take 6 hours (vs. 4 to Kawaihae) and must operate through the rough Alenuihaha Channel. As a result, Hilo would cost more to serve, and would often be uncomfortably rough."
    Well, Kona is also closer to Pohakuloa too, isn't it? I read somewhere that the State and DoD would consider building a dirt road for the use of military equipment (Stryker Brigade) that gets ferried from Honolulu to the BI for training. According to this article,
    The $40 million is expected to be repaid through Hawai‘i taxes should HSF not generate enough revenue to pay back the state. This is an inflammatory touch-point, as HSF is a private enterprise. And HSF has also cut a deal with the military to move troops, including the entire Stryker Brigade, between O‘ahu and the Big Island for training exercises. The Superferry’s sister ship, the Westpac Express, has been on a long-term lease by the U.S. military since 2001 to shuttle Marines between Okinawa and mainland Japan.
    Lehman plans a similar use for HSF, with Stryker Brigade use on a regular basis and daily shuttling of military equipment.
    Miulang

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

If the HSF does catch on, It is my understanding that the ferry could carry
    more than 100 vehicles. That being said, in my opinion Kawaihae is nowhere
    ready to handle HSF.Hilo already has the infrastructure in place, be it roads
    and harbor facilities. On the other hand I'd hate to imagine seeing the traffic
    jams at the Akoni Pule Hwy/ Queen Kaahumanu Highway intersection.

If HSF switched to Hilo, I would be dramatically less opposed to their service.
    But based upon what they say on their website (Since removed)

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/fares/routes.html

"Why we don’t go to Hilo: A Honolulu to Hilo route would take 6 hours (vs. 4 to Kawaihae) and must operate through the rough Alenuihaha Channel. As a result, Hilo would cost more to serve, and would often be uncomfortably rough."

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

I read with interest in the SB about the latest "grumblings" on the superferry and was astonished to see that the main issue presented at the Kona discussion was about the influx of traffic from 100 vehicles? That's not a whole lot when you consider not all are leaving at once.

And then there's the environmental impact from Kauai. Super Ferry officials indicated that vehicles with muddy tires and such will not be allowed to board the vessel.

So maybe a tire washer (like those found at some construction sites for heavy vehicles to drive thru so the mud doesn't get onto the public roadways) should be incorporated into the boarding scheme, maybe even a car/truck wash.

I've transported three cars from Oahu to Hilo in the past 3-years on YB and not once was I required to have clean wheels. No one inspected the treads on my tires for seeds nor was my car fumigated from the cockaroaches were inside (my kid's happy meals left unattended overnight). For all YB cared, they could care less and they're doing it as we speak.

If the super ferry will need an EIS then guess what, the ramifications will make it more expensive for YB to ship cars as well. Remember what's good for the goose...

And if whale spotters are being required on all SF trips, then they should be required on ALL meritime vessels including the YB barges.

The cost of interisland cargo shipping will go up with these kinds of mandates. As YB says, they are the lifeline of the Hawaiian islands, and those who are protesting the SF are gonna making that lifeline more expensive.

BTW a good environmental engineer friend of mine tells me the engineering firm he's working for has been involved in preparing some kind of "documents" that cover SF EIS issues. He didn't want to elaborate but let's just say environmental concerns are being addressed in this project of his.

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

The Maui News had two articles on HSF yesterday here and here in regards to the public hearing that happened on Maui and agriculture inspection regulations pertaining to HSF.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X