• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Konaguy
    replied
    Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Originally posted by mel
    Read that to mean "Maui Democrat legislators".
    Whatever....

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

Originally posted by Aaron S
    I for one am happy that the Legislature is playing hardball with the Superferry.

Read that to mean "Maui Democrat legislators".

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

I think if Maui County voters had to choose between being able to ship more goods to Maui v. shipping more tourists and cars to Maui, the choice would be overwhelming: It's more important to the residents to have goods available, and now with Young Bros getting out of the non containerized shipping business on Maui, it will mean more competition, but where will those other shippers be able to offload their shipments?

I thought Ma'alaea would be a more strategic location for a ferry terminal, but I discovered that there's been hue and cry over further development of that area due to EPA concerns.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

Originally posted by Miulang
    Here we go again...the "uppity" elected officials from Maui stirring up trouble for Superferry representatives in a hearing in the Legislature yesterday...
    I for one am happy that the Legislature is playing hardball with the Superferry.
    They've been evasive and unwilling to address the communities concerns about lack of infrastructure to support the service (on the neighbor islands), the potential negative effects on the environment etc.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Here we go again...the "uppity" elected officials from Maui stirring up trouble for Superferry representatives in a hearing in the Legislature yesterday...

Hey! No Porta-potties for the ferry terminals on the Neighbor Islands!

"...Garibaldi opened with a lengthy PowerPoint update, in which it was obvious that Kahului Harbor will be, by far, the most challenging of the state’s four ports planned for ferry services. As earlier reported in The Maui News, officials plan to create a "split operation" involving Pier 2, used by Young Brothers, and a parking lot now occupied by Valley Isle Motors on Kaahumanu Avenue.

A planned "terminal" probably will be a tent, and portable restrooms will be set up in the parking lot where passengers assemble. In the same area, outbound vehicles will line up to undergo security and agricultural inspections, then drive along the edge of the container yard parallel to Puunene Avenue, cross a newly constructed bridge and continue down a roadway on existing pavement to the end of Pier 2 where another "waiting area" will be created, according to Garibaldi. Vehicles will be loaded and unloaded on a floating barge that the state will build at the end of the pier.

Tsutsui questioned the types of facilities planned. Garibaldi said it hadn’t been determined what type of "tent structure" would be used, but that portable restrooms "like the ones used for cruise ship passengers" will be put in place.

"Not single portapotties, but much nicer," he said.

Garibaldi said it’s difficult to get federal moneys for facilities at this point, even though money is out there, because it’s like "the chicken and the egg."

"Let’s get something into service that makes sense," he said, before investing a lot into permanent infrastructure...."

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Ha! Even though Garibaldi calls it "purely coincidental", the fact that he finally produced the names of the 5 Maui advisory committee members today makes it appear as though it was in response to the Legislature's threats to withhold half of the $20 million the State had committed to support the Stooperferry (most notably, representatives Shan Tsutsui and Kalani English from Maui). Why didn't he also release the names of the advisory board members on the Big Island and Kauai at the same time? Hmmmm???? Do the Legislators from those constituencies have to rabble rouse too in order to find out who's representing them? Yeah, the people of Maui may be more vocal about the goings on of the Superferry, but it behooves taxpayers of the other islands to also keep their eyes on this private business that wants some of your tax money.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• kilikopela
    replied

we want prenup...we want prenup...yeeah!

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui
    And the only way to have clout then is to have a majority vote on the Board. And that's just not going to happen.
    The lenders will always have the majority vote. It's just that simple.
    No, they don't need a majority on the Board to make a difference. And since the State (and you, the taxpayer) are helping subsidize this venture, the least the Superferry Board could do is give the voters a say in the business, even though it might only be one voice out of many. Where I have an issue is with the fact that the taxpayers are helping subsidize this whole thing. If JF Lehman and the other businesses who are funding the enterprise were the only ones who were paying for this (ncluding offering to help pay for the needed improvements to the harbors) that would be one thing. But if they are supposed to be in "partnership" with the State for harbor improvements, stonewalling isn't going to win them any friends in the Legislature, as is witnessed by the veiled threat by some in the Legislature to withhold half of what the State promised unless Superferry comes up with some answers.

I hope you don't go into a "marriage" like this thinking that you're going to get divorced anyway (metaphorically speaking), so why bother telling your future spouse that you intend to only marry them for their money and then plan to divorce them once you know for sure you're going to get 50% of the assets?

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

(...) also promise to include representatives from that advisory board or other community leaders on the voting Board of Directors (...) The only way to have clout is to be at the same table as the boys with the big sticks.
    And the only way to have clout then is to have a majority vote on the Board. And that's just not going to happen.
    The lenders will always have the majority vote. It's just that simple.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by kilikopela
    anyone see this?
    Yep. Scan back several messages and you'll see that that's what started this recent round of discussions.

Leave a comment:

• kilikopela
    replied

anyone see this?
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...604060359.html

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui
    I'm sorry, Miulang, but I have to say that while that would be nice, it's simply naive. Of course the Board will be comprised of "people who run large corporations"! Many of those people on the Board are the ones who are providing millions and millions of dollars to finance the project. (The two ferries alone cost, what, $40 million each?) And like every other corporation on the planet, the investors are on the Board to help protect their investment. Anyone who complains about those people being on the Board is just silly.
    As I keep saying, there are indeed questions to be answered, but it behooves us to be fair and reasonable.
    Being fair and reasonable means Hawai'i Superferry should disclose formally ALL the names of the people on their advisory board pronto. They should be conferring with the Legislature and there should be sunshine on their process. I don't trust them to do the "right" thing because we ALL know they're only in it for the money. That's the role of business. And it's the role of the citizens if that business is partially subsidized by their tax money to be able to know what their money is buying.

I'm not being silly; I'm just asking for due diligence, which you can't have if one of the parties refuses full disclosure, which is what Hawai'i Stooperferry has been doing of late. If Garibaldi et al really were akamai, they would be forthcoming with all the names on the advisory board NOW and then also promise to include representatives from that advisory board or other community leaders on the voting Board of Directors once the project is in business to provide the checks and balances to ensure that the project doesn't end up only either supporting big business or the military rather than the local tax payers of Hawai'i. Recommendations from advisory boards will do squat if the boys with the big sticks don't agree with those recommendations anyway. The only way to have clout is to be at the same table as the boys with the big sticks.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

If you take a gander at the Superferry Board of Directors, you will note that it is loaded with people who run large corporations like ML&P, Grove Farm and a bunch of people who work for JF Lehman. It would be far more transparent if they put some community leaders on THIS board too
    I'm sorry, Miulang, but I have to say that while that would be nice, it's simply naive. Of course the Board will be comprised of "people who run large corporations"! Many of those people on the Board are the ones who are providing millions and millions of dollars to finance the project. (The two ferries alone cost, what, $40 million each?) And like every other corporation on the planet, the investors are on the Board to help protect their investment. Anyone who complains about those people being on the Board is just silly.
    As I keep saying, there are indeed questions to be answered, but it behooves us to be fair and reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• poinographer
    replied

There are at least four known members of the community advisory board at this time. See this post on my blog.

How many total members on the community advisory board? Dunno. How many more to add? Dunno. They've met a few times already. When do they meet, what did they talk about, what do they intend to talk about in the future? Dunno.

A series of private meeting with unknown participants and no public input (or agenda, or minutes) is supposed to satisfy the concerns of the opponents? Big surprise that they are not satisfied.

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

As far as I read, the Super Ferry folks have become increasingly evasive
    in addressing the communities concerns ? What do they have to hide ?
    I believe the people expressing concerns have legitimate reason to say
    something. Sure maybe the inter island airlines and barges are behind it ?

But until there is proof that is case,I'll believe that these community concerns
    are valid. Especially from my view the increased traffic, inadequate port infrastructure and possibility of alien species being transported between the islands are on the top of list as concerns. It doesn't help that the super ferry
    folks are being evasive in addressing these issues.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X