X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miulang
    replied
    Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

I'm not the only one who thinks it odd that some of the members of the advisory board have "outted" themselves without Garibaldi et al officially acknowledging that they are indeed members of the advisory board. A blog entry in Poinography came up with an interesting observation: maybe the 2 members who have publicly identified themselves as members of the advisory board are the ONLY members currently on the advisory board, and if that's the case, it would be really interesting to be a fly on the wall of the conference room where they had their first two meetings!

Miulang

P.S. If you take a gander at the Superferry Board of Directors, you will note that it is loaded with people who run large corporations like ML&P, Grove Farm and a bunch of people who work for JF Lehman. It would be far more transparent if they put some community leaders on THIS board too, where they would have some clout, rather than only on "advisory boards" which, to me, are only window dressing to appease the rabble but who have no power to influence anything. Also note the Navy connection of many of the Board members. It was rumored that Hawaii Superferry was negotiating with the DoD to provide passage for troops and equipment to get from Oahu to Pohakuloa. And if they got such a contract, would non military passengers have to travel on a standby basis?
    Last edited by Miulang; April 6, 2006, 05:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by Miulang
    No they HAVEN'T released the names of the current advisory board members yet (at least not on Maui, anyway).The names of the people on the advisory board that are mentioned is because those individuals themselves acknowledged that they are on that board.
    Those two sentences contradict each other.

But at least you admit that the names are indeed out there.

I have a sneaky feeling that some of the people chosen might be perceived by the community as having some vested interest --as in financial--in the success of the Superferry.
    You're implying that the SuperFerry officials and the advisory board members are just plain stupid, which is ludicrous. It's inherently obvious that anyone and everyone on those boards will have their backgrounds thoroughly checked by government types and by the media. One would have to be an idiot to have a vested interested and still join the advisory board.
    And while we're on the 'vested interest' topic... it's already been shown that some of the SuperFerry's most vocal detractors have a vested interest in seeing the SuperFerry not come to pass.
    Interisland airlines and interisland barge companies head the list of detractors. And it's not the whales they're worried about.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui
    That's not correct, Miulang. They have released the names of those people. It's just that they're adding more people to the various advisory boards, so the lists are understandably incomplete.
    While there may be legitmate questions and concerns on the SuperFerry issue, let's be fair to both sides of the topic.
    No they HAVEN'T released the names of the current advisory board members yet (at least not on Maui, anyway).The names of the people on the advisory board that are mentioned is because those individuals themselves acknowledged that they are on that board. Stooperferry won't officially release the list until ALL the members have been chosen, and who knows when that will happen. If I was Garibaldi, I wouldn't make that list known until I was forced to do so, because I have a sneaky feeling that some of the people chosen might be perceived by the community as having some vested interest--as in financial--in the success of the Superferry. Why else would they be reluctant to release the names of the people already on the advisory board? That board was supposed to have met twice already.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; April 6, 2006, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by Miulang
    Then they claim that they have set up community panels on each island to act as an advisory board and then refuse to say who those people are
    That's not correct, Miulang. They have released the names of those people. It's just that they're adding more people to the various advisory boards, so the lists are understandably incomplete.
    While there may be legitmate questions and concerns on the SuperFerry issue, let's be fair to both sides of the topic.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Obviously something fishy is going on. On Maui, there was a public hearing scheduled, but the Superferry representatives declined to attend, claiming that they were invited at the last minute (um, why would you hold a public hearing about the Superferry and NOT invite representatives of the Superferry to be there to answer questions?). Then they claim that they have set up community panels on each island to act as an advisory board and then refuse to say who those people are (what are they afraid of? That irate local citizens are going to threaten bodily harm to those selected community members?) I think if the State is going to appropriate $20 million to help ensure that there is adequate infrastructure to support the Superferry that the citizens in each of the communities are entitled to have answers to their concerns and also should have the right to know who Garibaldi et al are choosing to have as representatives on that advisory board from that community.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied

Gee, what happened to the Superferry? Folks at the State Legislature are wondering, too. They're saying they will cut back on the funds allocated for harbors improvement if the Superferry people aren't more responsive to the public's concerns.

Leave a comment:

• oggboy
    replied

SORRY, IT`S QM2..... (TRY FOCUS OGGBOY)

Leave a comment:

• oggboy
    replied

Just got back from Lahaina, checking out the QE2, braddah the bugga is huge. Drive up to Lahainaluna High School and the site of the ship is unreal. Kona bound next, check it out guy`s. UNREAL!!!! OGGBOY

Leave a comment:

• oggboy
    replied

QE 2, is on its way to town, first stop Honolulu, Second stop Lahaina, then on to the Big Island.
    Maybe try stop Kahului Harbor instead, try blend in with NCL cruise ships, Matson and YB barge`s. LoLo, Honolulu Harbor built to handle, Kahului Harbor, NO CAN!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Ian Lind points to Doug White who points to an editorial in the Maui News about the slow progress of the Superferry.
    Oh the tangled web we weave, when we actively try to deceive! The people of Maui are still wondering where the Ferry is going to find space to dock in Kahului without impacting critical needs, like the barges that bring in supplies for residents and cruise line tourists that bring the bucks and the canoe clubs which practice there.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied

Ian Lind points to Doug White who points to an editorial in the Maui News about the slow progress of the Superferry.

Leave a comment:

• oggboy
    replied

Miulang,
    Everybody thinking the same way, why the hell did the new mall mgnt. remove the stair case. You would think in case of fire those step`s would come in handy. This new owners are the same owners that run Ala Moana. Go figure, anyway it`s been 4 years since Ruby`s came to town and I must say still going strong. I know the owners want to open shop on Oahu and are waiting for either the beachwalk area (Outrigger Hotel location) or the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. Both locations are under extensive renovations.
    OGGBOY

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by oggboy
    The nightmare has already begun. When the NCL ship`s dock it`s not only the foot traffic, but taxis, buses, rent-a-cars that causes a major traffic problem fronting the Maui Mall all along Kaahumanu Ave. Puunene Ave. and Haleakala Highway.
    About 10 years ago plans we`re for expanding Kahului Harbor to add Pier 3...
    So much for planning, I think they still planning!!!!CAN!!!!
    2007, one more NCL cruiseliner docking in Kahului... 2008, SuperFerry comes to town. Maybe we should have the QE2 come holo-holo too!!!!
    Eh, OggBoy: Just think about all da extra customers going get at Ruby's and Coho Grill, not to mention upstairs in the Food Court and at Sushi Go! Sam Choy going be kicking himself for vacating that space so Ruby's could have a restaurant in there. The only thing I don't understand about the remodel of Kaahumanu Center was why they took out that staircase that led from the street level to the food court. Now you gotta go all the way inside the mall and up da escalators for grind at McDs.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; January 23, 2006, 06:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oggboy
    replied

The nightmare has already begun. When the NCL ship`s dock it`s not only the foot traffic, but taxis, buses, rent-a-cars that causes a major traffic problem fronting the Maui Mall all along Kaahumanu Ave. Puunene Ave. and Haleakala Highway.
    About 10 years ago plans we`re for expanding Kahului Harbor to add Pier 3...
    So much for planning, I think they still planning!!!!CAN!!!!
    2007, one more NCL cruiseliner docking in Kahului... 2008, SuperFerry comes to town. Maybe we should have the QE2 come holo-holo too!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by oggboy
    Traffic stay already screwed along the Kaahumanu Ave. when the NCL Ship`s dock at Kahului Harbor. Going be one nightmare when SuperFerry arrives. Again, lack off planning, go for the big buck`s............

CAN?????/CAN!!!!!!
    Yeah, imagine...when the NCL cruise ship docks, you're only talking about foot traffic. When the Superferry docks, it'll mean cars AND foot traffic.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

Working...
X