This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Are You GO for $39?

I didn't appreciate him insinuating that I was stupid, hence why I responded
    the way I did.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
      Whatever,you HONOLULU INT'L AIRPORT TRAILER TRASH . You obviously want to take this to the mudslinging round. I never called you dumb, an idiot, etc. By your post above thats what you implied about me. Why don't you really crawl under the stone you crawled from, you AQ/HA lover...You really must work them...Keep on gouging the flying public of Hawaii...

By the way the folks on the mainland HAVE CHOICES. They can drive for example. We cannot drive between the islands.Thus your comparisons with the mainland prices are null and void.
      Ahhh, but Aaron, are you forgetting about the Superferry? It'll be a great deal for you IF you want to holoholo to Honolulu. Wanna go from Kona to Nawiliwili? You got about $200 one way to spend? And probably 2 days to get there?

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Ahhh, but Aaron, are you forgetting about the Superferry? It'll be a great deal for you IF you want to holoholo to Honolulu. Wanna go from Kona to Nawiliwili? You got about $200 one way to spend? And probably 2 days to get there?

Miulang
        Don't get me started Besides that until HSF materializes,my argument about
        lack of choices will still be valid.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by aloha-anon
          Mesa has NOT improved competition in Hawaii. In fact, they ran off investors from what would have been a very well run and LEGITIMATE competition, "FlyHi" by James Delano of Lion Coffee. Mesa will find some excuse to pack up and leave soon. If prices are too high for you after Mesa leaves, you can thank their CEO for the scorched earth policy they left behind, and scaring off what would have been a upright outfit, Delano's FlyHi. Mesa isnt doing anybody in Hawaii any favors, especially you guys, the consumers.
          Knowing that Mesa is very very interested in the internal Mainland China market as has been reported in numerous stories, my guess is that within 5 years or so, they will be concentrating most of their efforts on that market once they can clear with the regulators in China and in Washington, DC. The Hawai'i market is small potatoes compared to the amount of revenue they could make flying the skies over Mainland China where they would have even fewer competitors (all those millions of middle class people! All those miles in between towns! ). In the meantime, though, it is conceivable that one of the legacy carriers might drop out of the interisland market and just fly the long haul Mainland to Hawai'i leg and code share for the local hops on the non-direct flights, which I think ultimately is what Mesa is hoping for...that's how they've pulled themselves out of the dumpster around the rest of the country.

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; July 3, 2006, 05:55 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I didn't appreciate him insinuating that I was stupid, hence why I responded
            the way I did.
            I never said you were stupid, all I said was Miulang HAS A BRAIN and apprently she is using it! She can click her mouse and search for airfares on the mainland and she did a great job posting some of her discoveries. I was praising her, nothing more.

You have made up your mind otherwise, no matter what evidence is presented before you, and while I would never call you stupid I could go as far as saying you are willingly ignorant.

If Mesa charges no less than $400 (DOUBLE what Ornstein claims Hawaiian was overcharging, and like a 500% increase from the $79 round trips) on similar length routes across the USA who the heck do they think they are kidding?

Well besides you Konaguy.
            GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

I never said you were stupid, all I said was Miulang HAS A BRAIN and apprently she is using it! She can click her mouse and search for airfares on the mainland and she did a great job posting some of her discoveries. I was praising her, nothing more.

You have made up your mind otherwise, no matter what evidence is presented before you, and while I would never call you stupid I could go as far as saying you are willingly ignorant.

If Mesa charges no less than $400 (DOUBLE what Ornstein claims Hawaiian was overcharging, and like a 500% increase from the $79 round trips) on similar length routes across the USA who the heck do they think they are kidding?

Well besides you Konaguy.
              You conviently ignored my point that people on the mainland have choices
              to get from point a to point b. If the airfare is too expensive, they can drive.
              We cannot drive interisland (yet), so our only choice is to fly. I can remember
              I could fly 60.00 round trip between Honolulu and Kona, now its 200.00
              roundtrip. To me, you are simply defending Aloha/Hawaiians price gouging since thats who you work for, one or the other (or maybe both).

And yes you were insinuating I am stupid..nuff said.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

You conviently ignored my point that people on the mainland have choices
                to get from point a to point b. If the airfare is too expensive, they can drive.
                We cannot drive interisland (yet), so our only choice is to fly. I can remember
                I could fly 60.00 round trip between Honolulu and Kona, now its 200.00
                roundtrip. To me, you are simply defending Aloha/Hawaiians price gouging since thats who you work for, one or the other (or maybe both).

And yes you were insinuating I am stupid..nuff said.
                You lost me now... If I can choose to fuel up my dodge truck and swing down the road a couple hundred miles cheaper than it costs to fly how does that validate HIGHER prices?

Dude, stop me at anytime, but lets say they built a bridge to Maui from Honolulu so we could just drive, wouldn't you think it would make airline ticket prices cheaper? So now knowing that, how can HIGHER ticket prices (up to 1600% higher being charged by Mesa) on the mainland where you have THE CHOICE to drive, suddenly equate HA & AQ are gouging us?

Please walk me through it I must be a slow learner.
                GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Please walk me through it I must be a slow learner.

You figure it out. I'm wasting my time trying to explain it to you. Yeah
                  I already know, your going to say if I can't back it up, my opinion is crap.
                  Besides that why should I try to explain it to someone who works for
                  HA/AQ. In other words, you already have your mind already made up.
                  You want to protect the government supported duopoly from any and
                  all competition.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Aaron, your disdain for anything related to Aloha Airlines or Hawaiian Airlines is, perhaps, clouding your thinking. Though it's obvious aloha-anon is hardly an objective party, either, that last question is a fair one.

Your main point is that the entry of Go (sorry, I meant, go!) has forced our duopoly carriers to lower prices after gouging us for years. Aloha-anon is saying go! airfares represent predatory pricing, in that they're unreasonably low (most certainly not profitable at $39), and out of line with what go! parent Mesa Air charges for similar short-haul flights on the mainland. A 400-mile flight is $400 in Arizona but $40 here? Clearly something has to account for that, and while we have higher labor, fuel, and other costs, they don't add up to a 1000 percent difference.

You subsequently said that a key distinction is that people flying from Phoenix to Vegas or wherever have the option to drive rather than fly, which is true. And that people in Hawaii don't have that option, which is also true. But. I think it's fair to say that airfares would be cheaper where airlines have to compete against highways. That all other things being equal, go!/Mesa airfares should be lower in Arizona than in Hawaii, not ten times higher.

Personally, I think inflated prices on the mainland are indeed part of the way Mesa is able to offer unrealistically low prices here. I agree with those who sense the long-term objective is to drain one of our two incumbent carriers into insolvency, then bring prices back into line with reality.

Not just in Hawaii, but anywhere, I think sub-$100 airfares for almost any flight are unrealistic these days. Even before fuel prices have gone through the roof, as they have, I felt this to be the case. They're a great gimmick, and have served ambitious, smaller carriers like Southwest well... but in the long term, the market will equalize, either via higher prices, or bankruptcies.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      Aaron, your disdain for anything related to Aloha Airlines or Hawaiian Airlines is, perhaps, clouding your thinking. Though it's obvious aloha-anon is hardly an objective party, either, that last question is a fair one.
                      Yes I have GREAT disdain for HA/AQ,as yes they've been gouging us for years. HA/AQ is in the group as HEI,Oceanic Time Warner Cable, Young Brothers etc.Charging us unreasonable prices just because they can, since there is no viable competition. Thus raising the cost of living for everyone who lives here.From my view, competition is good and should be embraced.Unlike what we have now,a communist like economy, where there is literally only a single source for critical things like electricity, telephone,shipping etc. No wonder Hawaii was called the "Peoples Republic Of Hawaii"

As for my argument, I stand by it 150%. Mainland prices have no bearing here
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Interesting press release from Mesa on June 23. They won some "essential air service" routes in Nebraska and Missouri for 2 years AND got some federal subsidies in the process. At the close of trading this afternoon, MESA was selling at 9.79 (down almost 3% from Monday). Hawaiian closed at 3.24 (down about 2.5%). Here is an interesting industry analysis of the 3-way competition in interisland flights. Based on that analysis (that anything over $50/OW could be profitable), if go! raised its prices to $60 O/W and HA and and AQ lowered their prices to the same amount, could everyone still make a profit? And perhaps more importantly to HA and AQ, would travelers choose the legacy carriers over go! if the fares were the same? What would the "value add" for Mesa be in that case? That they fly out of the commuter terminals which are less hassle than the main interisland terminals? And if the fares on the airlines were set around $60-70 O/W, would there be many Neighbor Island people who'd still want to use Superferry?

Miulang

P.S. If airfare stabilized to somewhere around $60-70 O/W, I think for Neighbor Island travelers it would be a wash between Superferry and flying. I could rent a car for about $35/day at my destination, fly to my destination in minutes rather than hours, and save wear and tear on my car, for about the same price as taking Superferry with my car. Now the economics of interisland travel really starts to get interesting!
                        Last edited by Miulang; July 5, 2006, 07:32 PM.

Comment

THANK YOU pzarquon! THREAD CLOSED!

Originally posted by pzarquon

Your main point is that the entry of Go (sorry, I meant, go!) has forced our duopoly carriers to lower prices after gouging us for years. Aloha-anon is saying go! airfares represent predatory pricing, in that they're unreasonably low (most certainly not profitable at $39), and out of line with what go! parent Mesa Air charges for similar short-haul flights on the mainland. A 400-mile flight is $400 in Arizona but $40 here? Clearly something has to account for that, and while we have higher labor, fuel, and other costs, they don't add up to a 1000 percent difference.

You subsequently said that a key distinction is that people flying from Phoenix to Vegas or wherever have the option to drive rather than fly, which is true. And that people in Hawaii don't have that option, which is also true. But. I think it's fair to say that airfares would be cheaper where airlines have to compete against highways. That all other things being equal, go!/Mesa airfares should be lower in Arizona than in Hawaii, not ten times higher.

Personally, I think inflated prices on the mainland are indeed part of the way Mesa is able to offer unrealistically low prices here. I agree with those who sense the long-term objective is to drain one of our two incumbent carriers into insolvency, then bring prices back into line with reality.

Not just in Hawaii, but anywhere, I think sub-$100 airfares for almost any flight are unrealistic these days. Even before fuel prices have gone through the roof, as they have, I felt this to be the case. They're a great gimmick, and have served ambitious, smaller carriers like Southwest well... but in the long term, the market will equalize, either via higher prices, or bankruptcies.
                          GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

THANK YOU pzarquon! THREAD CLOSED!
                            Whatever....I'll never fly Hawaiian Airlines ever again...
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Interesting that this story says the DOT ranks Hawaiian as the most "on time" airline of all national carriers for the month of June. It also ranks that carrier as the 4th best at not losing baggage. Hmmm...I don't know how they can make that second claim. Everytime I fly Hawaiian anywhere, it takes at least a half hour---many times longer---to see my bags come off that carousel! (Lesson learned: don't check any baggage).

I think one way they achieve their "on time" record is because they must pad the posted flying times. The last few times I've flown between the Mainland and Hawai'i, they've always landed 5 or 10 minutes ahead of schedule, which created a problem when we landed because a gate wasn't ready and we had to stay cooped up in the plane for an extra 20 minutes or so for them to get a gate cleared for arrival.

Miulang

Comment

Oh my konaguy... are you gonna LOVE me.

I work for Hawaiian Air, I work for Oceanic Time Warner Cable, I work for the US Government (Air Force Reserve)... AND on top of all that, I bring Hawaii the very best in 'alternative' kine concert listings.

Am I going to hell for this?
                                Probably.

oh well. For now at least, that's how I'm able to feed my wife and 3 kids.
                                >>> Of course, If anybody wants to offer me a better job and allow me to get away from those organizations, I'm all ears!
                                I have a ton of interesting work experience and a college degree.

Anyway, back to gouging, etc.
                                I'm sorry to hear that people aren't happy but I can surely guarantee that none of us, not even a wee little HAL employee like me, has all the facts in front of us...

so here's an idea: take a deep breath, and if you feel mistreated by one or both... don't fly Aloha or Hawaiian, choose Island Air, Pacific Wings, private plane, Go!, or some other option (who cares)
                                ...just grab the cheapest seat ya can and come to a killer concert!!

need to know when and where?
                                let me invite you to check out my personal favorite... 808shows.com !!!

have a nice day.

ps - ranking "on-time" flights and lost baggage. I don't really know for sure but I don't think the on-time rankings involve baggage and here's why it can (and often does) take a while to get baggage: staffing. Hundreds of bags per flight are actually handled by only a 2-3 people per shift out on the flightline and then brought all the way from overseas terminal to the interisland terminal where it is dropped off to no more than 3 people assigned to work baggage claim (like me). It's not easy. Besides, lost and speedy delivery are different. We try to make sure everything gets on the correct flight and we try to return it as quickly as we can, or at least I do! So, should you choose to fly hawaiian air, and it takes us a while to immediately process all those bags... please bare with us, we truly are doing our best... Mahalo.
                                Last edited by 808shows.com; July 7, 2006, 08:05 PM.
                                808shows.com / 808PhotoVault.com / Hawaiian Express Records...

Comment

Working...
                                X