X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Are You GO for $39?

Re-read what I wrote, please:

"Well Hawaiian and Aloha are full of crap too. 200.00 for a roundtrip ticket
    interisland, gimme a break.Both AQ and HA are simply a greedy duopoly
    screwing the consumers. By that, is a FACT, not an opinion."

I was stating that it is FACT that AQ/HA is a greedy duopoly. They've
    been ripping us off for years. Explain to my why whenever a third airline comes
    into the interisland market, prices drop ? When the third airline disappears, rates
    rise again.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

I did a search as aloha-anon suggested and found a route between Aspen (ASE) and Vail (EGE), CO, which are about 44 miles apart from each other. That route is served by United Express/Mesa/Skywest. Maybe because it's the comparative wealth of the people who live/play in both of those towns (although I'm sure many have their own private planes) but a R/T is almost $800! Instead of being able to go in a direct line between ASE and EGE, you also have to fly from ASE--->DEN and then from DEN--->EGE, which is kinda out of the way, down south. The flights would also take 4 hours with the layover in DEN. Heh. It'd be a helluva lot cheaper and faster to hop in the car and drive the distance!

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; July 1, 2006, 06:12 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The major difference between flying between points on the mainland and flying between points on the diffrent neighbor islands is the fact that mainlanders have options to choose whether or not to fly in the first place. If they want to, they can simply hop in their cars and drive from point A to B.

Hawaii residents have long enjoyed a tradition of having our 2 and sometimes 3 local airlines offer us affordable pricing (under $100 R/T) for many years. After 2001, the two major "local" (owned mostly by mainland investors) legacy airlines took away our coupons and wacked the public with expensive change fees that totally discourage locals from flying neighbor island as they did before.

I don't care what Mesa charges on the mainland. If they can bring the fares down here for now, then great. I know I will be flying interisland more this year than I did since the end of 2001.

The local legacy airlines could be good neighbors if they offered us coupons again and eliminate the change fees, which never occured in the past. And of course keep the prices of a round trip low. That is what the interisland public wants. Not $115 one way fares to Hilo and Kona or even $115 segment fares from Lihue to HNL to Hilo, OGG or Kona. That hurts.

While I haven't bought a Go! ticket yet, I am flying for sure on Hawaiian for $79 RT next month. And if the $39 for any airline is still available I probably will make at least 2 or 3 more trips before the year is out.

Last year I only travelled to Hilo twice.

A third, competitive airline is good for consumers. Now is the best time to be flying neighbor islands as long as you can get a good deal.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The unfortunate thing for the local flyers is that for years now, the high price of interisland seats on the two main interisland carriers has been subsidizing the cost for Mainland travellers from the West Coast travelling to Hawai'i.

A R/T ticket from SEA to OGG on HA (with a stop to change planes in HNL but on the same day) is about $850. A multicity ticket (SEA-->stay in HNL for a couple of days, HNL-->OGG for a couple of days, then return to HNL and then SEA) costs about $912. The difference is $62 to island hop between Oahu and Maui and opposed to going from the Mainland to OGG. For someone who is just booking a flight in between HNL and OGG without the Mainland leg, that same R/T interisland is $150. So even with my simple math, I'd say the locals are getting screwed by the two main carriers in their efforts to please the touristas.

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; July 1, 2006, 07:46 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

How much could AQ and HA realistically charge interisland folks (knowing that Mainland island hoppers only pay half of what the locals do) and still stay in business? Could they keep offering $79 one way fares and still make money?

Miulang

Comment

Typical response aloha-anon, let Hawaiian and Aloha continue gouge the flying
                public of Hawaii. On top of that instead of responding to my statement you post more rhetoric.Typical.... Shall I say you work for HA/AQ and are more than a bit biased towards them.
                Last edited by Konaguy; July 1, 2006, 10:05 PM.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                  Re-read what I wrote, please:

"Well Hawaiian and Aloha are full of crap too. 200.00 for a roundtrip ticket
                  interisland, gimme a break.Both AQ and HA are simply a greedy duopoly
                  screwing the consumers. By that, is a FACT, not an opinion."

I was stating that it is FACT that AQ/HA is a greedy duopoly. They've
                  been ripping us off for years. Explain to my why whenever a third airline comes
                  into the interisland market, prices drop ? When the third airline disappears, rates
                  rise again.
                  So what you are saying is that because HA & AQ have shown that they will lose money for a season, protecting their market against interlopers, that when they finally raise their rates to break even or a slight profit this constitutes PROOF to you that they are therefore a duopoly and ripping you off?

I dont get it? Were you not able to find a comparable rate for Mesa ANYWHERE in the US? Muilang found some at what was it? $800 for a comparable distance!!! How much more is that compared to $39? My math sucks but that seem to be about a 1600% INCREASE in what Mesa is charging out here. So again, is it OK for Mesa to screw the people of Colorado and Arizona in order to subsidize your God given right to have a cheap airfarfe between Kona and Honolulu?

1600% INCREASE
                  konaguy. Do you know what the Mesa CEO will say to you when AQ & HA are out of business and he is the only game in town? (This will never happen but in an alternate reality lets say it did just for fun) I can imagine this CEO would say something like "What are you going to do? Swim to the Big Island?"
                  GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

*sigh* its not even worth it to respond to you. Why don't you crawl back under the rock you came from. So it is a God given right to have HA/AQ gouge us ?
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

*sigh* its not even worth it to respond to you. Why don't you crawl back under the rock you came from. So it is a God given right to have HA/AQ gouge us ?
                      Of course, if you cant argue in good faith than attack me personally. Works for my wife all the time!

Show us any city Mesa serves under $200 R/T... Thats all you needed to provide to shut me up. Cant do it... I know.. Its OK to lose an argument once in a while. Now go ahead and call me some other nasty word. I can handle it...
                      GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Originally posted by aloha-anon
                        Of course, if you cant argue in good faith than attack me personally. Works for my wife all the time!

Show us any city Mesa serves under $200 R/T... Thats all you needed to provide to shut me up. Cant do it... I know.. Its OK to lose an argument once in a while. Now go ahead and call me some other nasty word. I can handle it...
                        Whatever...dream on...You refuse to discredit my assertion that HA/AQ is
                        gouging us. How in the heck can there be competition, when AQ/HA charge
                        the same rates to the consumers. Its simply a greedy duopoly. Which you
                        are very easily willing to support (probably because you work for HA/AQ).

Go on live in your sheltered would, dream on that you beat lil ole me.

Edit: To me its not a question if Mesa is practicing predatory pricing.At least
                        they are keeping HA/AQ from charging outrageous interisland airfares.Heck
                        it probably doesn't matter to you, as you probably get to fly free.
                        Last edited by Konaguy; July 2, 2006, 09:15 AM.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Another example: the distance between Charlotte, NC and Greensboro, NC is 44 miles. 3 airlines fly that route (United, America West and USAir). For a nonstop between the 2 cities, the R/T price is around $450. And if you have 1 or 2 stops, it costs way more (up to around $650 with a stop at Dulles). I always used to think that the more plane changes on a trip the cheaper the flight, but apparently it's now cheaper to fly direct than it is to change planes somewhere along the way.

Miulang

Comment

Whatever...dream on...You refuse to discredit my assertion that HA/AQ is gouging us.
                            I dont have to discredit you... Miulang is doing it for me. She also very recently thought HA & AQ were gouging the public but alas,... she has a brain and she can use it! She is able to think for herself and not believe the lies of Mesa just because she wants cheap tickets.

Mesa has NOT improved competition in Hawaii. In fact, they ran off investors from what would have been a very well run and LEGITIMATE competition, "FlyHi" by James Delano of Lion Coffee. Mesa will find some excuse to pack up and leave soon. If prices are too high for you after Mesa leaves, you can thank their CEO for the scorched earth policy they left behind, and scaring off what would have been a upright outfit, Delano's FlyHi. Mesa isnt doing anybody in Hawaii any favors, especially you guys, the consumers.
                            GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Originally posted by aloha-anon
                              I dont have to discredit you... Miulang is doing it for me. She also very recently thought HA & AQ were gouging the public but alas,... she has a brain and she can use it! She is able to think for herself and not believe the lies of Mesa just because she wants cheap tickets.

Whatever,you HONOLULU INT'L AIRPORT TRAILER TRASH . You obviously want to take this to the mudslinging round. I never called you dumb, an idiot, etc. By your post above thats what you implied about me. Why don't you really crawl under the stone you crawled from, you AQ/HA lover...You really must work them...Keep on gouging the flying public of Hawaii...

By the way the folks on the mainland HAVE CHOICES. They can drive for example. We cannot drive between the islands.Thus your comparisons with the mainland prices are null and void.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Aaron, please back off the personal attacks. You previously said you've given up responding, so I suggest you stick with that resolution.

Comment

Working...
                                X