Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Bullying

Originally posted by street_fighter
    Hi everyone... I am in grade 11 and moving from Ontario Canada to Maui. I'm a white male by the way. I have heard a few bad stories about the locals beating on whites (don't know if its true ^_^), and was wondering how my school was going to be for this sort of thing. I will probably be attending 'HP Baldwin high school' in Wailuku. Is the bullying bad in Hawaii? How should I react? What should I expect? Any advice?

Thanks, (and sorry if I have strayed from the topic >_<).
    You never know...

I found that most the local girls seemed to like the new "haole" guys in school

Comment

maybe they shouldn't throw money on the problem. just more attention on it. maybe grade students with behavior as a component. if you bully then you get worse grades. also get a terrible beating.

Comment

Charter school thrashed by Public students... teachers injured...etc...

"With Just Six Female Teachers, One Male Teacher, No Gates and No Money for Security, Our Charter School Was Destroyed, Our Kids and Teachers Were Beaten When Gang of Students from Nearby Public School Took Over Our Campus; Where Were the Police?"

This happened on the Big Island last week...

Read more about the incident at the Hawaiireporter.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....1-ff99516703a2

Sounds pretty violent... I'm amazed there hasn't been much media coverage!!!

Comment

Re: Charter school thrashed by Public students... teachers injured...etc...

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          I'm amazed there hasn't been much media coverage!!!
          There's more to life than Hawaii Reporter. They publish almost anything submitted, and thus are an excellent outlet for some voices that might not otherwise be heard (such as Kimberly Patterson's letter on behalf of the school), but one person's commentary isn't exactly "coverage."

Waters of Life has struggled for a while, and its challenges are much bigger than this specific incident. For some, it seems the attack was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
          Last edited by pzarquon; March 28, 2006, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            Sounds pretty violent... I'm amazed there hasn't been much media coverage!!!
            It was in the Hawai'i Tribune-Herald....
            http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...ws/local03.txt
            http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...ws/local03.txt
            http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...ws/local02.txt

There also an incident at the St. Joseph School in Hilo....
            http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...ws/local04.txt
            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              There's more to life than Hawaii Reporter. They publish almost anything submitted, and thus are an excellent outlet for some voices that might not otherwise be heard (such as Kimberly Patterson's letter on behalf of the school), but one person's commentary isn't exactly "coverage."

Waters of Life has struggled for a while, and its challenges are much bigger than this specific incident. For some, it seems the attack was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
              Thanks for the links PZ... I don't know how I overlooked them.

I work for DOE and none of us in my section had heard of the incident as of today!
              Last edited by damontucker; March 28, 2006, 03:19 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Suspensions should be immediate for the perpetrators, pending justice before the court. These animals should be removed from the population of students at Keaau High School. It is true that a few bad apples will spoil the whole barrel. The influence of these disgusting people upon their peers MUST be stopped completely.

AND THEN, the screwed up parents of these wicked children should be held civilly liable for the actions of their demon seed offspring.

The only way to stop this kind of behavior is to make certain the punishment is way over the top. WAY OVER THE TOP !!

For the 3 main girls who have already been identified and charged, I would say finishing their adolescence in a Juvenile Detention Center would be getting off easy. Follow that with about 10 years prison, to let them work all that anger out of their system.

I'm as curious as a cat about WHO the perps are. Let's see some names so that we know which families are breeding psycho-criminals. I bet somebody at HT knows a name or two. Coconut wireless must be red hot on this one.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Here an update to this thread I started.....
                  As some of you know I work at a public(High) school here in Hilo. Well ,two days before the new school year, the staff and teachers had a joint workshop on school bullying and fighting. It even made the local paper as a pilot project for the DOE. Two days later on the first day of school, in front of students during recess , two CUSTODIANS got into a fight and had to be broken up by the Principal( whose office the fight was in front of).
                  The two dummies are currently on suspended w/out pay, they were said to be harassing and teasing each other prior to the fight. How Ironic is that!
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                    Punched in the arm is one thing, but being seriously pounded on by a "few" guys at once is another matter. It was hard being one of the few haole boys going to Lincoln, Stevenson and Roosevelt- (Grad '79). I had to take Karate to learn to defend myself and even then it didn't stop till I hid an aluminum baseball bat in the bushes and put the "Ring Leader" in the hospital. And almost got charged with assault myself till we (parents and I) proved the previous harassment through copies of written complaints to the schools. I don't know how to help bullies get over their low-self esteem. But they feel the need to prove their worth or manliness through intimidation of others. Some sort of psychological help directly for the offenders would prove to be most helpful in my opinion.
                    Not only on this island. When I was going to school in Florida... more recently in the 90's (elementry school)... sorry menehune man...dont mean to rub it in... It didn't matter where you were from. If you were light skinned.. you were bullied.

I have a feeling my two boys will feel the wrath here. I know some ignorant a**hole parents will pass on the senseless bigotry to their children and pick on my children for being "haole". If so they will learn to lay the smack down and curse in spanish at the same time. LMAO!!!! "Hijo de la gran puta, come culo, malparido". ROFL

Comment

In my case it was racial / skintone related, but for others it may be socio-economic, attire, intelligence, study or work habits, or any of a few more attributes that make us individuals and different from eachother.

Bullies pick on the perceived differences, because they don't pick on what they consider to be their "own" kind.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

"We have fights everyone once in a while. There were only a couple this year. As for bullying, someone calling you a stupid haole. (In the lower grade levels) it sucked. There used to be fights between locals and nonlocals. Now everyone smokes pot together; it's more peaceful now."
                        http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...ws/local02.txt
                        &
                        http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...ws/local01.txt

Poor kids these days
                        Last edited by damontucker; November 13, 2006, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Teachers have been stripped of their power to discipline in school.

Students know the worst consequence is suspension, which they want.

The chaos in schools will escalate until society realizes that the ACLU has been wrong about a few things concerning public school.

It's another small facet of the cog diss that is at the root of liberalism in general.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post

The chaos in schools will escalate until society realizes that the ACLU has been wrong about a few things concerning public school.

It's another small facet of the cog diss that is at the root of liberalism in general.
                            can you please break this down to a manoa level please

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post

What we need to do is go back to the old school days and beat the bully until they realize violence is not acceptable.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

An article this morning reports a trend in less violence. Hope so.
                                http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...02240356/1001/

Hawaii's schools trying to reduce violence

Schools across Hawai'i vary in the way they report incidents of violence, resulting in some absurd statistics on assaults on campus.

CRIME IN OUR SCHOOLS

Schools with the highest number of incidents in 2007:

Disorderly conduct

Castle High 247

Pahoa H/I 217

Wash. Middle 163

Dole Middle 162

Assault

Kapa'a Middle 69

Kamakahelei Mid 45

Waipahu High 44

Waiakea Inter 33

Illicit drugs*

Kekaulike High 37

Hilo High 35

Kaua'i High 33

Kealakehe High Pearl City High 28

* The Illicit drugs category includes alcohol, marijuana and other drugs

Source: state Department of Education

"Hilo High School and a handful of other schools around the state have dramatically reduced the number of serious assaults on campus in recent years, a pattern that suggests anti-bullying, anti-harassment and anti-discrimination programs can have an impact.

While the successes are encouraging, there is still much more to be done, state statistics show. Many schools report persistently high numbers of assaults on campus, and assault tallies seem to be heading in the wrong direction at other schools.

Serious assaults more than doubled at King Intermediate, for example, and tripled at Central Middle from the 2005-2006 school year to last year, according to reported violations of the schools' disciplinary code, known as Chapter 19...."
                                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X