Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone remember Mr. Kuwada?

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

I can see it now -- old Mr. Kuwada going to Fisher Hawaii in August and picking up pens, and paper, and blackboard supplies, and a new wooden paddle... cuz he broke the old one on that damn Yamada kid's okole back in May.
    Looking back, I think I prefer Mr. Okuma and his paddle over tiny 4th grade teacher Mr. Chang's heavy buckled belt. Mr. Chang somehow got stuck teaching the rowdy boys from Waimanalo and Sandy Beach-Kalama Valley areas, and when he couldn't take their BS any more, he'd let that leather belt fly, and as it made human contact, we'd see all those kolohe kids start running for their lives as he chased them out of the classroom.

Ah the memories...

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      I just got a Flahback! I got Paddled in 7th grade (Kalakaua) by Mrs. Fong (Apple Butt) in the backroom. It was a BIG Paddle with ukapila names written on it. I swear she enjoyed using it on us kids! It hurt. I cried. My tears flowed as I signed my name on the Paddle.

It didn't deter me from being naughty.

I went back many times afta for more hits in the backroom.

I became imune and eventually LAUGHED each time thereafter.

Pissed her offed even more.

Yep, das how I learned how to concentrate on odda things instead of the pain.

Auntie Lynn
      She made you sign your own name!!!??? Was dat before, or after?
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
        Looking back, I think I prefer Mr. Okuma and his paddle over tiny 4th grade teacher Mr. Chang's heavy buckled belt. Mr. Chang somehow got stuck teaching the rowdy boys from Waimanalo and Sandy Beach-Kalama Valley areas, and when he couldn't take their BS any more, he'd let that leather belt fly, and as it made human contact, we'd see all those kolohe kids start running for their lives as he chased them out of the classroom.

Ah the memories...
        Wait a minute....I've been gone along time, but...Sandy beach is nowhere near Kalama Valley...which school was dis, anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
          Wait a minute....I've been gone along time, but...Sandy beach is nowhere near Kalama Valley...which school was dis, anyways?
          Koko Head Elementary, I think Lurkah said. I always thought it was an uneasy mix, the Hawaii Kai kids and the Waimānalo kids in the same school district.

Comment

Went to a Catholic elementary school in the 60's which provide the needed school supplies to the students (provided via the tution that the parents paid to the school). One of the supplies that each student had was a 12 inch plastic ruler which was sometimes used by the nuns to slap the open hand of a student that did something bad like swear or talked out of turn or made trouble in class.

After a few of slaps the ruler would split apart and become useless, however one student in our class had brought his own wooden ruler which the nun would ask to use from time to time.

High School on the other hand (public in the 1970's) seemed kind of tame by comparsion. I never seen any of the teachers there hit a student, one came close through, he went through the motions of getting a mis-behaving student up to the front of the class, ready to whack him in the rear end (with pants still on, have to give credit to the teacher for that) and at the last second the teacher made a funny face to the rest of class and decided not to whack him.

Another incident in the same school year by another teacher and another student words were exchanged (I wasn't paying attention to what happen then) and the next thing I know the teacher is chasing the student around the shop. I don't think the teacher caught him but I think he got banned from the shop.

A third teacher had a novel solution to those students who did minor bad things like chew gum, said bad words or come in late to class. He would charge them a penality, I can't remember if it was a quarter or dime but after the semester was over, the funds that he collected went into buying food for the class.
            Last edited by helen; May 17, 2006, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Wooden rulers. Brrr. What was scary were the ones with the metal edges.

Comment

Koko Head Elementary, I think Lurkah said. I always thought it was an uneasy mix, the Hawaii Kai kids and the Waimānalo kids in the same school district.
                Umm...hehehe. This was back before Hawaii Kai was built. That whole area was a huge fish pond called Kuapa Pond and the surrounding area was all piggeries and flower farms. Nii Nursery is one of the last remnants from that era. Where the mix really clashed was with the kids from Waimanalo and the kids from the upper-class Portlock area where Henry J. Kaiser's sprawling pink-colored estate would eventually be built for a whopping then-jaw-dropping price of one million dollars.

Susie, Kalama Valley is mauka of Sandy Beach. You must be thinking of another valley.
                Last edited by lurkah; May 17, 2006, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Umm...hehehe. This was back before Hawaii Kai was built.
                  Whoops. Ho Lurkah, you makule then, eh?

Where the mix really clashed was with the kids from Waimanalo and the kids from the upper-class Portlock area where Henry J. Kaiser's pink-colored estate would eventually be built for a whopping then-jaw-dropping price of one million dollars.
                  Clashed how? Any good stories?

Comment

Umm...hehehe. This was back before Hawaii Kai was built. That whole area was a huge fish pond called Kuapa Pond and the surrounding area was all piggeries and flower farms. Nii Nursery is one of the last remnants from that era. Where the mix really clashed was with the kids from Waimanalo and the kids from the upper-class Portlock area where Henry J. Kaiser's sprawling pink-colored estate would eventually be built for a whopping then-jaw-dropping price of one million dollars.

Susie, Kalama Valley is mauka of Sandy Beach. You must be thinking of another valley.
                    True....I was thinking of Palolo...shows how long it's been, huh!? Did they really mix them up wid the Waimanalo kids? What, never had one school in Waimanalo, back then? Still, it seems as if it would've been easier to send them over to Kailua. Or maybe....when was that straight road, the one that goes past Olomana Golf Links, and Enchanted Lakes, to that round fountain, by the Shriner's Hospital, built? Maybe it WAS shorter, to go by Blowhole, and all. Hoo Boy...talk about clash of cultures!

Comment

When John Cruz sings "We Do It Island Style" live, he adds this verse:

I used to live Palolo, long time when I was small
                      Used to hang out at the beach, at the Waikiki Wall
                      Then we moved to Waimanalo, shoots, I had to change schools
                      Sandy Beach, brah, you know the rules

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Whoops. Ho Lurkah, you makule then, eh?

Clashed how? Any good stories?
                        Seasoned.

Well, the most memorable thing that comes to mind involved a fight (that's what you meant, right? ) at Kalani High School. It started off between this one fearless haole kid and a local hawaiian kid from Waimanalo. The fight that started out between just the two of them somehow rapidly escalated with others jumping in and moving onto the Kalani High School football field where the Waimanalo kid's entire family -- mother, father, siblings, cousins, everybody -- all ended up jumping in and turned it into a full scale riot with the cops needing to be called in to break it up.

I think the message that family wanted to get out was, you mess with one from that family, and you take them all on. Well, it didn't end there. Fights went on for days after that because the kids from that Waimanalo family were actually troublemakers and tried to flaunt that "family solidarity" the wrong way.

Not me. I already wen learn my lesson from the "board of education".

Comment

I remember one fight like dat...smaller version...during a funeral. The two sides was fighting so hard, dey fell into the hole where the coffin had just been lowered into. The funeral home called the cops, and dey came and broke up the fight, pulled the guys outta da hole, helped to rearrange da flowers, and the service continued.

Speaking of funeral homes....you know deres a 'Dodo Mortuary' in Hilo, right. Well, in England, 'dead as a dodo' is an expression used to describe the deceased. I once took a British friend to vist the Big Isle...she laughed herself sick, when she saw the funeral home. She even took a picture of it, back to London.

This same friend, after being given (wasn't me!) some local pakalolo, which was NOT the same as the watered-down British stuff (I'm told)...passed by the old Caterpillar tractor, in Mildred DeLima's Hilo pasture, with the remark, "Wow...that's going to be one heck of a buttrfly, one day".

Comment

She made you sign your own name!!!??? Was dat before, or after?
                            Hello? Afta girlfriend. Afta!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              Hello? Afta girlfriend. Afta!

Auntie Lynn
                              Hoo! Well...maybe dass better dan before....Imagine, crying from the anticipation, and having to sign before....less cruel, aftah.

What happened when you wen home? Did you get another, from your Dad?

Comment

Hoo! Well...maybe dass better dan before....Imagine, crying from the anticipation, and having to sign before....less cruel, aftah.

What happened when you wen home? Did you get another, from your Dad?
                                Are you nuts? Why would I tell my Dad? I may be pupule but I ain't stupid!

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X