Anyone remember Mr. Kuwada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone remember Mr. Kuwada?

Glad I could share some memories with another Waialuan. I remember all those things fondly...especially Jerry's with their 5 for $1 hamburgers and their plate lunches with brown gravy and hot corn....making me hungry.

I'll check about the yearbooks. As for the dress code it was still in effect when I got there. No shorts for the girls, no spaghetti straps, etc. Can't say the same for now though. The kids look like rag-a-muffins.

Waialua Store? Are you referring to the old Fujioka store? Remember Koga Store and the theatre??? The memories come flooding back....

Unfortunately, my Papa and my Gram have passed away but they shared some wonderful memories with me while they were alive. Remember Sato barbershop near Liliuokalani Church? or even Fujimura store and their ono ono shave ice? How about Nakai's? across from Haleiwa theatre?????

Thanks for reminiscing with me. It warms my heart!

Comment

I didn't sleep, last night...just stayed up, and went back.

I remember ALL. I wonder if Sea View Inn still does those delicious double crust banana pies? And can you still buy a newborn calf, at Lani Moo, for $5.00?

Did you take band, at school? Waialua had the best equipped bandroom (looking at it, in hindsight)(no get that, over here). I played the trumpet...I can still remember Jon Mauer on the Tuba, Emily Santiago on the drums, and Donna Osbourne playing the flute. Jon's Dad used to run a picture-framing shop in Haleiwa, and years later, I found Jon working at the gas station by the Haleiwa bridge.

When I was going to Waialua, the boys all sat on one side of the cafeteria, and the girls on the other. I never saw that, in any other school that I went to. The only ones that ever sat together, were two cousins, Billy Spillyard, and Lani. Nobody knew what to make of them, they went everywhere together. I envied them their confidence.

Haleiwa had the most spectacular Bon Dance, at the temple. I was always so jealous of the Japanese kids, who got to go to Japanese School, too...never had that, for anybody else.

Do you remember the pony farm, out on the way to the dairy? It had a real carosel, and rides, just like EK Fernandez, plus, pony rides. We never went for the ponies, as my Mom was running the Mokuleia Stables, but the rides were good fun.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wow, Susie! You sure are bringing back memories....Just yesterday I took my son and nephews to Haleiwa and then to Waimea Bay...passed Pony Farm and was telling them all about that place and how we used to ride the ponies when we were kids....

Sea View Inn doesn't make the pies anymore but there is Sunnyside in Wahiawa that makes pies that rival those from Sea View Inn - including the famed banana pie and apple pie.

I did indeed play in the band - the flute.....our bandroom rivaled none! Mr. Kusaka was the band instructor then.

Keep sharing with me....and I'll help to refresh yours as well....

aloha, ahui hou!

Comment

Working...
        X