X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Record-breaking rains

Originally posted by timkona
    [...]If u so rich, why u no smot?
    If you mean rich in the financial sense, then I can easily justify my lack of smotness. And based on already being a 'senior citizen' I'm gonna keep enjoying that incredibly dumb view outside my condo! What will be, will be.

Comment

Da rain is coming down again! I notice mold and mildew starting to grow around the window ledges. I've never seen that all the years I've lived in any of my homes. I took it out with clorax and water.

Outside puddles so I made sure I emptied whatever I could to prevent other problems and asked my neighbors to do the same.

No can wash clothes due to the horrible smell if you hang. I can't grumble - get plenty other people in worse situations than I.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/dengue/
        Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Da rain is coming down again! I notice mold and mildew starting to grow around the window ledges. I've never seen that all the years I've lived in any of my homes. I took it out with clorax and water.

Outside puddles so I made sure I emptied whatever I could to prevent other problems and asked my neighbors to do the same.

No can wash clothes due to the horrible smell if you hang. I can't grumble - get plenty other people in worse situations than I.

Auntie Lynn
        Yeah, Tita. Make sure you get all da mold out of there. Mold lidat can cause asthma, Da worse kine is dakine you cannot see (dakine that grows insai da walls). And everybody should dump out standing water from old tires, buckets, etc. outside because of da mosquitos. On Maui last year, da mosquitos wen go cause dengue fever, which makes people very ill.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          Da rain is coming down again![...]
          It's still dry on the far west end. Dunno about Maddy's neck 'o the west woods, tho'. No rain at all but it was overcast all day. Didn't keep the hard core beachcombers inside.

Comment

Lightning and thunder but only light rain last night on the windward side. More L&T now (around 7:30am Sunday) and very heavy rain; supposed to stay like this all day.
            Again.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

We had tornadoes on Friday morning. Took a roof off a Kealakekua home. Smashed a barn with some donkeys inside. And HAIL was falling. That's right, HAIL. Too weird.

The trick to the mold and mildew is a room in your house with a dehumidifier in it. We use the room as the closet, and to store photos to keep them from sticking together, and videotapes, and of course all our clothing, and art supplies, and yearly decorations (xmas, etc) and a bunch of other stuff that will get ruined in the humidity.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

The rain took awhile to get from town to Makaha but it made it during the middle of the night...and now! It's comin' down!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                  The trick to the mold and mildew is a room in your house with a dehumidifier in it.
                  Now, that is a good idea. I can't keep the mildew out of my shower stall no matter what I do. It's one of those huge, glassed-in showers you could rent to a family on a budget. Poor Kimo has to clean it constantly -- I gave up. I'm going to have to re-caulk some areas where the mildew stains won't come out. Yuck.

ETA: Yeah, it's pouring rain, so I'm hitting HT hard!
                  Last edited by MadAzza; March 26, 2006, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                    Now, that is a good idea. I can't keep the mildew out of my shower stall no matter what I do. It's one of those huge, glassed-in showers you could rent to a family on a budget. Poor Kimo has to clean it constantly -- I gave up. I'm going to have to re-caulk some areas where the mildew stains won't come out. Yuck.
                    Maddy...have you tried one of those daily soap scum and mildew preventer sprays? My entire bathroom is probably smaller than your shower plus it has no windows and no venting fan! The spray (there are different brands) has completely eliminated any soap scum build up or mildew problem.

Comment

I don't like the idea of spraying a shower stall daily. Add up all those minutes to hours over a year and I would say it far, far surpasses the time spent on getting a shower clean by occasional real cleaning... plus, You can't help but be continually inhaling chemicals. the fine mist will over time affect yer lungs.
                      I see that daily spray stuff as an incredible "we sure pulled the wool over their eyes again with this unnessessary product and wee'z makin milliunz!" foisted upon a fairly unsuspecting consumeristic nation by corporate multinationals that just know we can't live without the next big thing even tho we wuz fine for generations without it. and our landfills can't get along without the extra packaging too, so, hey. Buy,buy,buy! and buh-by! to our earth...
                      Like those plugiddin, pluggidin things. which heat up and disperse globules of oil chemicals and synthetic fragrance and perfumes into the air. So a person walks thru a room, breathing this ultrafine mist and has the mistaken impression; "My oh My! this room is clean and fresh!"
                      Oh and that febreeze junk. DON'T get me started.

tellya what works:

X14 Mildew spray once in a while. It has a base of bleach. at least smells like it.
                      And that lil plastic bleach pen. Good for getting rid of spots on yer white shirts as well as making grout lines all spic n span.
                      and then elbow grease often.
                      Last edited by kimo55; March 26, 2006, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        I don't like the idea of spraying a shower stall daily. Add up all those minutes to hours over a year and I would say it far, far surpasses the time spent on getting a shower clean by occasional real cleaning... plus, You can't help but be continually inhaling chemicals. the fine mist will over time affect yer lungs.
                        I see that daily spray stuff as an incredible "we sure pulled the wool over their eyes again with this unnessessary product and wee'z makin milliunz!" foisted upon a fairly unsuspecting consumeristic nation by corporate multinationals that just know we can't live without the next big thing even tho we wuz fine for generations without it. and our landfills can't get along without the extra packaging too, so, hey. Buy,buy,buy! and buh-by! to our earth...
                        Like those plugiddin, pluggidin things. which heat up and disperse globules of oil chemicals and synthetic fragrance and perfumes into the air. So a person walks thru a room, breathing this ultrafine mist and has the mistaken impression; "My oh My! this room is clean and fresh!"
                        Oh and that febreeze junk. DON'T get me started.

tellya what works:

X14 Mildew spray once in a while. It has a base of bleach. at least smells like it.
                        And that lil plastic bleach pen. Good for getting rid of spots on yer white shirts as well as making grout lines all spic n span.
                        and then elbow grease often.
                        Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks! I'm guessing it takes 10 seconds to spray my small shower. It's been a godsend for me because, you see, I left out an important part of the 'equation' in my prior post. That is, fibromyalgia. Elbow grease isn't an option anymore. Adapting is. The shower spray works great and is one of the very few commercially made products I continue to buy. (The other is Dawn dishwashing detergent that I also use in place of laundry detergent and hand soap!) And, yes, there is the issue of inhaling the mist. But, after lots and lots of practice, I'm real good at holding my breath for 10 seconds! And, my condo has great ventilation even if the bathroom doesn't! Nope...I don't, in the least, see it as a "we sure pulled the wool over their eyes again with this unnessessary product and wee'z makin milliunz!" kinda product at all. Not for me anyway.

Oh...and when a kid puked all over my waiting room carpet, Febreze was the only product that allowed any of us to continue working in the office 'til a carpet cleaner could get there 3 days later. The first line of defense was baking soda. It's usefulness was very short lived. I haven't used the Febreze since but I won't throw it out!

Sometimes blanket statements suffocate instead of educate.

Comment

wel, then if ya told me about da fibroi...stuff k den. wounta been so dogmatical. and yea; puke requires emergency da kine.

But the way the adverts have it, if everyone does a daily spray with all these plug in, squirt on new products on all surfaces in the house, that magically makes our lives better.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            wel, then if ya told me about da fibroi...stuff k den. wounta been so dogmatical. and yea; puke requires emergency da kine.

But the way the adverts have it, if everyone does a daily spray with all these plug in, squirt on new products on all surfaces in the house, that magically makes our lives better.
                            The ad agencies are being paid to convince us of that. That's the name of the game! No need to let it get to ya.

As far as the commercials are concerned...I hope they just keep on makin' 'em, regardless of how silly or frivolous the product might be! Yup! Keep 'em comin'!

Comment

Speaking of the rain... decided to document some of the wet weather in Waikiki this afternoon.

Comment

you did that?! coo whul!

Comment

Working...
                                X