Record-breaking rains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Record-breaking rains

Left Lihue around 5:15 am this morning and drove over to Mana, along the way I noticed 12 different lightning flashes coming from the south west, by the time we reached Mana at 6:30 am the lightning flashes were coming from the eastern direction.

Was nice weather at Mana from then to about 10:30 am. No wind, blue skies, with some clouds.

It started to rain after 10:30 am but we were finished at Mana and headed back to Waimea for some lunch. It rained on and off during lunch. Headed back to Lihue after 12:00 noon, the roads were dry after Eleele.

It started to rain around 2:30 pm, then it stopped and now (at 3:20 pm) I can hear thunder over Lihue (the drapes are down so I can't see if any lightning, but so far the thunder's sound is long in duration.

Comment

Thunder and heavy rain continued most of the afternoon here on the windward side, where we got the worst of today's weather. It was almost -- almost -- as bad as Friday was. Check out the footage on the TV news. Waimanalo to Kahuku got hammered. Electricity here in Kaneohe flickered on and off several times too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Here at the Bishop Museum, it was rather dark but only about a half hour of rain midday. We could see the very gloomy mountains and heard the thunder's roar a few times. I've been here since 7:30 this morning and get to go at 8pm. I'm sooo ready it's been a long day. Glad the weather held good for the event today.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Both daily papers have been showing lots of photos, as have some of the 'regulars' here on HT. Here are two taken by a friend of Ian Lind's:

Flooded mailtruck in Kahala:
          http://www.tagworld.com/rowland915/P...c-09d7a6348bf5

Note the water level inside the car, almost to the top of the dashboard:
          http://www.tagworld.com/rowland915/P...7-058f2786978c

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
            Here at the Bishop Museum, it was rather dark but only about a half hour of rain midday
            Were you working Saturday? Kimo and I came by the museum for a few minutes. We were in the green minivan (borrowed). I asked where to park and someone (was it you?) said, "That silver car is leaving, you can park over there." I sat in the van and read while Kimo ran into the museum for a few minutes.

As if you'd even remember such an interchange! Well, anyway, that was us. I would have said something, but I didn't know you worked there.

Back on topic: A museum is a fine way to spend a rainy day!
            Last edited by MadAzza; April 3, 2006, 08:48 AM. Reason: get it back on topic

Comment

Just a manini sidebar to all this, but over the weekend I heard Joe Moore refer to his KHON station as being "the severe weather station".
              Hard to imagine that KGMB relinquished that title.

Comment

I had thought KGMB had started to step back from that slogan, but obviously during the past month they put that promo (with its cheesy action-movie synth soundtrack) back into high rotation. Deadly dam breaches! Landslides! Flooding! Road closures! I actually got the distinct impression that KGMB was glad for the bad weather.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  I had thought KGMB had started to step back from that slogan, but obviously during the past month they put that promo (with its cheesy action-movie synth soundtrack) back into high rotation. Deadly dam breaches! Landslides! Flooding! Road closures! I actually got the distinct impression that KGMB was glad for the bad weather.
                  hahaha! Does that mean KGMB only reports on the weather when it's bad? We have a local station up here that bills itself as the "severe weather station" too...and they are now reporting on the severe weather everywhere else but here (we, mercifully, have returned to our normal weather pattern of blue sky/overcast/showers/overcast/blue sky )

What amazes me is all this doppler/satellite technology that's available now. Back in the Pleistocene age, we didn't have the kinds of accurate predictions that can be made now to alert people (if they bother to pay attention to the alerts) to the potential for severe catastrophes. We truly were more at the mercy of Mother Nature back then.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    What amazes me is all this doppler/satellite technology that's available now. Back in the Pleistocene age, we didn't have the kinds of accurate predictions that can be made now to alert people
                    What amazes me is how often they get it wrong with all this new fangled equipment they's got.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

What amazes me is all this doppler/satellite technology that's available now. Back in the Pleistocene age, we didn't have the kinds of accurate predictions
                      I still don't get the visuals afforded by this accurate technology; Big pixelated multicolored ugly chunky squares randomly jumping across some geographical map of the islands...

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                        What amazes me is how often they get it wrong with all this new fangled equipment they's got.
                        I think predicting the weather will always be an "art" and not a "science" myself. How does the Farmer's Almanac predict weather as accurately as it does? By examining the corns on the Editors' toes???

Heheheheh. Here's the prediction from the Farmer's Almanac for this period in Hawai'i...bet you guys wish the editors' corns hadn't been aching, eh?

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; April 4, 2006, 09:41 AM.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
                          Sorry Auntie. Da tundah an lightneen, get get, no mo, no mo. You know, in out, in out.........not l'daaat. An rain, oni small kine get. Oni lillobit.

Wow! As of right now, still get tundah and lightneen. An mo loud, l'dat. Still oni lillobit rain.

Oh, I heard some rain on da roofs. Das means get moah den lillobit rain. Get lillobit moah rain. <ROFLMAO>

An das da latest weddah repawt from da centro highlands. Da Rolling Eye signing off. An das da way wuz.
                          Good lord - I actually UNDERSTOOD this! What can that mean - Armageddon?
                          (Don't worry, I still can't SPEAK Pidgin.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

Good lord - I actually UNDERSTOOD this! What can that mean - Armageddon?
                            Almost, but not quite as bad and hilarious as Pomai's Chinese waitress story.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                              Almost, but not quite as bad and hilarious as Pomai's Chinese waitress story.
                              Thanks Lurkah. Didn't catch any earlier threads. That was classic! <LOL>
                              Thanks to Pomai for sharing that one. Brought back fond memories of our favorite Chinese restaurants.

Comment

Working...
                              X